Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
texasvinyl wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:32 am

Love this song so much
It's a good one.

Did you pick up the Super Mario Bro's 2 OST from 2D Ninja?

Have you bought any of Trademarkoflove's square lathe cut 7"s? I bought Majora's Mask and boy oh boy is it bad, the first side is damn near un-listenable, it's so noisy, the first track which is pretty quiet you can barely hear the music. Side B fairs better but still doesn't sound great, I have to turn up the volume almost twice as much as any other record in my collection to hear it. I asked a few others and they said their copies were not great sounding either.
By inksb
Update on Mario 64, they had two small batch releases for people who missed it this past week. I was able to grab one. It wasn't cheap that's for sure but I had $50 in paypal bucks just asking to be wasted on something stupid. The label announced they would not be repressing it but since there is a huge demand another label will take the masters and create their own version of the soundtrack that will be the exact same just different artwork. He is done with Mario 64 and passing it on to some one else. Records are in hand he's just waiting on jackets to arrive.

I just discovered the existence of Donkey Kong Country Restored. Some one went into the game files and took all of the midi information and used that to recreate the soundtrack with the original instruments that David Wise did before it got converted into SNES audio files. It's a really awesome hearing this music like this. DKC is completed, they are almost done with DKC2 and seems like they only have 5 or 6 songs done for DKC3. You can download everything here https://www.neogaf.com/threads/donkey-k ... z.1490467/
Fair warning this guy does not know how to tag mp3 files so everything is a mess and you will be doing it yourself. If you are like me and have the inability to listen to a digital album with out having it in the correct order and tagged properly this will take you a little bit. Here is a sample of the work

Original Simian Segue

Restored Simian Segue
By NathanLurker
I'm very selective on boots. I do buy BlowOut and Ryder releases, because it makes me feel a part of the community, the items are nice mementos, and I told myself I'll buy any legit release of those titles that might happen if by chance they do get a legit release (like possibly the Keep/waxwork if that ever happens). It's kind of the deal, for me, that if I buy a boot, I'll support the legit release, and I still want to be part of the handmades. They're also so limited it's mostly just a circle of friends geeking over shared interest.

But videogame boots.... man. I just can't get into them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
By inksb
NathanLurker wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:30 pm I'm very selective on boots. I do buy BlowOut and Ryder releases, because it makes me feel a part of the community, the items are nice mementos, and I told myself I'll buy any legit release of those titles that might happen if by chance they do get a legit release (like possibly the Keep/waxwork if that ever happens). It's kind of the deal, for me, that if I buy a boot, I'll support the legit release, and I still want to be part of the handmades. They're also so limited it's mostly just a circle of friends geeking over shared interest.

But videogame boots.... man. I just can't get into them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The fact is that a majority of this stuff will never get a vinyl release. Nintendo has shown zero interest in it even though VGM vinyl has been booming over the past few years. The rights are a huge hassle to iron out for a lot of games post 16-bit era. If Nintendo ever released stuff like SMW, any of the Zelda's, Mario 64, etc I'd buy them in a heartbeat, I feel the same as you with buying boots, if it receives an official release I'll buy it.

I do really hope that Square decides to do some official releases for Final Fantasy, I would love to get VI on vinyl or Chrono Trigger. I know there's a 3LP boot for VI but that thing is so ourtrageously priced on ebay it's not even worth considering.

I've personally slowed down on buying VGM vinyl in general. I have a lot of stuff that I've acquired that just sits on my shelf and is never listened to. I try to keep it to stuff I absolutely love and not stuff that just seems like it may be cool to have.
By NathanLurker
inksb wrote: The fact is that a majority of this stuff will never get a vinyl release. Nintendo has shown zero interest in it even though VGM vinyl has been booming over the past few years. The rights are a huge hassle to iron out for a lot of games post 16-bit era. If Nintendo ever released stuff like SMW, any of the Zelda's, Mario 64, etc I'd buy them in a heartbeat, I feel the same as you with buying boots, if it receives an official release I'll buy it.

I do really hope that Square decides to do some official releases for Final Fantasy, I would love to get VI on vinyl or Chrono Trigger. I know there's a 3LP boot for VI but that thing is so ourtrageously priced on ebay it's not even worth considering.

I've personally slowed down on buying VGM vinyl in general. I have a lot of stuff that I've acquired that just sits on my shelf and is never listened to. I try to keep it to stuff I absolutely love and not stuff that just seems like it may be cool to have.
Did you know Sonny is releasing a 2LP picture discs of FFVII/FFVIIRemake ? I'm not much of a FF player so I'll pass on it myself.
This limited edition 2-LP picture disc vinyl set includes music highlights from Final Fantasy VII as well as selected tracks the Remake game. Final Fantasy VII Remake is a reimagining of the iconic original game that redefined the RPG genre, diving deeper into the world and its characters than ever before. The first game in this project will be set in the eclectic city of Midgar and presents a fully standalone gaming experience that provides a great starting point to the series. The game is scheduled for release on March 3, 2020.
By inksb
NathanLurker wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:28 pm Did you know Sonny is releasing a 2LP picture discs of FFVII/FFVIIRemake ? I'm not much of a FF player so I'll pass on it myself.
This limited edition 2-LP picture disc vinyl set includes music highlights from Final Fantasy VII as well as selected tracks the Remake game. Final Fantasy VII Remake is a reimagining of the iconic original game that redefined the RPG genre, diving deeper into the world and its characters than ever before. The first game in this project will be set in the eclectic city of Midgar and presents a fully standalone gaming experience that provides a great starting point to the series. The game is scheduled for release on March 3, 2020.
I did, I wish it was a full soundtrack of each or at least 2LPs per game but I'll take what I can get. It's also crazy expensive, I think it's $70 for a 2LP set and my other issue is that it's picture disc only :(
It has already been released in Japan but every where else it has been delayed a month or so.
I'm incredibly excited for the game in April. It's my second favorite PS1 game, right behind Metal Gear Solid.
By texasvinyl
Dead Cells is an indie game. It moved 2,000,000+ units. I think the LP was a run of 300 copies? I think to these companies there just isn't any money in it. Demand is very niche and limited.
By Revolver_OcelScott
texasvinyl wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:29 pm Dead Cells is an indie game. It moved 2,000,000+ units. I think the LP was a run of 300 copies? I think to these companies there just isn't any money in it. Demand is very niche and limited.
I think it's all relative. All of these bootlegs sell out completely and super quick with lots of people missing out. I love the game dead cells, but the OST wasn't enough for me to want to purchase. Persona 5 Vinyl had quite a big run with the reprint and the 2 different versions AND it was super expensive, but people still bought it and they are going to reprint it for a second time.
By inksb
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:15 pm
texasvinyl wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:29 pm Dead Cells is an indie game. It moved 2,000,000+ units. I think the LP was a run of 300 copies? I think to these companies there just isn't any money in it. Demand is very niche and limited.
I think it's all relative. All of these bootlegs sell out completely and super quick with lots of people missing out. I love the game dead cells, but the OST wasn't enough for me to want to purchase. Persona 5 Vinyl had quite a big run with the reprint and the 2 different versions AND it was super expensive, but people still bought it and they are going to reprint it for a second time.
Exactly. Obviously a soundtrack to something like Dead Cells is a bit of a risk but stuff like Zelda, Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Sonic, Mario 64, etc will all sell pretty damn well. You test the water by doing a few smaller pressings at 500 or 1000 copies for the big titles and see if it's worth it. People are crazy for that stuff. Using Dead Cells as an example of VGM not selling well on vinyl is kind of like Waxworks saying "we won't release any Carpenter The Thing because they won't sell, just look at Richard Band's From Beyond score, that still hasn't sold out" Well of course the lesser known film won't sell as fast as the highly desired stuff.

Also just look at 2D Ninja's records, they are pressing 750 copies of most of their releases and they are all sold out, usually a few days after they go on sale.
By NathanLurker
I don't think that 1000 vs 300 copies makes a difference. I think the point is, if they can't sell 10 000+ copies, there's no real money to be made from the perspective of these companies.

Edit. would rather make some Pachinko machines man
By Dollarhyde
I think nintendo know they could easily push 1000 to 10000 units but I'm sure they know they can sell the licence for something that big at a premium which many of the indie labels couldn't afford.
Secondly I'm sure there is a big concern about quality control and how a label would manage their ip.
I think it will happen, eventually, for those big Nintendo OSTs but when and at what cost who knows?

Still waiting on DATA DISCS to do Sonic. ;P
By inksb
Dollarhyde wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:03 pm I think nintendo know they could easily push 1000 to 10000 units but I'm sure they know they can sell the licence for something that big at a premium which many of the indie labels couldn't afford.
Secondly I'm sure there is a big concern about quality control and how a label would manage their ip.
I think it will happen, eventually, for those big Nintendo OSTs but when and at what cost who knows?

I'm not entirely sure Data Discs will do Sonic, they are well aware of the bootlegs of Sonic 2 and 3. Unfortunately neither of them sound that great (and Sonic 2 is a poorly done lathe). I think they would still sell through their runs because they have a dedicated fan base. I still need to order Sonic CD, I'm just not a huge fan of that game so it's low priority (and it's kind of expensive)
By Revolver_OcelScott
inksb wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:09 pm
Dollarhyde wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:03 pm I think nintendo know they could easily push 1000 to 10000 units but I'm sure they know they can sell the licence for something that big at a premium which many of the indie labels couldn't afford.

I'm not entirely sure Data Discs will do Sonic, they are well aware of the bootlegs of Sonic 2 and 3. Unfortunately neither of them sound that great (and Sonic 2 is a poorly done lathe). I think they would still sell through their runs because they have a dedicated fan base. I still need to order Sonic CD, I'm just not a huge fan of that game so it's low priority (and it's kind of expensive)
I would gladly pay 75 bucks for a Sonic 1-3 collection box like the Okami style box
By Dollarhyde
@revolver same here but would prefer 1 release at a time. I really have a soft spot for the classic sonic OSTs, although not so much the games.

@inks I personally think the original sonic OSTs would sell like crazy.
By inksb
Coming this Wednesday from Mondo
DEATH STRANDING - Original Video Game Score 3XLP. Music by Ludvig Forssell. Original artwork by Max Löffler. Liner notes by Ludvig Forssell and Hideo Kojima. Mondo exclusive pressed on 3X 180 Gram Splatter Vinyl. NOTE: THIS ITEM IS A PRE-ORDER. ALL ORDERS CONTAINING THIS ALBUM DO NOT SHIP UNTIL APRIL 2020. Ships Worldwide. $45

Mondo is proud to present Ludvig Forssell's original score to Hideo Kojima's 2019 masterpiece DEATH STRANDING.

The enigmatic, haunting and beautifully rendered tale of a man tasked with re-connecting a fragmented America in the fallout of an extinction level event is as massive in scope, as it is in tone. But composer Ludvig Forssell has taken Kojima's complex vision and crafted a score worthy of the game's intricate design.

Sci-fi synth, pounding percussion and swirling strings collide with choirs in beautiful and discordant ways as you travel the country in search of connection, while avoiding the spectres that also occupy the land. It all comes to a together with the beautiful BB's Theme, a haunting lullaby, sung by Jenny Plant that would surely be Oscar Nominated for Best Song, if only this were a movie.

This score album is pressed on 3X 180 Gram Colored vinyl discs, and features liner notes by composer Ludvig Forssell and creator and game director Hideo Kojima and all new artwork by Max Löffler.

An additional album, featuring the songs from DEATH STRANDING by Low Roar, Silent Poets and more is coming later in 2020.
I'm actually really excited about this. The score is excellent in the game, the featured songs were not really my thing but I understood what Kojima was going for. I'm really happy they are releasing this as I was worried we would only get the featured songs on vinyl. Kind of bummed about the artwork though, the game has some striking images and this artwork does not match that for me.

By Revolver_OcelScott
inksb wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:20 pm Coming this Wednesday from Mondo
DEATH STRANDING - Original Video Game Score 3XLP. Music by Ludvig Forssell. Original artwork by Max Löffler. Liner notes by Ludvig Forssell and Hideo Kojima. Mondo exclusive pressed on 3X 180 Gram Splatter Vinyl. NOTE: THIS ITEM IS A PRE-ORDER. ALL ORDERS CONTAINING THIS ALBUM DO NOT SHIP UNTIL APRIL 2020. Ships Worldwide. $45

Mondo is proud to present Ludvig Forssell's original score to Hideo Kojima's 2019 masterpiece DEATH STRANDING.

The enigmatic, haunting and beautifully rendered tale of a man tasked with re-connecting a fragmented America in the fallout of an extinction level event is as massive in scope, as it is in tone. But composer Ludvig Forssell has taken Kojima's complex vision and crafted a score worthy of the game's intricate design.

Sci-fi synth, pounding percussion and swirling strings collide with choirs in beautiful and discordant ways as you travel the country in search of connection, while avoiding the spectres that also occupy the land. It all comes to a together with the beautiful BB's Theme, a haunting lullaby, sung by Jenny Plant that would surely be Oscar Nominated for Best Song, if only this were a movie.

This score album is pressed on 3X 180 Gram Colored vinyl discs, and features liner notes by composer Ludvig Forssell and creator and game director Hideo Kojima and all new artwork by Max Löffler.

An additional album, featuring the songs from DEATH STRANDING by Low Roar, Silent Poets and more is coming later in 2020.
I'm actually really excited about this. The score is excellent in the game, the featured songs were not really my thing but I understood what Kojima was going for. I'm really happy they are releasing this as I was worried we would only get the featured songs on vinyl. Kind of bummed about the artwork though, the game has some striking images and this artwork does not match that for me.

I'm all over this, but would much rather be getting MGS2, 3 and 4
By NathanLurker
Artwork is okay. Its the chiral Crystal hand flowers. Makes sense. I'll get that and the following release with the songs. I'm not far in the game, I'm in central knot city. I hate going to deliver to the elder, that dude is so isolated I can't bring my vehicles. I stole a truck from the Mules, that was fun. Smooth sailing once the highways are rebuilt and you can drive above the mule camp.