A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
Any one of the precious few films we have with Jenny Wright, I treasure. She famously completely vanished at some point and I recall imdb message boards with fans being worried about her, but apparently she resurfaced at some point and all was well.
Anyways....
Jenny Wright. Jenny fucking Wright.

(ps i really like I, Madman. Very nutty premise, quite ahead of the curve in terms of 'meta- narrative' etc)

And the theatrical poster is insanely fantastic!
1AF36506-1868-4642-AE05-B305456B112F-1683-0000028052C354CF.png
1AF36506-1868-4642-AE05-B305456B112F-1683-0000028052C354CF.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 2015 times

By inksb
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:09 am The 4K release of HBTC looks spectacular, Blu Underground did a great job with that one.
Did you pick up Daughters of Darkness 4K? I can't get behind the $50 price tag so I'm waiting for the price to come down a bit before I pick that up. Also the cover is terrible.
By ChrisMcQueen007
inksb wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:59 pm
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:09 am The 4K release of HBTC looks spectacular, Blu Underground did a great job with that one.
Did you pick up Daughters of Darkness 4K? I can't get behind the $50 price tag so I'm waiting for the price to come down a bit before I pick that up. Also the cover is terrible.
I caved in despite the steep price tag. Have not received it yet. I have scaled down a lot on my physical media movie purchases, but decided that I really need this one. Also preordered Vigilante and the Dawn 4K set but otherwise plan not to get anything more this year. ;)
By inksb

Lucky. Shudder picked this one up this summer and I've been eagerly awaiting the film to show up on the streaming service. I don't know when it will be available but Shudder actually aired it on ShudderTV this weekend as part of their ShudderFest. They didn't announce what it would be but I tuned in at 1030pm to see what it was, the film started and I saw Brea Grant and immediately knew what it was. I thought it was a fascinating and well executed film that is very heavy handed in it's metaphor and message but honestly just one that needs to be out there. The set up is the main character is attacked by a masked man in her house in the middle of the night, her and her husband manage to injure him and he escapes. Cops are called, reports are filed. The following morning she is still very upset over the events talks to her husband about it and he responds, it's just the guy who tries to kill you every night, he won't show up during the day. She is surprised by this and asks what he means, he gets upset and says he won't talk to her until she calms down and then leaves for most of the runtime. The rest of the film unfolds from there where she has to continue to fend off this attacker night after night and day after day. No one believes her, sidelines her feelings, pushes the blame back on her, minimizes her insecurities and continues to tell her how Lucky she is just to be alive. See where this is going? It's a film about how shitty it is to be a woman who get's attacked whether it's physical, sexual or mental, the resulting trauma and the reactions by the people around them in both personal and professional roles. Like I said it's a bit heavy handed but I'll be the first to admit to doing some of the shit that other characters do in this film to people at some point in my life. Saying and doing things I didn't know were harmful. Sometimes people just need to talk, you don't need to solve their problem for them, they are not looking for that. The main character comes off as a bitch to people in the film but that's because no one is listening to her and refuses to. It's frustrating as a viewer to watch and even more so if you are person who has gone through this. I recommend checking this one out, it's not perfect and may not be your cup of tea but it's an interesting film with a message that really needs to be out there.
By 334578rpm
I was actually going to ask if anyone else caught the "Lucky" showing. I too liked it a lot. While I may not be able to fully "get" it, coming from a man's perspective, it certainly stayed with me after it was over. It's great the way it bends the rules of reality, and makes you question what's real and what isn't.

I also loved the score. I hope it gets a physical release.
By inksb

Ebola Syndrome
One of the more infamous Cat III HK flicks, I finally got around to watching this last night. I had very "high" expectations for the gore and grossness after hearing about this one for a while. Directed by Herman Yau, who is responsible for The Untold Story which I posted about a few months ago. Basic premise, guy is involved in some shady stuff, kills a family, leaves HK for South Africa. Years later he's working a restaurant in South Africa and one thing leads to another he contracts Ebola but is the one in a million that is immune but still is capable of spreading the disease. Film unfolds from there. Plot is a bit of mess, it's utilized to show some pretty nasty kills, gore and what seemed to be the most important thing to the director, disgusting rape and sexual acts. The main character, who is one of the most repulsive main characters I've ever seen, contracts the disease while raping a woman who's dying from Ebola. She's in her death throws, convulsing and he's yelling, let go of my dick you whore. The gore while fun and sometimes pushing into some gross out territory is nothing compared to how vile the rape scenes are in the film. I was prepared for the gore, I was not prepared for that shit. I can't really recommend this one other than for those curious about Cat III HK films like I was. The first 30-40 minutes were pretty engaging but the last half is a really really boring cat and mouse game of the cops (who show up half way through) trying to track down the main character.
By ScoJo
I have just been rooting around the documentaries on Prime and discovered two seasons of STEVEN SEAGAL: LAWMAN

O please let this be great... the potential for peak self-serious blowhard is so great... don't let me down SS!

By static14
Scott you’ll love how often he changes his way of speaking depending on who he’s around. And it’s terrible in the best possible way. :)
By ScoJo
static14 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:46 pm Scott you’ll love how often he changes his way of speaking depending on who he’s around. And it’s terrible in the best possible way. :)
Ten-four!

By Bezulsqy
Possessor
And a Chimay grand reserve 2009 possessed with a lot of flavor
Attachments
D13B67DC-468C-49A0-B5B0-6ECB512649EC.jpeg
D13B67DC-468C-49A0-B5B0-6ECB512649EC.jpeg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 1890 times
By ChrisMcQueen007
Bez: I‘ve heard good things about Possessor, hope to be able to watch it soon.
And what a wonderful beer to go with it!
By inksb
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:36 pm Bez: I‘ve heard good things about Possessor, hope to be able to watch it soon.
And what a wonderful beer to go with it!
I believe it hit VOD this week so you can rent and purchase digital versions. I pre-ordered the UHD so I'm stuck waiting until December to watch it. It's been my most anticipated film of the year. I absolutely loved Anti-Viral
By vinyljunkie
Check out His House, Kindred and The Dark and the Wicked -- all good to great! (Dark & Wicked seriously bleak)
By ScoJo
Since we've never seen it, myself and my girly have started The West Wing. Cheesiness and 90s-ness aside, it's crazy how much more hopeful and optimistic politics was back then. Felt like an appropriate time to watch it anyway.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:55 pm Since we've never seen it, myself and my girly have started The West Wing. Cheesiness and 90s-ness aside, it's crazy how much more hopeful and optimistic politics was back then. Felt like an appropriate time to watch it anyway.
Holy shit, dude, literally just started it again today (can't imagine why)...but for me this is the 100th time. The bar scene at the end of episode 6 is a particular highlight. Sheen's introduction at the end of the pilot is still one of my all time favorite moments in anything. I hope you enjoy, its truly one of my favorite shows of all time and one of the rare non-genre pieces of art i ever became truly obsessed with. Bartlett for America (oh how i wish)

and yeah, especially that first season, there's some real dated stuff.
By inksb
I'v always wanted to watch The West Wing but never got around to it. Maybe I'll make some time this winter
By Mateo Sanboval
static14 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:46 pm Scott you’ll love how often he changes his way of speaking depending on who he’s around. And it’s terrible in the best possible way. :)
I didn't know you were so learned in the ways of the Tulku, Static. One thousand pistol lit matches to you, good soul.
Bezulsqy wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:57 pm Possessor
And a Chimay grand reserve 2009 possessed with a lot of flavor
I've said it before, but I love the way you do business, Bez.
By inksb

Brain Dead/Dead Alive
Sometimes I'm afraid to revisit films I love but haven't seen in years. Afraid of that enjoyment actually not being there anymore. Well my wife has never seen this one so I decided to show it to her. Luckily my fears were put to rest pretty quickly, it's just a fun practical effects extravaganza and boy do they hold up. Some of the best practical effects ever committed to celluloid imo. Once the party starts it's gag a minute for 20+ minutes, just incredible stuff in there. Remember when Peter made fun films? It's been so long, I wish he would make one last return to his roots like Raimi did with Drag Me To Hell. It was really funny to listen to my wife react to all the effects, she kept making remarks like "I can't believe I've never seen this" "why haven't you shown this to me before?" "that was incredible!" "how the hell did they do that?!?!"It's so nice to revisit films I watched years ago by myself with some one who gets a kick out of them as well. Please will someone just do a fancy restoration and release this on UHD/bluray???? I know Peter is supposed to be restoring this and Bad Taste but it's been years with out a single peep from him about it. It's a shame as this is honestly a classic of that era and deserves to be seen by more people.
By ScoJo
I love the Brain Dead behind scenes story of how, on the day the NZ Film Commission were due to visit the set - in the script, it just says 'and he kills all the zombies with a lawnmover'... but in reality, this was 20mins of elaborate extended carnage! So they freaked, and realised they had to mop up all the gallons of blood from the set and hide all the 'bodies' during the suits' visit.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:37 pm
ScoJo wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:55 pm Since we've never seen it, myself and my girly have started The West Wing. Cheesiness and 90s-ness aside, it's crazy how much more hopeful and optimistic politics was back then. Felt like an appropriate time to watch it anyway.
Holy shit, dude, literally just started it again today (can't imagine why)...but for me this is the 100th time. The bar scene at the end of episode 6 is a particular highlight. Sheen's introduction at the end of the pilot is still one of my all time favorite moments in anything. I hope you enjoy, its truly one of my favorite shows of all time and one of the rare non-genre pieces of art i ever became truly obsessed with. Bartlett for America (oh how i wish)

Getting towards the end of S1 and then in the opening credits of the current episode: FEATURING DAVID HASSELHOF!!?!
Is this where the show jumps the shark so early in it's run!?
(no fear- turns out The Hoff was playing himself and it was all good :)

So yeah- after a slightly shaky start where I wasnt totally sure I could handle the late-90s cheesiness/writing, man I am now FULLY on board. I will definitely plan to watch the first four seasons until Sorkin bails, will see how it goes.

I love getting hardcore into event television... 20 years AFTER the event haha!

By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:17 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:37 pm

Getting towards the end of S1 and then in the opening credits of the current episode: FEATURING DAVID HASSELHOF!!?!
Is this where the show jumps the shark so early in it's run!?
(no fear- turns out The Hoff was playing himself and it was all good :)

So yeah- after a slightly shaky start where I wasnt totally sure I could handle the late-90s cheesiness/writing, man I am now FULLY on board. I will definitely plan to watch the first four seasons until Sorkin bails, will see how it goes.

I love getting hardcore into event television... 20 years AFTER the event haha!

The end of season 1 into the first few eps of season 2, which is where I just stopped for the now, is breathtaking in its awesomeness. Yeah I’d say first four seasons are unstoppable, 5 is good but not great and it’s been a while since I did the last two seasons but I’m going to do them for sure this time. And yeah I actually completely forgot about hasselhoff in that cameo with Donna being a fan girl as he’s trying to have a deep political conversation haha. The parade of guest stars can be stunning
By deafmetal
Braindead is a near-perfect film. I fondly remember going to a Halloween party one year at college and promptly ignored all the attendees and boring conversation while this monumental gorefest was playing on a tiny TV in the basement. I could not believe this love letter to comedy horror had been missing from my life for so long. Who was Peter Jackson!? Certainly a new favorite filmmaker if he created art like this all the way over in NZ. I think I found the Dead Alive VHS a few weeks later in a rental store and proceeded to proselytize my roommates into my bloody religion. In the years that would follow, Bad Taste, Meet The Feebles, various midnight screenings, and a bootleg uncut Braindead VHS off ebay finally obtained like a grail quest. I am always looking another upgrade of that film.

Speaking of midnight screenings, I took in a late night viewing of Possessor on Saturday night. The spawn of Cronenberg delivered for me. Perhaps I was just in the right frame of mind, but the slow burn worked well and kept me mesmerized and queasy throughout. A good blend of gore/scifi without going to far off the deep end in either direction.