A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
Completely agree with you there @scojo, the 3D makes Friday part 3 a much better film. I had the bluray boxset that came in a tin a few years ago of the whole franchise and it came with the 3D version. I ended up selling it off because the price was well over $200 and I bought it for $55 but I ripped all of them to my hard drive. I wonder if I ended up ripping the 3D version too, I'll have to check tonight.

So to my surprise this was really good. One of the better "big budget" horror flicks I've seen in a while. Terrible name, which is why I originally stayed away. Good aquatic horror for those that dig that type of thing. Highly recommended.

This popped up on Shudder this week and I enjoy Aya Cash (especially on The Boys recently) so I decided to give this a go. While it is too long by about 20 minutes, it has some really enjoyable moments. It's fairly creative in it's execution and overall I had fun. There is a sequence in the middle of the film that is the highlight, I won't say much about it but I was laughing pretty damn hard for that 10-15 minutes. The basic set up is a screenwriter has rented a cabin in the middle of nowhere to help his creative process and finish his script, he runs into a famous new author and invites her over. They decide to play a game where they tell stories to each other to scare the other one, while you think this is a set up for an anthology film (I know I did) that is not what happens, it's just these two telling/acting stories out to each other. Worth checking out even with it's faults.
By Bezulsqy
Tenet. Empty theater.
Attachments
01B1284B-0395-4230-947A-6BD5B95370AE.jpeg
01B1284B-0395-4230-947A-6BD5B95370AE.jpeg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 2034 times
7936211B-F316-4808-B8EE-CF8DC0F56E86.jpeg
7936211B-F316-4808-B8EE-CF8DC0F56E86.jpeg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 2034 times
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:11 am Tenet. Empty theater.
Enjoy! Nice socks. Yes, we're definitely into Autumn...

Much to discuss re: the film when you're ready....
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:34 am

Hand made by my girlfriend. The socks I mean. She is not Christopher Nolan.

I need to digest Tenet.
Loved the action. Not so much the ‘love interest’ part
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:56 am

Hand made by my girlfriend. The socks I mean. She is not Christopher Nolan.

I need to digest Tenet.
Loved the action. Not so much the ‘love interest’ part
Yeah... she was very very dull.... and very very Nolan's type (ie extremely posh, emotionally blank Brit ;)

At least this one didn't have a dead wife in it!
By inksb
Christopher Nolan, a director I watch because it seems like the thing to do. None of his films actually do much for me. I've enjoyed watching most of them on first viewing but that's about it. No desire to return to them. Will Tenet change my mind? I doubt it :P
By Bezulsqy

I found Tenet to be very entertaining. Well paced. Opening scene in the opera I really loved. Thumping score. The big airplane part I loved. The car chase partly. The final big action sequence got lost a bit on me. The Empire review explains it better than I can why:
No doubt some big brains will be fine with all of this — and will be able to follow the plot — but for the rest of us, Tenet is often a baffling, bewildering ride. Does it matter? Kind of. It’s hard to completely invest in things that go completely over your head. The broad strokes are there, and it’s consistently compelling, but it’s a little taxing. No doubt it all makes sense on Nolan’s hard drive, but it’s difficult to emotionally engage with it all.
I loved Dunkirk. And I need to revisit Inception as the only recollection I have of that one is confusion. And I think I remember enjoying Interstellar a lot.
Tenet I enjoyed but I have no urge of revisiting it. But maybe a second viewing actually might do it some good...
By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:16 pm Dick Maas' 1988 Amsterdamned

Loved it!

Love. It.
By inksb
Any one watching The Haunting of Bly Manor? I really did not care for Hill House but 3 episodes into Bly Manor and I'm enjoying it a lot more. The characters are much more likeable and it all feels just a little off, curious when it's going to turn and show why.
By vinyljunkie
inksb wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:07 pm Any one watching The Haunting of Bly Manor? I really did not care for Hill House but 3 episodes into Bly Manor and I'm enjoying it a lot more. The characters are much more likeable and it all feels just a little off, curious when it's going to turn and show why.
Loved it! More of a gothic love story with elements of horror -- eps 5 and 8 are brilliant! So much heart, Flanagan is a genius!
By inksb
That's good to hear. I'm excited to check out the rest of the series, I'm happy he brought in other directors to handle this season. I can't wait to see Axelle Carolyn's episode, I like most of her work.
By Bezulsqy
13 days of Halloween evening.
First this and a Helles.
Attachments
51078AD1-7073-4E79-81E8-2D0084FD5C11.jpeg
51078AD1-7073-4E79-81E8-2D0084FD5C11.jpeg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 1839 times
By inksb
vinyljunkie wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:02 pm
inksb wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:07 pm Any one watching The Haunting of Bly Manor? I really did not care for Hill House but 3 episodes into Bly Manor and I'm enjoying it a lot more. The characters are much more likeable and it all feels just a little off, curious when it's going to turn and show why.
Loved it! More of a gothic love story with elements of horror -- eps 5 and 8 are brilliant! So much heart, Flanagan is a genius!
I finished ep 7 last night and boy oh boy will I say that ep 5 was a doozy. I can't wait to watch 8. The throat grab/drag off was a striking image that will definitely stick with me.
By Bezulsqy
Creepy
Attachments
F4D0372C-B846-49B2-9BA6-FDE2BB816B2C.jpeg
F4D0372C-B846-49B2-9BA6-FDE2BB816B2C.jpeg (702.84 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:57 pm 13 days of Halloween evening.
First this and a Helles.
Helles Yeah! Hahahaha! That is a great one. My favorite is called Helles & Oats.
By ScoJo
I almost left off Bly House part way into Ep 3, but thanks to the praise here (and my mum's recommendation!) I watched the rest over the weekend, and I LOVED it. Deeply sad and quite brilliant, so glad I stayed the course.
By Mateo Sanboval
Two episodes in here and it's alright. I don't mind the pacing, but some of the acting is leaving me pretty flat. Will likely pick it up again tomorrow evening.
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:31 pm Two episodes in here and it's alright. I don't mind the pacing, but some of the acting is leaving me pretty flat. Will likely pick it up again tomorrow evening.
Stay the course, mon ami
By ChrisMcQueen007
Re Bly Manor: I'm on episode 7 and really enjoy it. Thought it was all right in the begiining, then at around episode 4 I liked it more than Hill House as I think the characters are more interesting and likeable and now I'm really fond of it and hope it will keep the high standard until it wraps up.
By inksb
Finished Bly last night. I loved it. The ending was fitting and wasn't "everyone lives happily ever after" like Hill House.

If any of you are participating in ScoJo's Halloween festival, I'm very excited about tonight's offering. I discovered it a few years back and was completely floored by. It Follows seemed to have taken a bit from this one (or that was quite the coincidence) and the Final Destination films drew some inspiration as well.
By ScoJo
^
MV5BYmQ2M2E4NTAtOTNkZS00ZDUwLWEwNzktMGUyYzhhNjYyMjNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg
MV5BYmQ2M2E4NTAtOTNkZS00ZDUwLWEwNzktMGUyYzhhNjYyMjNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg (71.58 KiB) Viewed 1749 times

By ScoJo
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:26 am Re Bly Manor: I'm on episode 7 and really enjoy it. Thought it was all right in the begiining, then at around episode 4 I liked it more than Hill House as I think the characters are more interesting and likeable and now I'm really fond of it and hope it will keep the high standard until it wraps up.
Agreed - as I say, it was around the same point that I initially bailed (the introduction of the 'doomed lovers' storyline in ep 3 was quite off putting to me, which is odd considering how things play out - I wonder perhaps if I just wasn't taken by the direction and script detailing their meet...)

Also fully agree with @inks about the closing chapter - it was actually my favourite ep overall I think, and the wrap up regarding a certain character actually brought a genuine tear or two from SJ.