A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:08 pm Finally took the time to watch this. Loved the finale :-)
This also means that of the 45 giallo scores I own I only haven't seen one. (Ciak...si muore)

Dario Argento'S 1985 Phenomena
score by Goblin

This is one of those movies that is just completely insane in all its various premises and should not work in the slightest but somehow comes together despite itself. One of my favs from Argento and a lovely score
By ScoJo
Oh man I love Creepers. I mean, Phenomena. Totally agree- shouldn't work at all. Totally does.

When I chatted to Graham Humphreys he told me funny story about his 'Creepers' theatrical poster. He used the ape-with-razor as the central image in his killer poster - unfortunately what he didnt know was that the BBFC had decided to cut that scene to ribbons, so you never actually saw the ape-weilding-blade in the theatrical release!
By inksb
Phenomena is ....wait for it.... Phenomenal

Sorry had to do it :)

Phenomena is one of my favorite Argento films. Probably number 3 behind Tenebrae and Suspiria.
By horrorfromthetv
The_Babysitter_Killer_Queen_poster.png
The_Babysitter_Killer_Queen_poster.png (149.29 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
What a surprise to hear Tangerine Dream........
By Bezulsqy
Adalberto Albertini's 1971 L'uomo più velenoso del cobra a.k.a. Human Cobras
score by Stelvio Cipriani

By inksb
So this is definitely a Charlie Kaufman film. Slow, twisting and strange. I'm not sure how I feel about it. There's definitely some interesting things in there but I found it to be his least engaging film yet.
By deafmetal
@inks - The girls asked me to watch I'm Thinking of Ending Things with them yesterday and I felt about the same way. I felt that some of monologues were interesting enough, but overall the film did not grab me. I had my own theory about the custodian by the end of it, but didn't really care as the ending fell flat with me. I would have just preferred something shocking just to wake the film up a bit. Interpretive dance is about the last thing I want to see short of a musical. I was fine with the pacing and all the twisting, but I agree with you that the missing piece just seemed to be the overall engagement with the audience -- is he really an empathetic character?
By ScoJo
I thought the first 3/4s of the Kaufman film was really terrific, but I completely checked out after the dance sequence. You put voice to my feelings quite accurately @deaf. (For context, I checked out of La-La Land.... within about 45seconds! :DDD)

Rather unfortunately (having not been exactly wowed by his new picture) I had already decided to embark upon Kaufman's mammoth novel. Dear christ, what am I getting in to??

By inksb
Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. I really did enjoy the whole sequence with her at his parents house. Some really nice moments where he used tension and common "horror" camera angles to create some uneasy shots. The parents both did a great job.

I didn't realize it was a novel until the film finished. Not sure I would want to read that one.

I felt like he really captured that annoying college/post college phase of certain artist folks where they want to be the ones who spout of nonsense to sound smarter than you yet get annoyed when some one does the same thing to them.
By Chuggers
The film feels exactly like the novel; completely underwhelming. I don't understand all the acclaim for the book....having said that I was still looking forward to Kaufman's interpretation.
By Bezulsqy
Giuseppe Vari's 1972 Terza ipotesi su un caso di perfetta strategia criminale a.k.a. Who Killed the Prosecutor and Why?
score by Mario Bertolazzi

By Mateo Sanboval
In the wee hours - heck, at any hour - I cotton to a bit of cheese. Sprinkle a bit of nostalgia over the top and I'm a fish on the line. I never watched The Adventures of Brisco County Jr in my youth, but I, like most of you, have an affinity for one Bruce Campbell. I'm four episodes in and it's just a barrel of fun. The score is above average upbeat 90's TV western bombast, but the jokes and guest "stars" are so on point. They range from in the know jibes to slapstick eye rollers. Good stuff. Hail to the king, baby.
By Bezulsqy
^ I do remember watching that after school hours.

Mario Bianchi's 1971 In nome del padre, del figlio e della Colt a.k.a. The Masked Thief
score by Gianni Ferrio (or on the Spanish title screen listed as Gianni Fierro)

By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:54 pm I thought the first 3/4s of the Kaufman film was really terrific, but I completely checked out after the dance sequence. You put voice to my feelings quite accurately @deaf. (For context, I checked out of La-La Land.... within about 45seconds! :DDD)

Rather unfortunately (having not been exactly wowed by his new picture) I had already decided to embark upon Kaufman's mammoth novel. Dear christ, what am I getting in to??

De Palma wrote a novel this year too....do that one instead. :)
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:53 pm
ScoJo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:54 pm I thought the first 3/4s of the Kaufman film was really terrific, but I completely checked out after the dance sequence. You put voice to my feelings quite accurately @deaf. (For context, I checked out of La-La Land.... within about 45seconds! :DDD)

De Palma wrote a novel this year too....do that one instead. :)

Probably sound advice.
I do really want to read the De-Palma-Tective novel! I also just found out today funnily enough that a 1984 book about the making of Body Double exists! Unfortunately it's a bit pricey/sellers are all in US :(
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:58 pm I do really want to read the De-Palma-Tective novel! I also just found out today funnily enough that a 1984 book about the making of Body Double exists! Unfortunately it's a bit pricey/sellers are all in US :(
What's the name on that book, ScoJ? I might know a corner of the World Wide Web that could merit a rummage.
By static14
@Mateo
Attachments
CEFF07D8-3C34-4370-85C5-202BDED0FAE9.gif
CEFF07D8-3C34-4370-85C5-202BDED0FAE9.gif (1.02 MiB) Viewed 2471 times
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:29 pm
ScoJo wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:58 pm I do really want to read the De-Palma-Tective novel! I also just found out today funnily enough that a 1984 book about the making of Body Double exists! Unfortunately it's a bit pricey/sellers are all in US :(
What's the name on that book, ScoJ? I might know a corner of the World Wide Web that could merit a rummage.
1114961.jpg
1114961.jpg (32.76 KiB) Viewed 2457 times

By Bezulsqy
Osvaldo Civirani's 1971 Il diavolo ha sette facce a.k.a. The Devil Has Seven Faces
score by Stelvio Cipriani