Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:23 pm I remember when we were complaining that the blood-filled F13 variant was being sold for $60... and now new LP prices are almost there.
texasvinyl wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:00 pm I still have anxiety from that hahaha I wonder what % have dried out by now
All true!
By Dollarhyde
Happy new year folks! Been a busy season for me.

@scojo, as deaf said some of the later stuff is worth checking out. And you are absolutely right about ifukube, and particularly his kaiju stuff, too many marches!! :D which I think stems from Japan's military rule.
Godzilla Vs hedorah (smog monster) you should check. Also these Japanese comps are great, just go for the later ones that don't feature ifukube
A bunch are streaming here.

https://www.dailymotion.com/search/SF%E ... %86/videos

All that being said did Ifukube create the most overused OST gimmick with the Godzilla ... BoooooM .... BoooooM .....
By ScoJo
Dollarhyde wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:19 pm Happy new year folks! Been a busy season for me.

@scojo, as deaf said some of the later stuff is worth checking out. And you are absolutely right about ifukube, and particularly his kaiju stuff, too many marches!! :D which I think stems from Japan's military rule.
Godzilla Vs hedorah (smog monster) you should check. Also these Japanese comps are great, just go for the later ones that don't feature ifukube
A bunch are streaming here.

https://www.dailymotion.com/search/SF%E ... %86/videos

All that being said did Ifukube create the most overused OST gimmick with the Godzilla ... BoooooM .... BoooooM .....
Great stuff, thanks as ever for your wisdom dollar-san!
By ScoJo
And btw... if y'all don't think that WW will eventually drop a complete F13 box set too at some point, y'all are smokin' crazy glue ;-)
By NathanLurker
Waxwork have added their Spinatures subscription to the webstore HERE . It's 125$USD for six figurines, which makes them about 4$ less than regular cost, with free shipping, a Spinatures Enamel Pin and a 8"x10" Giclee Print. Figures of :
  • Dracula (1931)
    The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
    The Wolfman (1941)
    Sam (Trick 'r Treat)
    Jaws (1975)
    Chucky (Child's Play 2)
I know it's an expense that maybe doesn't interest a lot of us, it's another gimmicky collection habit... but I'm tempted, for some reason. I never was much interested in toy collectibles but these have a little something.
By deafmetal
NathanLurker wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:09 pm Godzilla Boxset, 450 USD, ships to USA only.
It should be noted that the shipping restriction is a Toho Studios licensing restriction and not just Waxwork. Toho is very strict with their Godzilla licensing and they do not allow the vendor to export any sales of a domestic license or they risk losing it.

I was not planning on buying fifteen $30 albums today, but since I'm considering it, I'm wondering just how they are going to safely ship this thing with 18 LP's inside. I hope they are not sliding around and breaking through the inner sleeves and box, etc. That always seems to be the curse of large box sets. At least they are offering free shipping for it.
By Dollarhyde
Weren't deathwaltz or Mondo hinting at releasing some TOHO stuff?

I would definitely be interested in some of the releases from this box set, but also apprehensive that it would get ballsed up as you mention Def. Would also be concerned about QC of pressing etc... With 18 discs. I'm guessing this is all from the cinema Kan CD releases.
Speaking of which Someone needs to put their CD of Hiroshi Baba's werewolf guy ost on vinyl!!
By Revolver_OcelScott
NathanLurker wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:26 pm Waxwork have added their Spinatures subscription to the webstore HERE . It's 125$USD for six figurines, which makes them about 4$ less than regular cost, with free shipping, a Spinatures Enamel Pin and a 8"x10" Giclee Print. Figures of :
  • Dracula (1931)
    The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
    The Wolfman (1941)
    Sam (Trick 'r Treat)
    Jaws (1975)
    Chucky (Child's Play 2)
I know it's an expense that maybe doesn't interest a lot of us, it's another gimmicky collection habit... but I'm tempted, for some reason. I never was much interested in toy collectibles but these have a little something.
I had bought the Halloween 3 trio, Michael Myers and They Live. Wish they had offered one for those.

I'll probably end up getting Chucky and Jaws. I'm such a consumer whore.
By deafmetal
@Dollar - the only Toho stuff from Mondo I have seen has been all the posters and t-shirts with original artwork along with the much-hyped... Godzilla tiki mug. -_-

Jimmy_Mike wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:15 am Godzilla box looks awesome. Very awesome.
I caved last week and finally ordered it. Since I am a Toho kaijū nerd, I will be looking forward to spinning many of these film scores for years to come. There are so many of them that it will likely take a few years to get through the entire thing without being marched to death by the Ifukube brass section. There are a few of these though that have only had limited tracks available on vinyl. One of my favorites being Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964). I could post some audio of the well-known Godzilla's theme brass marches or victory themes from this film and others, but there are actually some more interesting pieces of music that also catch my ear. Two vocal(!) numbers that feature the twin sisters Emi and Yumi Itō (aka The Peanuts) who also portray the role of the twin Shobijin fairies that hatch the Mothra larva in the film and go on to speak for the large moth kaijū throughout the film. I remember being enthralled with the 1961 film Mothra as a young kid which also features the twins, but also after recently re-watching Mothra vs. Godzilla, the scenes of them singing together were among the most striking moments in the film for me:

As mentioned earlier in the thread, things get a bit more fuzzy and funky into the 70's films, and I definitely recommend sourcing a copy of the Godzilla vs. Hedorah (aka Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster) OST if you are going to listen to any of these soundtracks. It's the most psychedelic of all of them along with the film as well:

Another vocal theme standout is from Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972):

Lastly, Godvilla vs. Megalon (1973) is another recommendation which along with having an upbeat score also features the famous Jet Jaguar theme song:

Somebody is already trying to sell each individual album from the box set as a preorder for $120 USD/ea on ebay... wtf.
By Dollarhyde
Nice going @deaf, I keep having 2nd thoughts about picking it up, but I'm holding out and hoping that they will do some individual releases as well.

I think Mondo are also making toys in conjunction with TOHO. I just remember them making a big deal about the partnership.

I have the Mothra 45 which features the peanuts song.
It would also be good if they would do some of the non Godzilla kaiju. I would recommend the war of the gargantuas picture disc, it plays well.
By ScoJo
deafmetal wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:32 am @Dollar - the only Toho stuff from Mondo I have seen has been all the posters and t-shirts with original artwork along with the much-hyped... Godzilla tiki mug. -_-

Jimmy_Mike wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:15 am Godzilla box looks awesome. Very awesome.
I caved last week and finally ordered it. Since I am a Toho kaijū nerd, I will be looking forward to spinning many of these film scores for years to come. There are so many of them that it will likely take a few years to get through the entire thing without being marched to death by the Ifukube brass section. There are a few of these though that have only had limited tracks available on vinyl. One of my favorites being Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964). I could post some audio of the well-known Godzilla's theme brass marches or victory themes from this film and others, but there are actually some more interesting pieces of music that also catch my ear. Two vocal(!) numbers that feature the twin sisters Emi and Yumi Itō (aka The Peanuts) who also portray the role of the twin Shobijin fairies that hatch the Mothra larva in the film and go on to speak for the large moth kaijū throughout the film. I remember being enthralled with the 1961 film Mothra as a young kid which also features the twins, but also after recently re-watching Mothra vs. Godzilla, the scenes of them singing together were among the most striking moments in the film for me:

As mentioned earlier in the thread, things get a bit more fuzzy and funky into the 70's films, and I definitely recommend sourcing a copy of the Godzilla vs. Hedorah (aka Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster) OST if you are going to listen to any of these soundtracks. It's the most psychedelic of all of them along with the film as well:

Another vocal theme standout is from Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972):

Lastly, Godvilla vs. Megalon (1973) is another recommendation which along with having an upbeat score also features the famous Jet Jaguar theme song:

Somebody is already trying to sell each individual album from the box set as a preorder for $120 USD/ea on ebay... wtf.
Thanks for this DM! Much appreciated, look forward to checking those links today :)
By bpwlogan
Amazon has The Showa Films Criterion Collection BluRay set at about a 60% discount now so I decided to pick it up. I guess there are some minor problems with disc 3 which contains Godzilla vs Mothra and Invasion of Astro Monster which are favorites of mine but I have previous editions of those films and I can live with some minor defaults at the current price drop. Hope everyone that gets this Waxwork box set is satisfied. I think this will be a one time drop for sure.
By deafmetal
@bpwlogan - supposedly, the white flashes are the original film splices that have not been cropped or edited out of the film transfer:

from: https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... era_boxset

"What you're seeing is not a defect. The white lines you are seeing in some of these GODZILLA titles are film splices that are part of the original 35 mm prints scanned by our licensor, Toho, for those masters. They are not distortions or errors introduced at the video or authoring stage, and are often visible because the original 2.35:1 theatrical aspect ratio was preserved. Criterion's key philosophy is to preserve and restore films to the best of our ability, without entirely erasing the history and the cinematic artifacts that you may experience in a theatrical viewing."
By deafmetal
ScoJo wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:15 pm Love this. Criterion leave the cigarette burns in!
I still wonder if Criterion messed something up though as only disc 3 seems to have the splicing shown while other discs do not. Any experts have info on this? Somebody in the reddit thread confirmed that Toho was cropping their blu-ray releases in Japan:

(not my photo):
By ScoJo
I take it that splice frame is only visible for a single frame? Have to say, that's pretty hardcore - not wanting to remove even a single frame, as it is effectively 'editing' the film.
By Revolver_OcelScott
I watched all the films over a few weeks and I noticed the splices on more than just disc 3. I know I read somewhere that TOHO didn't give them the best masters available or something of that sort . The splices are very frequent. Sometimes on every "cut". In some of the films it was incredibly distracting.

Still waiting on your Bride Spiniature to ship ScoJo!
By ScoJo
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:30 pm I watched all the films over a few weeks and I noticed the splices on more than just disc 3. I know I read somewhere that TOHO didn't give them the best masters available or something of that sort . The splices are very frequent. Sometimes on every "cut". In some of the films it was incredibly distracting.

Whether because of fidelity to the theatrical experience (as per their promotional release) or because they didn't want to put the extra effort in regarding detailed restoration (which seems weird for Criterion, but maybe the budget just wasn't there for these titles...), dealing with this issue would have led to three paths - either removing the frames entirely and then having to 'smooth over' the audio jumps, digitally remove the splice artefacts within the affected frames, or removing the affected frames and digitally 'interpolating' them so that there was no jump. My guess is that it was a budget thing, and they decided that given the source films, the rough splices were liveable-with.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:14 pm
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:30 pm I watched all the films over a few weeks and I noticed the splices on more than just disc 3. I know I read somewhere that TOHO didn't give them the best masters available or something of that sort . The splices are very frequent. Sometimes on every "cut". In some of the films it was incredibly distracting.

Whether because of fidelity to the theatrical experience (as per their promotional release) or because they didn't want to put the extra effort in regarding detailed restoration (which seems weird for Criterion, but maybe the budget just wasn't there for these titles...), dealing with this issue would have led to three paths - either removing the frames entirely and then having to 'smooth over' the audio jumps, digitally remove the splice artefacts within the affected frames, or removing the affected frames and digitally 'interpolating' them so that there was no jump. My guess is that it was a budget thing, and they decided that given the source films, the rough splices were liveable-with.
In speaking with some people who have been working on the Jackie Chan blurays from Eureka & 88 Films there is some very stringent standards coming in from Asian licensors. I can't speak for Toho specifically, who I've heard are pretty protective of Godzilla in particular but Fortune Star has on many of these new scans basically said you put out what we give you or we pull the contract. They seemed to have lightened up a touch over the last year or so, allowing for some new color correction to be done since a lot of their scans seem to push blue for some reason. They really don't like any one tinkering with the scan. Even if it's to "fix errors". And let's be perfectly honest, even though Criterion have established themselves as the premium home video company, a lot of their releases are questionable from picture quality and restoration standpoint, they are far from perfect.