A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
EvanCampbell wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:09 pm 20220724_115145.jpg
You read my mind, I’ve been thinking about revisiting this all week. Soon
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:28 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:15 am
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:11 am

I am very curious what you will think.

It may not be to everyone’s taste but I really really enjoyed it. He’s his fathers son and if you like the way King tells a story and some of the tropes he uses I think you’ll dig. I really loved it, no frills throwback. I hope you dig!
I watched it last night and enjoyed the hell out of it. My wife thought it was good but definitely wasn't as into as I was. I thought Ethan did a great job in his roll, utilizing the different voices to elicit different reactions out of the audience. And the little sister I thought stole the show, the scene with her father was one of the most intense and effecting scenes in the film. Now it may not have the same effect on everyone as it probably depends on if you yourself have been involved in that type of family dynamic but let me just say it brought some memories back that I had buried pretty deep (just to clarify, I was never physically abused like that by my family but I had the displeasure of watching my friend in a very similar situation).
I loved how it looked. And I loved the idea. I did not find it scary enough or lacking tension. Especially after watching The Innocents.
By EvanCampbell
20220727_215747.jpg
20220727_215747.jpg (534.71 KiB) Viewed 1267 times

Another jack Palance and MartinLandau pairing. I had not seen this on a long time. Very enjoyable and the ending is Palance gold.
By ScoJo
A great weekend watch, Bez. Speaking of which...

IMG_3068.JPG
IMG_3068.JPG (139.87 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:41 am A great weekend watch, Bez. Speaking of which...

IMG_3068.JPG
Just got a chance to catch this on the big screen last week. Have seen almost all of Carpenter in theaters now.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:14 pm
ScoJo wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:41 am A great weekend watch, Bez. Speaking of which...

IMG_3068.JPG
Just got a chance to catch this on the big screen last week.
Shitter.

;-)
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:42 pm

IMG_3068.JPG
Just got a chance to catch this on the big screen last week.
Shitter.

;-)
I’m selling this shithole and buying a condo
By inksb

IMG_3068.JPG
Just got a chance to catch this on the big screen last week. Have seen almost all of Carpenter in theaters now.
I would love to see Christine on the big screen. I've only seen Halloween, The Thing and Escape from LA on the big screen. Would love to see more. I missed a screening of Big Trouble a few years ago which was a huge bummer.
By inksb

Men dir by Alex Garland

This was not quite what I expected and it went a direction I wasn't entirely sure they would go. Some truly horrifying imagery in this one and a very solid cast. Score was quite good as well. Definitely recommend checking it out if you're a fan of Garland's work.

Dual dir by Riley Stearns

A film with a very interesting concept that doesn't quite work in execution for a few reasons. Basic set up is that if you are going to die there is a company that can create a double of you, which you take home with you and train to replace you when you die, making it easier on your loved ones. I find that really cool concept. The film itself kind of takes the awkward indie approach to it's acting and execution of scenes, I kind of wanted it played more seriously tbh. Overall I enjoyed it but it didn't quite work for me.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:24 pm

IMG_3068.JPG
I would love to see Christine on the big screen. I've only seen Halloween, The Thing and Escape from LA on the big screen. Would love to see more. I missed a screening of Big Trouble a few years ago which was a huge bummer.
I’ve got an Alamo right around the corner from me so that’s helped a lot. I’ve actually seen Big trouble a few times in theaters, same with Halloween, the thing, and EFNY.
By ScoJo
For you old school fx heads, highly recommend Lawrence Kasdan's 6-part series LIGHT & MAGIC on the history of ILM. Even managed to coax my lady into this one, we're a couple of eps in and loving it.

After this we're looking forward to starting THE LAST MOVIE STARS, Ethan Hawke's six part doc about Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.

Lastly, on the doc tip - I also just discovered a new film about Patricia Highsmith, LOVING HIGHSMITH. Excellent reviews, I'll def be jumping on that. Have read a ton of her books but know next to nothing about her life.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:16 pm For you old school fx heads, highly recommend Lawrence Kasdan's 6-part series LIGHT & MAGIC on the history of ILM. Even managed to coax my lady into this one, we're a couple of eps in and loving it.

After this we're looking forward to starting THE LAST MOVIE STARS, Ethan Hawke's six part doc about Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.

Lastly, on the doc tip - I also just discovered a new film about Patricia Highsmith, LOVING HIGHSMITH. Excellent reviews, I'll def be jumping on that. Have read a ton of her books but know next to nothing about her life.
I had a friend message me last night about the ILM doc saying it's a must watch. So I'll probably be moving it up the watch list
By ScoJo
As I'm still not really doing cinemas was really pleased that a friend in the film biz managed to hook me up with a screener of Nope. Been eagerly looking forward to this new Jordan Peele joint, more Twilight Zone-esque shenanigans it seemed from the trailer. I will say, that first trailer did a terrific job of sortof misleading you as to where this story would go, and what specific films/genre it would be referencing. I avoided the second trailer.

I fucking loved this movie. That's all I will say for now. The pre-release misdirect worked perfectly on me and once I knew what I was actually in for, even sat watching at home by myself, I let out a few whoops n hollers as things unfurled. I can only imagine this working gangbusters in a crowded theatre on a saturday night.

LOVED it. Can't wait to see it again!
By ScoJo
EvanCampbell wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:43 am First watch for me. I enjoyed it and nice music by Dan Wynman...that guy gets no love
I Love Wyman!
By inksb
I was a big fan as well. I had mentioned to my friend after we left that US felt like a Twilight Zone episode and Nope felt like a X-Files episode. Nope definitely feels like a Twilight Zone episode as well but I felt some of the first act compared more to X-Files. The cast was so good, I think the lead did a fantastic job portraying a character that is the son of Keith David.
By ChrisMcQueen007
First time watch. Have been intrigued by the film for years, love the score, and think Barilli‘s The Perfume of the Lady in Black is fantastic - but held out for a ‚proper‘ way to see this rather than a VHS rip on YouTube. Now got the Mondo Macabro blu and have high expectations.
Attachments
E2136BBF-87BE-472E-AAA6-A350DDE3042F.jpeg
E2136BBF-87BE-472E-AAA6-A350DDE3042F.jpeg (289.33 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
By ScoJo
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:55 pm First time watch. Have been intrigued by the film for years, love the score, and think Barilli‘s The Perfume of the Lady in Black is fantastic - but held out for a ‚proper‘ way to see this rather than a VHS rip on YouTube. Now got the Mondo Macabro blu and have high expectations.
GREAT movie! Enjoy.

Saw it at a horror festival once with Barilli in attendance. Pretty old school guy, quite intense.
By ChrisMcQueen007
ScoJo wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:59 pm
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:55 pm First time watch. Have been intrigued by the film for years, love the score, and think Barilli‘s The Perfume of the Lady in Black is fantastic - but held out for a ‚proper‘ way to see this rather than a VHS rip on YouTube. Now got the Mondo Macabro blu and have high expectations.
GREAT movie! Enjoy.

Saw it at a horror festival once with Barilli in attendance. Pretty old school guy, quite intense.
Need to ‚digest’ the experience but for sure enjoyed it. There is an interview with Barilli from 2015 at Cine-Excess in London, maybe that was the festival you attended (?).
By inksb
I almost picked that one up, I will probably grab the standard edition once it's available.
By ChrisMcQueen007
inksb wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:35 pm I almost picked that one up, I will probably grab the standard edition once it's available.
That‘s the one I have, got it from amazon.
By ScoJo
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:26 pm
ScoJo wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:59 pm
GREAT movie! Enjoy.

Need to ‚digest’ the experience but for sure enjoyed it. There is an interview with Barilli from 2015 at Cine-Excess in London, maybe that was the festival you attended (?).
Same festival/tour, but here in my hometown in the Midlands :D