Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

User avatar
By deafmetal
#121844
Nathan setting the bar very high right out of the gate. Looking forward to other contributions to this thread, and I need to work on my own.
User avatar
By NathanLurker
#121846
inksb wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:59 pm That's great. I love that you brought in the LP's and bluray's.
Yeah it's the kind of work environment where they won't know what it's from if I don't show them haha. I wanted to be able to say ''I'm the main Zombie from Zombie.''
deafmetal wrote:Nathan setting the bar very high right out of the gate. Looking forward to other contributions to this thread, and I need to work on my own.
Thanks man. Yeah start thinking about it, Halloween is getting closer. My Zombie costume is one that I've re-used, it's originally from last year, I went with my girlfriend, she was disguised as Susan (post throat bite) it was great, but nobody knew who we were.
User avatar
By Mateo Sanboval
#122470
That picture of Shatner dressed as a blue collar Oedipus hanging out with his dog is pretty great.
User avatar
By ScoJo
#122480
After a looong week of teaching kids Halloween animation, a quick rest stop awaiting my carriage to go out trick r treating with fam, then off to the flicks for Doctor Sleep.

Have a great night, goys n ghouls :D

IMG_1147.JPG
IMG_1147.JPG (244.13 KiB) Viewed 168 times
User avatar
By NathanLurker
#122482
ooh let us know how Doctor Sleep is. I read the book a while ago and I don't see how people who are only fan of the Kubrick movie will enjoy this. I feel like it's bound to disappoint everyone expecting a sequel. It goes a lot more into Dark Fantasy than horror, imo.
User avatar
By ScoJo
#122485
NathanLurker wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:11 pm ooh let us know how Doctor Sleep is. I read the book a while ago and I don't see how people who are only fan of the Kubrick movie will enjoy this. I feel like it's bound to disappoint everyone expecting a sequel. It goes a lot more into Dark Fantasy than horror, imo.
Roger wilco, my report to follow.

My expectations (after having not read novel/based on first trailer) are very low tbh. Not a big fan of either Flanagan or Ewan - and that whole 'King approved version of The Shining directed by Garris' still makes my eyes itch just thinking about it. I honestly think that this will at best be 'inoffensive/ok' (like most of Haunting of Hill House and some other of MF's films) and at worst a real shit show (like the godawful schmaltzy last ep of HOHH when it turns into the fucking Wonder Years/Thirtysomething) Still, looking forward to a King flick in the theatre tonight, trying to keep an open mind.
User avatar
By Hatter313
#122486
ScoJo wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:32 pm
NathanLurker wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:11 pm ooh let us know how Doctor Sleep is. I read the book a while ago and I don't see how people who are only fan of the Kubrick movie will enjoy this. I feel like it's bound to disappoint everyone expecting a sequel. It goes a lot more into Dark Fantasy than horror, imo.
Roger wilco, my report to follow.

My expectations (after having not read novel/based on first trailer) are very low tbh. Not a big fan of either Flanagan or Ewan - and that whole 'King approved version of The Shining directed by Garris' still makes my eyes itch just thinking about it. I honestly think that this will at best be 'inoffensive/ok' (like most of Haunting of Hill House and some other of MF's films) and at worst a real shit show (like the godawful schmaltzy last ep of HOHH when it turns into the fucking Wonder Years/Thirtysomething) Still, looking forward to a King flick in the theatre tonight, trying to keep an open mind.
So real quick, not to thread jack, but i can't stand MF. i keep wanting to like his work. a friend of mine considers him his new favorite director and i just can't get behind it. and i think a lot of this is because of the above. I don't object to a happy ending, but that last hour of HOHH was just so out of left field sentimental and was not the ending to the story we had been watching. from the way those characters felt about and were impacted by that house, the answer is burn the thing down, not whatever the hell that last hour ended up being. He leans too into sap, and instead of it feeling genuine or tender or emotionally resonant, his work repeatedly has these sentimental endings that feel unearned and inauthentic. again, I'm not opposed to a happy ending, i generally prefer it, i'm not a nihilist, but for crying out loud dude if you want to go there you better earn it and you better learn how to write that kind of stuff, because laying on the saccharine at the last second and throwing out your set up isn't "surprising" or interesting, its a cop out and a cheap ploy to pull a heartstring because you didn't have the guts to burn the damn house down OR end it on a dour note. trying to have it both ways and virtually destroying any good will i had for the previous 9 hours. He's doing turn of the screw this time around and i'm sure it will just be the most depressingly sad ting in the world with another undeserved schmaltzy ending. by all means, keep taking classic ghost stories whose power largely rests in the unanswered question of "is it real or is she just crazy" and make it about overcoming grief so we can all have a good cry.

Sorry, i really ended up hating that whole thing so much because of that last hour. i had forgiven the fact that it wasn't a true adaptation early on but now i'm just mad that he didn't just do the book.
User avatar
By deafmetal
#122488
Well said, @hatter. Part of me does not want to watch Doctor Sleep because I don't want to sour my enjoyment from reading the book or mess with anything related to Kubrick's The Shining. I was already pissed off enough from the really lame addition to Ready Player One (which was another huge letdown). All that said, I can't not watch it because I just have to know...
User avatar
By ScoJo
#122489
@hatter.

Hate away. I was being even-handed tbh, I agree with everything you say.

Oh, and I am a confirmed cynic- so it's probably all the more brutal for me heh heh

Having said that- pumpkins carved, a solid showing of twenty families trick or treating, pumpkin curry... and we're OFF TO SEE THE WIZARD (ie Mr Stephen King)
User avatar
By inksb
#122490
If it's any consolation, that ending while shit in HOHH was not what made me dislike the show, it was the shit characters that I could give two fucks about. That ending was just the icing on the cake I didn't want to eat to begin with. I actually like MF, I really enjoyed Hush, thought Oculus was decent and aside from some of the shit CG Ouija had it's moments. I think he's a competant director but nothing he's done has earned him the praise he seems to get from a lot of people. Also the other King adaption was alright on Netflix, can't remember the name but the one with the woman handcuffed to the bed.
User avatar
By Hatter313
#122491
inksb wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:44 pm If it's any consolation, that ending while shit in HOHH was not what made me dislike the show, it was the shit characters that I could give two fucks about. That ending was just the icing on the cake I didn't want to eat to begin with. I actually like MF, I really enjoyed Hush, thought Oculus was decent and aside from some of the shit CG Ouija had it's moments. I think he's a competant director but nothing he's done has earned him the praise he seems to get from a lot of people. Also the other King adaption was alright on Netflix, can't remember the name but the one with the woman handcuffed to the bed.
Gerald's Game. a weaker King made weaker by the director.

I'm not usually this grumpy about movies. if i dislike something i just move on and forget about it, but like a lot fo us on here. King gets a special attention.

Meanwhile, my October festivities are still rather staid, but in a few years the nephew will be of age to trick or treat for real and then its ON!

until then, i'm working form my couch and watching the Ray Bradbury Halloween Tree cartoon in between universal monster outings,. tonights main affair will be NOTLD i think, i'll see who is around to come over.
User avatar
By inksb
#122492
Hatter313 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:52 pm
inksb wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:44 pm If it's any consolation, that ending while shit in HOHH was not what made me dislike the show, it was the shit characters that I could give two fucks about. That ending was just the icing on the cake I didn't want to eat to begin with. I actually like MF, I really enjoyed Hush, thought Oculus was decent and aside from some of the shit CG Ouija had it's moments. I think he's a competant director but nothing he's done has earned him the praise he seems to get from a lot of people. Also the other King adaption was alright on Netflix, can't remember the name but the one with the woman handcuffed to the bed.
Gerald's Game. a weaker King made weaker by the director.

I'm not usually this grumpy about movies. if i dislike something i just move on and forget about it, but like a lot fo us on here. King gets a special attention.

Meanwhile, my October festivities are still rather staid, but in a few years the nephew will be of age to trick or treat for real and then its ON!

until then, i'm working form my couch and watching the Ray Bradbury Halloween Tree cartoon in between universal monster outings,. tonights main affair will be NOTLD i think, i'll see who is around to come over.
I introduced my wife to Halloween Tree a few years back (maybe even last year?) and she was blown away that she had never seen it. I've loved that since I was a kid. I had a hard time finding years ago because I lost my VHS tape. Eventually I found a DVD or TV rip. Tonight I'll be watching Trick R Treat, the animated short Dougherty did for MTV that Sam came from, maybe the Garfield Halloween special and playing some Luigi's Mansion 3 (spooooooky)
User avatar
By ScoJo
#122501
deafmetal wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:17 pm Well said, @hatter. Part of me does not want to watch Doctor Sleep because I don't want to sour my enjoyment from reading the book or mess with anything related to Kubrick's The Shining. I was already pissed off enough from the really lame addition to Ready Player One (which was another huge letdown). All that said, I can't not watch it because I just have to know...
Don't go, @deaf. If you're not wanting to see SK's film fucked with... this be not the film for you.

(Damnyou, man - I had succesfully blocked all thoughts about RP1, esp that fucking nightmarish Shining sequence.)

As for Dr Sleep... I didn't like it. Will stay tight lipped for now, save to say there were parts that reminded me of Sleepwalkers for some reason. Not a good thing. And I think I have finally figured out my main prob with his style - try as he might (and he tries real hard), he just seems incapable of writing a character I care about. This was no exception in that regard, and possibly the worst yet.

I slept.