A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By deafmetal
I watched the first four episodes of The Stand with J last night and it was better than I thought it was going to be.

*warning: some revision and plot details*

The revised script is tightly focused on the main characters and jumps around the timeline, so if you are an OG King text diehard (like me) this is might make your jaw clench at the opening scene until you get a better feel for what the writers are trying to do with all the timeline jumps. I will admit it took me a while to get over the shock of the series opening with the characters already in Boulder. I thought I started with the wrong episode or that the stream had jumped way ahead or something. I also smirked when I realized they had updated the story to the modern era, but that may or may not work better to retain viewers. It's not like 1990 is such a monumental era to revisit since these modern superflu viruses are very... timely. As much as I enjoy all the apocalyptic detail in the book, it is really about the main characters and the series is running with that. They have removed all the other mini vignettes and micro storylines, and people get together quickly and their stories get told immediately. There are other revisions to bring things closer together and move the story along at a faster pace. I like most of the characters except would have preferred anybody other than Whoopi Goldberg as Mother Abigail. I'm not sold on Skarsgård yet, but I'm willing to give him a chance as they have not given him that much screen time yet. If Vegas is too much of a lurid clown show this could still end up being a disappointment, but I'm going to give it a chance.
By Bezulsqy
Fernando Di Leo's 1976 I padroni della città a.k.a. Rulers of the City
score by Luis Enriquez Bacalov

By Bezulsqy
I have only seen Relic, Possessor and Come to Daddy from this list:
https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorial ... vies-2020/

I did like all of those. Anyone seen the others on the list? Are they worth checking out?
Swallow I want to see and The Witch: part 1 I have ready to watch but kept playing other movies :-)
But the rest don’t ring a bell.

If I remember correctly there wasn’t a lot of love for The Invisible Man...
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:05 pm I have only seen Relic, Possessor and Come to Daddy from this list:
https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorial ... vies-2020/

I did like all of those. Anyone seen the others on the list? Are they worth checking out?
Swallow I want to see and The Witch: part 1 I have ready to watch but kept playing other movies :-)
But the rest don’t ring a bell.

If I remember correctly there wasn’t a lot of love for The Invisible Man...
I'll give quick input on what I've seen...

14. Scare Me - this one is worth a watch but it's not great. Interesting concept, runs a little long and is more impressive for it's concept than what actually unfolds

10. Underwater - I actually loved this. I expected to hate it. Definitely watch it. It's basically Alien set under water. Big budget horror sci-fi is hard to come by these days.

8. Swallow - Slow, interesting and uncomfortable. Recommend checking this one out

7. His House - this was really good. I knew nothing about it going into it and I think that helped. I recommend checking it out.

6. Get Duked! - I got 10 minutes into this and shut it off. I couldn't stand the characters

4. The Invisible Man - didn't work for me. It's poorly thought out from a world building and logic perspective, they ignore so much to make a "cool scene". Elizabeth Moss is great though, the best part of the film. Direction is very good too, just some terrible logic leaps and bad sci-fi bullshit. Also the film loses it's tension about 30 minutes in and never recovers.

2. The Dark and the Wicked - this one is on the list, hoping to watch it this week but heard lots of good things about it.
By ScoJo
Strange list - I would have definitely put five or six other films (ie The Beach House) on the list instead of some of these... including some that I haven't actually seen, but just based on the film description and inks' comments! ;)
Last edited by ScoJo on Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By inksb
Yeah watch The Beach House if you haven't seen it yet @bez, great little film. And yeah only a few of those films on that list would have made a best of list for me. I'd like to say I'd make one but I honestly just don't have it in me to comb through the films of last year, time felt off and I have no clue what was actually released when. Possessor would probably be my number 1 or at least in top 3.
By ScoJo
Fwiw!

Host, Gretel and Hansel, Relic, Body Cam, The Beach House, Color Out of Space, The Lodge, Amulet, Koko-Di KoKo-Da, and my number 1 would be Vivarium.

I have a nagging feeling I've missed a few other small-scale favourites, will update if they come to me but these are the ones which immediately jumped to mind without much effort.
By inksb
I'll second Host, Gretel & Hansel, Body Cam, Color Out of Space and Relic recommendations.
By Hatter313
I really liked gretel and Hansel and color out of space, still need to see possessor. Was Luz last year or 2019? I was late to that movie but oh man
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:19 pm I really liked gretel and Hansel and color out of space, still need to see possessor. Was Luz last year or 2019? I was late to that movie but oh man
Luz is technically 2019 I think but saw streaming and bluray release in 2020
By Hatter313
Yeah I only got around to it a few months ago...what a great flick
By Mateo Sanboval
I have not seen a single one of the flicks you cats are talking about. What a strange year.
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:21 pm I have not seen a single one of the flicks you cats are talking about. What a strange year.
Eject that MacGruber dvd and watch some new flicks, brah!!
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:28 pm
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:21 pm I have not seen a single one of the flicks you cats are talking about. What a strange year.
Eject that MacGruber dvd and watch some new flicks, brah!!
You did not just do that. THAT IS A BLAUPUNKT!
By The Cult Leader
20210112_184827_77.jpg
20210112_184827_77.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 1532 times
Whattaya hear, whattaya say?

This is like my 5th time watching this series so I'm pretty sure that makes it my favorite.
By ScoJo
Just a thought, but... since it seems that quite a few folks haven't yet seen The Beach House, is anyone interested in doing a sync watch? I can provide the goods (ahrm) as usual ;) Or any other suggestion for a new-ish horror that has passed some by/is on their watch lists?
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:36 pm Just a thought, but... since it seems that quite a few folks haven't yet seen The Beach House, is anyone interested in doing a sync watch? I can provide the goods (ahrm) as usual ;) Or any other suggestion for a new-ish horror that has passed some by/is on their watch lists?
I like things.
By Bezulsqy
Alberto de Martino’s 1972 I familiari delle vittime non saranno avvertiti a.k.a. Crime Boss
Score by Francesco De Masi

my copy was missing the title screen :-)