A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb

I fucking love The Last Dragon. It's one of those films I watched endlessly as a kid.
By inksb
This beauty arrived yesterday. Hopefully I'll have time to watch it this weekend.

By inksb
I did not but the trailer looked like it was pretty fun. I've tried to cut back on complete blind buys on a lot of blurays over the last year. I still need to pick up the two Naschy blurays put out by Scorpion Releasing over the last 6 months.
By ChrisMcQueen007
inksb wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:44 pm I did not but the trailer looked like it was pretty fun. I've tried to cut back on complete blind buys on a lot of blurays over the last year. I still need to pick up the two Naschy blurays put out by Scorpion Releasing over the last 6 months.
Ok, I see. I was just curious as I‘m also on the fence about that one.
By 334578rpm
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:02 pm
inksb wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:44 pm I did not but the trailer looked like it was pretty fun. I've tried to cut back on complete blind buys on a lot of blurays over the last year. I still need to pick up the two Naschy blurays put out by Scorpion Releasing over the last 6 months.
I watched the MM blu of Dangerous Cargo last night. It was fine. I didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. Some interesting cinematography at times, and a pretty jazzy score.
Honestly, the reason to watch this movie is Deborah Shelton. She is mesmerizing throughout. She pulls the "seduce the bad guy" move that seems to be an exploitation movie staple.
The plot gets pretty convoluted, and I didn't understand some of the characters motivations. It might just be me, but I felt that 2 of the main characters (the captain and the first mate) look similar enough that I kept getting them confused.
I thought the transfer looked fantastic. Much better than it has any right to look. Bright, blue seas; bold, red boats. No extras outside of the booklet included in the limited edition (which is pretty much all about Deborah).
My suggestion would be to wait for a sale. I'm glad I watched it, but I can't image I'll revisit it any time soon (if ever).
By inksb
334578rpm wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:21 pm
I watched the MM blu of Dangerous Cargo last night. It was fine. I didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. Some interesting cinematography at times, and a pretty jazzy score.
Honestly, the reason to watch this movie is Deborah Shelton. She is mesmerizing throughout. She pulls the "seduce the bad guy" move that seems to be an exploitation movie staple.
The plot gets pretty convoluted, and I didn't understand some of the characters motivations. It might just be me, but I felt that 2 of the main characters (the captain and the first mate) look similar enough that I kept getting them confused.
I thought the transfer looked fantastic. Much better than it has any right to look. Bright, blue seas; bold, red boats. No extras outside of the booklet included in the limited edition (which is pretty much all about Deborah).
My suggestion would be to wait for a sale. I'm glad I watched it, but I can't image I'll revisit it any time soon (if ever).
Thanks for the info. Looks like I may just be passing on this one.
By ChrisMcQueen007
inksb wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:45 pm
334578rpm wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:21 pm

Thanks for the info. Looks like I may just be passing on this one.
Yes, thanks for the intel, appreciated.
By 334578rpm
Ok, so what we have here, is Denise Richards (in her first starring role) dating football jock Paul Walker. Her punk-ass ex-boyfriend gets jealous of them, and takes Paul Walker to a wild life reservation and leaves him there where he gets mauled by a lion.
Meanwhile, a mad scientist and his team (which includes a midget robotics expert, a 'roided out tough man, and.. a chick with boobs?) create a robot T-rex. Instead of having it controlled by a computer, he wants to implant a real human brain. They catch wind of Paul Walker being in the hospital, so they disguise themselves as doctors, break in, fake his death, and steal his body. They then gruesomely cut open his scalp, remove his brain, and connect it to the T-Rex.
Well, Pauly-Rex does like this much, so he escapes and takes revenge on all those who did him wrong. Meanwhile, he convinces Tammy (Denise) that he is actually Paul Walker's brain. They fall further in love, and she helps him evade the scientist and the cops who are after them.
Originally released as a censored PG-13 version, it has recently been re-released in the unedited "gore" version, with added scenes of graphic blood and gore. So you have this cheesy 90's high school rom-com, mixed with an extremely silly B-movie brain transplant plot, and then you fill it with be-headings galore and spewed intestines.
I have to ask...who green-lit this movie? Who was the target audience?
Well, apparently, it was me, a quarter century later. I dug the hell out of it.
By inksb
I can't wait to watch that. I have the 4K pre-ordered on Amazon but it got delayed so I'm not sure when I'll be receiving it.
By 334578rpm
Spookies... What to say about Spookies...
Well, I came for the fart monsters, and was not disappointed. And the transfer from Vinegar Syndrome looks nice.
I'm still trying to decide if the move was bad-good or just bad. But I think I'm leaning towards the former. It's certainly a disaster, but in a way, it kind of works. And the practical effects are glorious.
Now I can't wait to watch the making of documentary to find out how this mess all came together.
By static14
My favorite thing about Tammy is that in the opening credits during the workout routine she’s credited as Tanny.
By ScoJo
055427FA-4DA1-4803-B148-9A639D25DFA0-538-0000009D38B4FE5B.jpg
055427FA-4DA1-4803-B148-9A639D25DFA0-538-0000009D38B4FE5B.jpg (71.8 KiB) Viewed 3369 times
By ScoJo
Really fantastic, liked it a lot.

Annihilation by way of Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill! Would be a great double feature with From Beyond too.

The score is something else.... had it super loud in my headphones and it was frankly terrifying tbh. And suitably cosmic/otherwordly.

The Milan release in early Feb will be a day-one grab for me.
By static14
Loving this review @Scojo. I am really looking forward to the flick and score. Super happy to see Stanley back at it.
By inksb
I have the 4K pre-ordered of Color Out of Space as well. I can't wait to see, I think that ships in late February.
By Hatter313
Yeah, psyched for this
By maxlevel
Uncut Gems. What a whirlwind. Old school Shakespearean epic

Only tiny mistake I noticed was (or maybe I missed something, film goes like a rocket) the huge error in valuation of the title gem by Howard. It’s a spectacular mistake which isn’t really explained. There’s no way he would have done that original deal to set the whole film in motion if he thought his gamble was so small a return, his livelihood is based on knowing the real values of everything. so after everything it didn’t quite add up apart from a plot point to bring in the final act. It dosnt change the film much, it’s a minor thing which you would miss when guessing the voice on the phone
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:47 pm Really fantastic, liked it a lot.

Annihilation by way of Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill! Would be a great double feature with From Beyond too.

The score is something else.... had it super loud in my headphones and it was frankly terrifying tbh. And suitably cosmic/otherwordly.

The Milan release in early Feb will be a day-one grab for me.
I am confused as to whom is releasing this on vinyl. Waxwork stated they are releasing it on vinyl and Milan on digital:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7Hf1WlBtE8 ... _copy_link

I can't find info that Milan is actually releasing it on vinyl. Same as with Parasite and the Lighthouse I assume where Sacred Bones did the vinyl releases.
By ScoJo
My bad (or some article I read was wrong...)

Milan doing digital only. Vinyl is from WW on 24th Jan.
By inksb
maxlevel wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:35 am Uncut Gems. What a whirlwind. Old school Shakespearean epic

Only tiny mistake I noticed was (or maybe I missed something, film goes like a rocket) the huge error in valuation of the title gem by Howard. It’s a spectacular mistake which isn’t really explained. There’s no way he would have done that original deal to set the whole film in motion if he thought his gamble was so small a return, his livelihood is based on knowing the real values of everything. so after everything it didn’t quite add up apart from a plot point to bring in the final act. It dosnt change the film much, it’s a minor thing which you would miss when guessing the voice on the phone
I looked at that in two different ways, first he was just banking on it's rough estimate being huge based on what some one said from a photograph of the gem, not really know the value of it himself but relying on others. The actual low ball amount seemed like a fuck you from the place he was dealing with (they knew he was in dire need to sell it) and like they said, they didn't give them proper time to analyze the gem, it should take more time and they were given less than 24 hours which means some guy just glanced at it and assigned a bullshit number. That's kind of how I saw that situation, maybe I'm just inferring too much.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:07 pm
maxlevel wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:35 am Uncut Gems. What a whirlwind. Old school Shakespearean epic

I looked at that in two different ways, first he was just banking on it's rough estimate being huge based on what some one said from a photograph of the gem, not really know the value of it himself but relying on others. The actual low ball amount seemed like a fuck you from the place he was dealing with (they knew he was in dire need to sell it) and like they said, they didn't give them proper time to analyze the gem, it should take more time and they were given less than 24 hours which means some guy just glanced at it and assigned a bullshit number. That's kind of how I saw that situation, maybe I'm just inferring too much.
On the other hand.....

This is how I win.

(As has been pointed out by many, following on from what they did together on Good Time, the use/mixing/aggressiveness of Lopati n's score is absolutely fucking crazy. I can't begin to imagine what an average, casual go-check-out-this-new-film cinemagoer must make of that first ten minutes!)