A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:30 pm Braindead is a near-perfect film. I fondly remember going to a Halloween party one year at college and promptly ignored all the attendees and boring conversation while this monumental gorefest was playing on a tiny TV in the basement. I could not believe this love letter to comedy horror had been missing from my life for so long. Who was Peter Jackson!? Certainly a new favorite filmmaker if he created art like this all the way over in NZ. I think I found the Dead Alive VHS a few weeks later in a rental store and proceeded to proselytize my roommates into my bloody religion. In the years that would follow, Bad Taste, Meet The Feebles, various midnight screenings, and a bootleg uncut Braindead VHS off ebay finally obtained like a grail quest. I am always looking another upgrade of that film.

Speaking of midnight screenings, I took in a late night viewing of Possessor on Saturday night. The spawn of Cronenberg delivered for me. Perhaps I was just in the right frame of mind, but the slow burn worked well and kept me mesmerized and queasy throughout. A good blend of gore/scifi without going to far off the deep end in either direction.
Great story, Deaf.
By inksb
May the Devil Take You
This Indonesian horror film from 2018 was quite entertaining. A father decides to make a deal with a demon/spirit for massive wealth. When the demon comes to collect on the deal, he decides he doesn't want to give in. The film picks up with the father sick in the hospital and the children visit an old home he's been going to lately leading up to his hospitalization. They find a boarded up locked door with talismans all over it. Of course they open it and let out what ever is in there. Equal parts Evil Dead, Japanese ghost film and demon possession films. It's a fairly entertaining if not entirely original idea. The main actress is pretty good and believable, this is important to bring up as you'll see in the next review.

May the Devil Take You Too
The follow up film, this time they decide to take a more Evil Dead 2 route, more in your face demon possession. More demon talking, more in "humor", a handful of POV fast moving camera shots. But here's where it fails in it's EV2 comparisons, it's not fun and it's not entertaining. In fact it's really boring and tough to get through it's 110 minute run time. The main actress who just lived through a crazy demon possession ordeal and lost all of her siblings except one, is now skeptical, afraid, unwilling to listen others, acts irrationally, acts like a badass who knows what they are doing in one scene and then completely clueless in the next. It's baffling how bad she is. I can't blame her acting, which isn't good, it's definitely an issue with the script and the director unable to craft a solid through line. Skip this one, it's terrible.

I'm going to echo @Scojo's recommendation here. This was really good. The less you know about it the better. I won't divulge any plot here. It has some interesting characters, interesting mythology and disturbing effects. Definitely worth watching the 8 30min episodes.
By 334578rpm
I know I'm late to the party, but I just watched Gretel and Hansel (Amazon has the Blu-ray for $5), and it far surpassed my expectations.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:08 pm
ScoJo wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:17 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:37 pm

Holy shit, dude, literally just started it again today (can't imagine why)...but for me this is the 100th time. The bar scene at the end of episode 6 is a particular highlight. Sheen's introduction at the end of the pilot is still one of my all time favorite moments in anything. I hope you enjoy, its truly one of my favorite shows of all time and one of the rare non-genre pieces of art i ever became truly obsessed with. Bartlett for America (oh how i wish)

and yeah, especially that first season, there's some real dated stuff.
Getting towards the end of S1 and then in the opening credits of the current episode: FEATURING DAVID HASSELHOF!!?!
Is this where the show jumps the shark so early in it's run!?
(no fear- turns out The Hoff was playing himself and it was all good :)

So yeah- after a slightly shaky start where I wasnt totally sure I could handle the late-90s cheesiness/writing, man I am now FULLY on board. I will definitely plan to watch the first four seasons until Sorkin bails, will see how it goes.

I love getting hardcore into event television... 20 years AFTER the event haha!

The end of season 1 into the first few eps of season 2, which is where I just stopped for the now, is breathtaking in its awesomeness. Yeah I’d say first four seasons are unstoppable, 5 is good but not great and it’s been a while since I did the last two seasons but I’m going to do them for sure this time. And yeah I actually completely forgot about hasselhoff in that cameo with Donna being a fan girl as he’s trying to have a deep political conversation haha. The parade of guest stars can be stunning
Deep into Season 3, and this show has fully got it's hooks in me!

Continually amused at how 'crack-ey' the writing is, knowing what I know about Sorkin haha.

And in case you're interested... I'm a Toby guy all the way.

By bpwlogan
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:58 pm Finally.
Just received mine today and I'm impressed with the overall look of the set. I need to snag a region free BluRay player at some point. It must be a licensing deal or something because the special features disc is region B. I'll get one regardless because Zavvi had a special buy one Arrow BluRay get one free a month or so ago and I picked up a pile of them only 4 of the 18 I bought are region free. Hope the DOTD set is as good as advertised. Enjoy!
By ChrisMcQueen007
bpwlogan wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:24 pm
Just received mine today and I'm impressed with the overall look of the set. I need to snag a region free BluRay player at some point. It must be a licensing deal or something because the special features disc is region B. I'll get one regardless because Zavvi had a special buy one Arrow BluRay get one free a month or so ago and I picked up a pile of them only 4 of the 18 I bought are region free. Hope the DOTD set is as good as advertised. Enjoy!
Bpwlogan, it is a fantastic set, I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed. The film looks as impressive as the reviews state, I personally think that it - besides all other aspects such as film grain and colors - also profits from the zombies and blood looking better, i.e. less "cheesy" (which has always been a point which I found a bit distracting).
This set was the reason I decided to go 4K and it really lives up to my expectations.
By ScoJo
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:57 am
bpwlogan wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:24 pm
Bpwlogan, it is a fantastic set, I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed. The film looks as impressive as the reviews state, I personally think that it - besides all other aspects such as film grain and colors - also profits from the zombies and blood looking better, i.e. less "cheesy" (which has always been a point which I found a bit distracting).
This set was the reason I decided to go 4K and it really lives up to my expectations.
Wait a minute... the blood and zombies now no longer look cheesy?? Is this some Lucas/digital tomfoolery? I'm out!!

;-)

By ChrisMcQueen007
@ScoJo: Well, I guess it's all a question of perspective/how much you are familiar with previous incarnations of the film (which you for sure are).
For what it's worth (and if that maybe draws you back in ;)) my lady who is otherwise wonderful but doesn't like horror movies walked in while I was watching it on Friday and said: "That blood looks like red paint or something, really unrealistic"! :)
By ScoJo
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:16 pm
For what it's worth (and if that maybe draws you back in ;)) my lady who is otherwise wonderful but doesn't like horror movies walked in while I was watching it on Friday and said: "That blood looks like red paint or something, really unrealistic"! :)

Phew.... thank you both!

By bpwlogan
Thanks for the review Chris I was on the fence about purchasing this set because I have the Anchor Bay DVD and the double VHS director cut of the film they released a few years prior to the DVD release. One of the selling points for me was the 3 audio CDs that come with the release and of course the 4k. I'll pick one or two of the film editions and give them a viewing over the holiday weekend. I'll just add to the 50+ times I've watched this film:) Have a safe one out there.
By vinyljunkie
Guys, this film and score are BRILLIANT!!!
Attachments
2971F164-6413-4E70-BA9A-1BB76BD387FD.jpeg
2971F164-6413-4E70-BA9A-1BB76BD387FD.jpeg (51.56 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
By ScoJo
vinyljunkie wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:32 pm Guys, this film and score are BRILLIANT!!!
I thought about it for a good while afterwards, and decided I actually kindof loved this film. Between this and The Third Day, we've been getting Peak Law this year!
By vinyljunkie
Yes! The Third Day was super creepy, loved it! Give the score for “The Nest” a listen on its own if you haven’t already, something about it keeps reeling me back! Will be up there with the score for “She Dies Tomorrow” for best of the year for me!
ScoJo wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:04 pm
vinyljunkie wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:32 pm Guys, this film and score are BRILLIANT!!!
I thought about it for a good while afterwards, and decided I actually kindof loved this film. Between this and The Third Day, we've been getting Peak Law this year!
By Bezulsqy
After reading your comment and that one from @ScoJo I watched it together with my girlfriend. Excellent!
By vinyljunkie
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:42 pm
After reading your comment and that one from @ScoJo I watched it together with my girlfriend. Excellent!
Glad you liked it! A few more I saw over the weekend and liked -- Leap of Faith docu (William Friedkin on the Exorcist), My Psychedelic Love Story (docu on Joanne Harcourt-Smith and her whirlwind romance with Timothy Leary), and Run, with Sarah Paulson (major "Misery" vibes)