A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb

The Vast of Night. Dir by Andrew Patterson
This is quite the debut film. Incredibly impressive camera work, a tight script and fantastic performances. The opening was a bit overbearing with how fast a character was talking but once I settled into the flow and realized I was watching an incredibly long tracking shot I was sucked right in. My friend has been trying to get me to watch this for almost a year now, glad I finally did. Really great film and highly recommended.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:23 pm Image

The Vast of Night. Dir by Andrew Patterson
This is quite the debut film. Incredibly impressive camera work, a tight script and fantastic performances. The opening was a bit overbearing with how fast a character was talking but once I settled into the flow and realized I was watching an incredibly long tracking shot I was sucked right in. My friend has been trying to get me to watch this for almost a year now, glad I finally did. Really great film and highly recommended.
i deeply loved this film. looking forward to the directors future career, everything about it clicked with me.
By inksb

Leviathan. Dir by George P Cosmatos
I thought I had seen this one, there are a bunch of 80's aquatic horror films that I mix up for some odd reason. I definitely have not seen this and really glad I actually watched it. A fucking blast. Great special effects, excellent cast. It's essentially underwater Alien/Aliens which is fine because the cast carries the film.

Skull: A Máscara de Anhangá. Dir by Armando Fonseca & Kapel Furman
This popped up on Shudder last week, I thought the poster looked interesting checked out the trailer on youtube and saw tons of really great special effects and decided to watch it. Well it has tons of really great special effects. That's pretty much it, the plot is a basic outline that never got fleshed out more than, the mask kills lots of people and some one who's family has protected the mask for years must stop it. I can't really recommend it other than if you want to kill 90 minutes with mildly entertaining slasher with cool effects.

Sator. Dir by Jordan Graham
This on the other hand was excellent and I recommend it to any one who likes slow burn creepy films. I'm a sucker for films that create "local legend" type mythology. At first I wasn't sure what to think, there wasn't much talking other than two characters barely audible saying a few things, establishing the environment with big beautiful landscape shots and weird black & white 4:3 flashbacks. A large portion of the film you will be questioning what the fuck is happening or has happened? It's not quite clear what the time line is. Even as the film ends you understand the order of events but there are large gaps in the events that transpired that leave you wondering exactly what unfolded. I don't need to know those things but I thought about them for a while afterwards. This definitely won't be for everyone, I can see it being a very divisive movie but for me everything just clicked. There is some genuinely creepy imagery in here that just lets you stare at it, not jump scares, slow revealing tension. I do have to applaud the filmmaker for actually shooting at night too, this film would not have worked nearly as well as it did if it didn't have pitch black shots with a few low lit lamps. A lot of films will shoot in daytime and slap a dark blue/grey filter on it for it's night shots because it's expensive to shoot at night, it always sticks out like a sore thumb to me.
By Bezulsqy
@inksb
Vinyljunkie recommended Sator a while back. I understand the appeal but I didn't care for it too much because I was expecting something else. I was hoping to watch something really scary but it is not that type of film. Very well made though. I believe Vinyljunkie wrote that the director had a history of mental illness in his family and that was the major inspiration for Sator. With that in the back of my mind I believe he nailed it.

Good call on Leviathan. I have never seen it. Will do soon. I watched Underwater last weekend. I believe you mentioned that one recently. I enjoyed it a lot. Well made as well.

Have you watched The Empty Man? Another one Vinyljunkie recommended as well as ScoJo: viewtopic.php?p=139024#p139024

Where I live the sun has been shining for the last ten days which means I cannot bring myself to watch movies during the daytime. And during the week I don't have the opportunity to watch them in the evening/night. Next weekend I'm going to catch up a bit.
At least one French crime movie (probably revisit Le Samourai) and a giallo. And might continue with Tony Scott.
By inksb
I remember someone mentioning Sator on here which is why I had scribbled it in my notepad a while ago (yes I write down movie recommendations in a notepad both physical and digital) but I couldn't remember much other than they had liked. So thanks @vinyljunkie for the recommendation! I've been meaning to check out The Empty Man but haven't got to it yet. If you have a copy of that or Séance I'd take them ;)
By vinyljunkie
No prob guys, glad you enjoyed it! Havent seen any films as of late that I would recommend here -- though the latest season of Inside No. 9 is brilliant as ever!
By inksb
So much praise for Inside No. 9 and I've only ever watched the first few episodes
By vinyljunkie
inksb wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:00 pm So much praise for Inside No. 9 and I've only ever watched the first few episodes
oh man, i think its been the most consistently brilliant show since it first aired in 2014! Not just smart, dark and obviously twisted, but also some of the episodes have sooo much heart...
By Bezulsqy
I also watched The Vigil on Vinyljunkies recommendation. I liked it a lot.

Recently I watched The Seventh Day which was an fine new possession horror movie. Also The Djinn. That one was okay.
I still have to see Son. That one sounds interesting enough.
By inksb
I've heard mixed things on The Djinn. Seems some people love it and others are so so on it.

I wish we could have seen Tobe Hooper's original Djinn, I remember hearing an interview with Mick Garris saying it was a very different film than what eventually came out, while not perfect he thought Hooper fans would have enjoyed it.
By ChrisMcQueen007
First time watch. Have been wanting to see this for quite some time. Early 80ties slasher, Jennifer Jason Leigh in one of her first roles, Ken Wiederhorn directing, effects by Tom Savini, score by Richard Einhorn - can‘t be too bad.
Attachments
811D8CA0-2628-42EA-B8DB-C3D83A7FEA41.jpeg
811D8CA0-2628-42EA-B8DB-C3D83A7FEA41.jpeg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 2022 times
By Bezulsqy
Damiano Damiani's 1974 Perché si uccide un magistrato a.k.a. How to Kill a Judge
score by Riz Ortolani

By Hatter313
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:43 pm Image
I liked this. A little choppy, and not as evenly developed as the previous 2, but I enjoy Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmigia in these roles and like the first two a lot as fun throwbacks. This one suffered from some common flaws I see in a lot of supernatural stuff from the last few years, and I actually would leaned a little heavier into the period paranoia than they did, but as far as mainstream ghost movies go, it was still fun.
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:17 am
I liked this. A little choppy, and not as evenly developed as the previous 2, but I enjoy Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga in these roles and like the first two a lot as fun throwbacks. This one suffered from some common flaws I see in a lot of supernatural stuff from the last few years, and I actually would leaned a little heavier into the period paranoia than they did, but as far as mainstream ghost movies go, it was still fun.
Agreed, this one you really felt the lack of James behind the camera. There were some great moments sprinkled through out but overall it was a bit uneven. Wilson and Farmigia are excellent as always, I really enjoyed John Noble as well, I always loved him as Walter in Fringe. It was worth a watch but definitely the worst of the franchise, I'd even say that the first two Insidious films were better as well.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:08 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:17 am
I liked this. A little choppy, and not as evenly developed as the previous 2, but I enjoy Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga in these roles and like the first two a lot as fun throwbacks. This one suffered from some common flaws I see in a lot of supernatural stuff from the last few years, and I actually would leaned a little heavier into the period paranoia than they did, but as far as mainstream ghost movies go, it was still fun.
Agreed, this one you really felt the lack of James behind the camera. There were some great moments sprinkled through out but overall it was a bit uneven. Wilson and Farmigia are excellent as always, I really enjoyed John Noble as well, I always loved him as Walter in Fringe. It was worth a watch but definitely the worst of the franchise, I'd even say that the first two Insidious films were better as well.
Oh I go to BAT for those first two insidious films, I think they are a blast and threw the first one on right after finishing this. I think Wan gets that these types of movies can very quickly become generic and the focus is more than just the jumps, he gets good actors to play good characters that I actually give a damn about and dresses them up with great production design. It’s what separates his stuff from a lot of the generic ghost stories that we’re getting pumped out for a while. This guy did a decent job emulating his style, and his leads are seasoned and know what they are doing (and let me tell you, making me root for the warrens is a tough sell, I just decided that the characters in the movies are a separate entity entirely and ignore the rest) but where he tripped was the final composition and a failure to take full advantage of the premise. I also think this case in particular comes with some extra issues. People actually died, there’s a LOT of controversy over the plea, the trial, the kid and his mental health struggles etc. this isn’t amityville or the others where at the end of the day we are talking about people telling stories and arguing over it, the stakes are and were that much higher here and so I think there was an effort to be respectful of that while also telling a good possession story. Finding that balance didn’t quite work here. I’d like to see them do another one, (it’ll be the smurl haunting, you heard it here first) but they need to just go nuts and drop any pretense of “based on etc” and just let these fictional versions of the warrens have a blast. Honestly I thought that third annabelle move was a lot of fun simply because it didn’t have to adhere to anything and was just sort of this weird teen horror flick in the middle of this franchise.

And couldn’t agree more on John noble, Walter Bishop is one of the best genre TV characters of all time. He’s always great and I want more of him.
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:53 pm
And couldn’t agree more on John noble, Walter Bishop is one of the best genre TV characters of all time. He’s always great and I want more of him.
John gave that "embarrassed but still happy about what he said" smile in one of the scenes and it immediately made me smile because it reminded me of Walter in Fringe.

Personally I have no attachment or real knowledge of the Warrens. My base knowledge is that they were generally terrible people. That's it. So these films to me are complete fiction. I guess I should check out what this film was based on. It sounds like a fascinating set of events. You have a good source to seek out on it?
By Bezulsqy
For me this is completely fictional as well. I did not know the Conjuring was based on actual events or people.
I remember really loving Annabelle: Creation.
And I enjoyed this one as well.
I stumbled on a ranking of scariest movies recently that placed Sinister at the nr 1 spot. I believe Insidious was second. And Conjuring third. I know I loved all of those.
And that last Ouija movie was really good.
By inksb
I need to rewatch Sinister. I remember enjoying it quite a bit but seeing so many people say it's one of the scariest movies I feel like I watched a completely different movie. Any film that has ninja flipping/dancing child ghosts with "ghost trails" immediately gets me to laugh
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:38 pm I need to rewatch Sinister. I remember enjoying it quite a bit but seeing so many people say it's one of the scariest movies I feel like I watched a completely different movie. Any film that has ninja flipping/dancing child ghosts with "ghost trails" immediately gets me to laugh
I don’t remember those :-)
But I do remember really liking the movie as a scary movie.
Is The Nun any good? I believe I haven’t seen that one because I thought I read only bad things about it. And I am not sure if I have seen the last Annebelle one.