A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
Enzo G. Castellari's 1977 La via della droga a.k.a. The Heroin Busters
score by Goblin

By inksb

John Wick Chapter 4 dir by Chad Stahelski

I was a little apprehensive going into this film with a 2hr50m run time. They did not waste a minute of that, I was floored by how much action there was and how little exposition scenes there were. Overall if you like John Wick action films you will enjoy this one. Donnie Yen as a blind assassin was fantastic, Scott Adkins weirdly in a fat suit playing a scummy German gangster and the usual cast of John Wick characters return. It was a lot of fun to see it on the big screen.

Martin dir by George A. Romero

First time watch for me and was exactly what I expected after hearing about it for years. A great little film about a "vampire". I've been knocking off some of the lesser known Romero films lately, watched The Dark Half a few weeks ago and I'm going to continue by checking out The Crazies (which I saw 20+ years ago) and Knight Riders. The new 4K UHD from Second Sight is really nice, the films looks fantastic.

Super Cop 2
dir by Stanley Tong

I had no idea this existed, saw it listed on a top 5 Michelle Yeoh films list recently and tracked down a copy. This needs a restoration bad, the film is excellent and really deserves to be seen by more people. There are some really fantastic fight scenes in here and the story is pretty fun as well. The whole cast is great and there's one scene with Jackie in drag trying catch a bad guy, it's the only connection to the first one and he's gone right after.
By ScoJo
‘Lesser Romero’? Dark Half, Martin and Crazies?

*eyes narrow, slowly unsheathes blade*
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:07 pm ‘Lesser Romero’? Dark Half, Martin and Crazies?

You dropped or missed a very important word in there

'lesser known Romero'
There's a big difference ;)

I framed it that way because everyone always talks about Creepshow and the Dead films. The others seem to be overlooked or just not in the conversation. The Dark Half is incredible, my wife absolutely loved it which I wasn't sure if she would like it or not.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:35 pm
ScoJo wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:07 pm ‘Lesser Romero’? Dark Half, Martin and Crazies?

You dropped or missed a very important word in there

'lesser known Romero'
There's a big difference ;)

I framed it that way because everyone always talks about Creepshow and the Dead films. The others seem to be overlooked or just not in the conversation. The Dark Half is incredible, my wife absolutely loved it which I wasn't sure if she would like it or not.
Haha, you’re spot on - I guess I misread it intentionally so I could flex my performative ‘Romero Stan’ muscle ;-)

Cool that Dark Half went down so well with Mrs Inky, is she into King generally? I think I’ve found it to be a flick that his fans appreciate a lot more than general horror-film hounds. Might be wrong.

Crazies absolutely terrified and scarred me seeing it on tv as a kid - parts of it I wasn’t sure I hadn’t dreamt/made up until I saw again much later - yep, all that craziness was right there. I think it’s an extraordinary movie.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:52 pm Haha, you’re spot on - I guess I misread it intentionally so I could flex my performative ‘Romero Stan’ muscle ;-)

Cool that Dark Half went down so well with Mrs Inky, is she into King generally? I think I’ve found it to be a flick that his fans appreciate a lot more than general horror-film hounds. Might be wrong.

Crazies absolutely terrified and scarred me seeing it on tv as a kid - parts of it I wasn’t sure I hadn’t dreamt/made up until I saw again much later - yep, all that craziness was right there. I think it’s an extraordinary movie.
Yeah, she likes King but hasn't read a ton of his work, very much a casual fan. While watching it she asked if it was based on a King story because it felt like it (she's notorious for not reading opening titles so she had no idea). She notorious for asking what we are watching seconds after the title was just on the screen. I'm pretty sure she does it 40% of the time on purpose and the other 60% unintentionally.

Crazies should be a fun rewatch for me, I've only seen it once and it's very hazy for me so it'll be like watching it for the first time.
By ScoJo
My own better half has a movie quirk too - after much discussion, research and debate, she’ll agree to a movie (which I have almost certainly already seen) and then five minutes in: ‘Nope’

Especially genre films it’s a rare one that passes this mark - the last one I recall is MI: 1 which went down pretty well
By Hatter313
I love the dark half and rank it VERY high in both Romero’s filmography and King adaptations.

I wish it was more well known so people know what I’m going on about when I tell them they are “disturbing the peaceful frame of mind that I am in”
By Bezulsqy
Excellent suggestions above! I am sure I have seen The Dark Half on VHS back then. Can't remember much about it. Martin I have seen as well 20 years ago... Crazies I don't think I have seen.

I decided to try Letterboxd to keep track of the movies I have seen. The last five years or so I have been pretty consistently posting them here and for the giallo/poliziotteschi I have excel files. But it all has become a bit much to handle. So one placce where I can put everything is a good idea.
@Skeletonbut mentioned it in 2019 as an idea for me to try - but I wasn't ready then :-)
Now I need to go through 250 pages of this thread :-)
By inksb
let me know what your user name is on there once you get it set up. I am trying to use it again, I'm terrible at logging movies on there but I'll get the itch to try every 6-12 months.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:38 pm let me know what your user name is on there once you get it set up. I am trying to use it again, I'm terrible at logging movies on there but I'll get the itch to try every 6-12 months.
Same name I use here.
I managed to add most of the movies from past 15 months…
By Bezulsqy
Fernando Di Leo's Diamanti sporchi di sangue a.k.a. Blood and Diamonds
score by Luis Enriquez Bacalov

By inksb

Versus dir by Ryûhei Kitamura

I haven't seen this since it hit DVD over 20 years ago. I saw a trailer for it randomly recently and decided to revisit it. It's still as ridiculous as I remembered. It feels equal parts 90's Tarantino rip off, Evil Dead 2 kinetic energy (and camera work) and Miike level of Japanese violence. All rolled into one, it's a pretty fun time. I actually watched what was called Ultimate Versus which apparently is a version from 2004 where the director filmed 10 minutes of new scenes and cut them into the original film. There were definitely some shots that looked different but overall it's been so long I couldn't directly tell you what as new and what was old. I had a blast revisiting it.

Screenshot 2023-04-17 130649.jpg
Screenshot 2023-04-17 130649.jpg (58 KiB) Viewed 927 times

Iron Monkey dir by Woo Ping Yuen

Long been on my list of martial arts films to watch, I finally decided to sit down and give this one a go. Directed by "THE" action choreographer of the 90's & early 00's, Woo Ping Yuen. What is funny is that he directed a lot of great martial arts film from the late 70's to early 90's before becoming the sought after choreographer for Hollywood. Two early Jackie classics, Snake in the Eagles Shadow & Drunken Master, Tiger Cage films, In the Line of Duty 4 and Sammo's Magnificent Butcher. All that to say Iron Monkey is on par with those, if not better than a lot of them. At first I wasn't really feeling the tone, it was doing a lot of wire work and minimal fight choreography, the characters were very serious or goofy but after the first 10-15 minutes it started to fall in place and I was sucked in. The fights were really good in the 2nd and 3rd act. Donnie Yen stars and pretty much every fight he's involved with was highly entertaining. If you're looking for a good martial arts flick that may not be on your radar give this one a go, you'll have a great time.
By Bezulsqy
Enzo G. Castellari's 1976 Il grande racket a.k.a. The Big Racket
fantastic score by Guido & Maurizio De Angelis

By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:38 pm let me know what your user name is on there once you get it set up. I am trying to use it again, I'm terrible at logging movies on there but I'll get the itch to try every 6-12 months.
I went through the last 100 pages of this thread and I am the start of the Covid pandemic :-)
Added just over 600 titles...
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:01 pm
I went through the last 100 pages of this thread and I am the start of the Covid pandemic :-)
Added just over 600 titles...
Damn! You are far more dedicated to it than me. I feel pretty good though I've kept consistent for almost 2 weeks now lol
By Bezulsqy
Franco Prosperi's 1976 Pronto ad uccidere a.k.a. Meet Him and Die
score by Ubaldo Continiello

By Bezulsqy
My girlfriend and I finished watching the show Beef (on Netflix). We both found it to be excellent!
By Bezulsqy
Carlo Ausino's 1977 Torino violenta a.k.a. Double Game
score by Stelvio Cipriani

By inksb

Enemy dir by Denis Villeneuve

According to my computer this film has been on my hard drive since 2014, I've always intended to watch it as the Mrs loves Jake Gyllenhaal but we just never got around to it. @ScoJo's recent praise of the score reminded me that I still hadn't watched it so we put it on last night. I really enjoyed it, Gyllenhaal's performance is excellent, I was surprised by how small it felt, it's basically him and the two woman for 90% of the film. Shot beautifully and the score is really great (added that one to the list). I had no idea that Villeneuve directed this, I'm honestly not very familiar with most of his work outside of the big ones like Dune and BR2049. I've heard Prisoners is good, should I check that one out?

@bez I'm about half way through Beef and really enjoying it as well, Steven Yuen and Ali Wong are so damn good in it.

We also tried to watch Graveyard Shift this weekend but my wife is very sensitive to animals being used in films and all the rats that were screeching from being picked up from their tails was a bit too much so after 10 minutes I had to shut it off, I'll watch it by myself later this week.

Any one watch Ted Lasso? I've heard it's great for years but I kind of dislike Jason Sudekis so I just ignored it. Well I decided to give it a go recently and holy hell is it a great show and honestly the best role he's ever had. We just finished season 2 this weekend and about to start season 3, I'm gonna be sad when we're all caught up
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:36 pm Image

Enemy dir by Denis Villeneuve

According to my computer this film has been on my hard drive since 2014, I've always intended to watch it as the Mrs loves Jake Gyllenhaal but we just never got around to it. @ScoJo's recent praise of the score reminded me that I still hadn't watched it so we put it on last night. I really enjoyed it, Gyllenhaal's performance is excellent, I was surprised by how small it felt, it's basically him and the two woman for 90% of the film. Shot beautifully and the score is really great (added that one to the list). I had no idea that Villeneuve directed this, I'm honestly not very familiar with most of his work outside of the big ones like Dune and BR2049. I've heard Prisoners is good, should I check that one out?

@bez I'm about half way through Beef and really enjoying it as well, Steven Yuen and Ali Wong are so damn good in it.

We also tried to watch Graveyard Shift this weekend but my wife is very sensitive to animals being used in films and all the rats that were screeching from being picked up from their tails was a bit too much so after 10 minutes I had to shut it off, I'll watch it by myself later this week.

Any one watch Ted Lasso? I've heard it's great for years but I kind of dislike Jason Sudekis so I just ignored it. Well I decided to give it a go recently and holy hell is it a great show and honestly the best role he's ever had. We just finished season 2 this weekend and about to start season 3, I'm gonna be sad when we're all caught up
I liked Prisoners as well. Still need to see Enemy. Same as you I never noticed those films were directed by Villeneuve.

And the acting in Beef from those two is fantastic.