Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
chiefbrody wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:33 am
ScoJo wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:36 am Their disclaimer was more along the lines of 'issues with the hand pressed flame edition of 500, so most were junked but some were deemed ok and sold on proviso that you are aware of the issue' (also paraphrased!)
That's probably closer to it! I have visually inspected LP1 and there are clearly some pits (craters, more like) under the labels, but the grooves look ok. That's still not much use to you, given you already have a copy. Should have known when it seemed too good to be true. It still seems strange that they've made it out to retail after all this time.
Fwiw, that guy toysandfilms who I previously got The Burbs (WW) from for a steal, seems like he is getting hold of bulk/warehouse copies of stuff, to be able to move them on at way below the going rate. I imagine it's a similar thing for Rarewaves, a couple boxes of unsold stuff are found in the distrib hub and the word goes out to retailers/they have their own connection to grab stuff up somehow.

I'm very curious to see what turns up today anyway! Worst comes to worst, I'll throw it on Discogs for the median price of around £30 haha!

More importantly, glad it seems that you have a 'playable' copy anyway chief. The other slightly odd feature on my existing one is that there are what look like spots of blood on the centre labels! I think it's actually spattered hot red wax droplets, but I can't deny it looks kinda cool ;-)

IMG-1292.JPG
IMG-1292.JPG (2.88 MiB) Viewed 4216 times
By ScoJo
Well.... that was all a bit of a 'mare sadly. My own fault for not initially querying seller about the vinyl colour, and assuming it was black.

- The first copy sent out to a local store/collection point never arrived.
- Messaged seller who was v.helpful and said he would send a replacement. I asked that he ship to my home address with this one, wary of the whole 'sending to a collection point' thing which I've never done before.
- Got notification that replacement was awaiting... at store/collection point!
- Picked it up today... yep, it's the 'dodgy' flame vinyl. And inspecting it, this one is in worse condition than the one I already have, with multiple small 'scratchy doodles' where pressing debris has rubbed around loose inside the inner sleeve and marked the vinyl.
(you can feel the tiny bits of crud when wiping it down)

Since I can't really flog it on, guess I'll have to report damage to the seller for a return, and hope he understands that I'd rather have refund than yet another copy of the borked version!

The Devil is fucking with me on this one ;-)
By inksb
:(

Sounds like I'm in for a shit copy. At least it was only $15. I won't be bothering with sending it back.

I just had a fun experience on discogs. I bought a record that was graded VG. The seller messaged me before shipping saying that it sounds worse than he had initially graded, he said he would refund me or he could send it and I can check it out to see if I'm OK with it. Well I said send it along and I'll check it out, I figured it might have some scratches or be really dirty since it's an older record. Well I got out my cleaning set up (had to clean those lathes I just got :) and I looked at the record there are two huge gouges out of it, so bad that you can rub your finger over them and feel it drop down a lot. One section you can see the grooves folded over on to each other. I won't even put this thing on a record player for fear of breaking the needle. Not sure what the fuck this guy was on about, he should just said it was unplayable instead of plays a little worse than he thought. Now I need to go through the process of getting my money back, which he said he would refund but has yet to do...
By chiefbrody
It's not been a good week for us, has it lads?

@ScoJo, I'm sorry to report that my LP2 was significantly worse than LP1, to the eye, never mind the needle. The seller has offered 20% refund if I want to keep it, full refund if I return it. Can't complain with that, but I'm apologise that I got us mixed up in this sorry mess!
By ScoJo
Ah crap, sorry to hear that @chief - no need to feel bad, shit happens when you jump on/share a seeming bargain.
Somebody's probably going to be getting my extra copy for xmas heh heh...
By inksb
Got my copy today, it's a bit rough Side A has a lot of little pock marks, mostly effects the beginning and the last 5-6 seconds of the side. Side B looks good but has a really big on right in the middle, Side C has a bunch of small one's and Side D has a mixture of small medium and large. It doesn't completely ruin it but it's kind of a rough listen.
By milliondollars
just a small heads up on Ninth Gate. i had the flame version plus the black one. if you have some above average equipment and you do a comparison, you will hear a difference for sure. the flame one does not sound bad but the black version is more quiet. i am super glad that i got rid of the flame coloured version now.

by the way: the flame version is still available for sale for £15.99 in the Silva Screen webshop, while the black one is sold out for a long time now and it was £22.99, when you purchased from their website.

have mentioned this in a discogs comment a while ago but some flippers were not really amused and have reported my comment and it was removed quite fast. of course discogs prefers the flippers as they grab the fees from sales so it seems quite logical...
By Mateo Sanboval
milliondollars wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:09 am just a small heads up on Ninth Gate. i had the flame version plus the black one. if you have some above average equipment and you do a comparison, you will hear a difference for sure. the flame one does not sound bad but the black version is more quiet. i am super glad that i got rid of the flame coloured version now.

by the way: the flame version is still available for sale for £15.99 in the Silva Screen webshop, while the black one is sold out for a long time now and it was £22.99, when you purchased from their website.

have mentioned this in a discogs comment a while ago but some flippers were not really amused and have reported my comment and it was removed quite fast. of course discogs prefers the flippers as they grab the fees from sales so it seems quite logical...
Millie's Discogs comments alone are worth the price of admission.
Last edited by Mateo Sanboval on Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
By inksb
Does any one understand why sellers on discogs put records that are still in print and widely available for more than what it is to just buy it new from most retail outlets? I have both the black and clear version of Kankyō Ongaku on my wantlist, I see people put them up for sale every week or so for $75-$85 for the clear and $65-$75 for the black. These can be ordered from Amazon and LITA for $55 & $65. That's just one example of many.
By Jimmy_Mike
inksb wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:08 pm Does any one understand why sellers on discogs put records that are still in print and widely available for more than what it is to just buy it new from most retail outlets? I have both the black and clear version of Kankyō Ongaku on my wantlist, I see people put them up for sale every week or so for $75-$85 for the clear and $65-$75 for the black. These can be ordered from Amazon and LITA for $55 & $65. That's just one example of many.
Always gotta hussle.
By NathanLurker
Well, if it's a legit store on discogs and not a random dude reselling new stuff with a markup, sometimes, stores just don't have that good of a deal on distro prices. Like, for example, I know that the distro price my local store can import waxwork titles for is about the same price as the actual waxwork webstore price before shipping cost for that item. I'm in Canada though. so I'm not sure if that happens within the US. it's just an example to say, distribution is weird. I sometimes get better deals from juno in the UK than from local stores when I import a US release.
By inksb
Funny story. I recently purchased a record from a seller on discogs under the name GoblinCrusher. When I received the package it came in a LITA box, with LITA shipping label and LITA packing slip inside but the packing slip didn't actually have the price I paid on it. I was going through a wantlist message from discogs and I noticed that GoblinCrusher had a bunch of new stuff posted. One of them was the Kankyō Ongaku clear edition for $79. I think it's pretty funny that they are just selling some of their records on discogs at a higher price to see if people will buy them. It's only $65 directly from LITA's site.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:29 pm Funny story. I recently purchased a record from a seller on discogs under the name GoblinCrusher. When I received the package it came in a LITA box, with LITA shipping label and LITA packing slip inside but the packing slip didn't actually have the price I paid on it. I was going through a wantlist message from discogs and I noticed that GoblinCrusher had a bunch of new stuff posted. One of them was the Kankyō Ongaku clear edition for $79. I think it's pretty funny that they are just selling some of their records on discogs at a higher price to see if people will buy them. It's only $65 directly from LITA's site.
A lot of stores do this. In Europe one of the biggest is HHV.de. Prices on Discogs tend to be higher as they have to cover the costs from Discogs.
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:36 pm
inksb wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:29 pm Funny story. I recently purchased a record from a seller on discogs under the name GoblinCrusher. When I received the package it came in a LITA box, with LITA shipping label and LITA packing slip inside but the packing slip didn't actually have the price I paid on it. I was going through a wantlist message from discogs and I noticed that GoblinCrusher had a bunch of new stuff posted. One of them was the Kankyō Ongaku clear edition for $79. I think it's pretty funny that they are just selling some of their records on discogs at a higher price to see if people will buy them. It's only $65 directly from LITA's site.
A lot of stores do this. In Europe one of the biggest is HHV.de. Prices on Discogs tend to be higher as they have to cover the costs from Discogs.
Sure, I just find it funny that it's not under the companies name. I know lots of shops sell through discogs but usually they promote themselves while doing it. Also Discogs selling fee is 8%, a $5.20 increase would cover the fee, they have it for $14 more. But don't mind me I think their $10 price hike for clear vinyl over black is more absurd anyways. haha.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:44 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:36 pm
Sure, I just find it funny that it's not under the companies name. I know lots of shops sell through discogs but usually they promote themselves while doing it. Also Discogs selling fee is 8%, a $5.20 increase would cover the fee, they have it for $14 more. But don't mind me I think their $10 price hike for clear vinyl over black is more absurd anyways. haha.
Ha! Agreed!
By Bub
Sorry for this late heads up but Urban Outfitters is currently having a "Take an extra 50% off all sale items" sale & these might be of interest. Sale ends tonight I believe & there are only a few Elvira left it says.

Eric Allaman - Elvira's Haunted Hills (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) Limited LP $7.50
https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/er ... limited-lp?

Danny Elfman - Scrooged (Music From The Motion Picture) Limited LP $7.50
https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/da ... mited-2xlp?