Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
deafmetal wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:29 pm @inks - Great info, thank you. I was hoping they had solved any com lag issues with these new digital cabinets. I also felt it looked a bit small, but was hard to tell from photos. I have always wanted an original MKII cab or a pinball machine, but it's such a large space commitment. It would probably drive Jamie crazy anyway, haha.
If you have a Walmart near you they should have one on display, that's where I first saw them. Although I played one at a local tattoo shop. I don't beleive the Walmart display had power at the time.
inksb wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:39 pm
NathanLurker wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:08 pm one of the best snes game. My personal favorite is Super Metroid but A Link to the Past is up there. I added Blazing Chrome to my wishlist on PS store. gonna wait for a sale
Agreed. I personally would put Link to the Past above Super Metroid but that is based purely on nostalgia. I did not play Super Metroid until the PS2 era, it was just a game I never bought or rented.

What would be your top 5 SNES games?

I'm not 100% on mine but it would probably be something like this.

Mega Man X
Zelda Link to the Past
Secret of Mana
Donkey Kong Country 2
Super Mario World
I can't keep it down to five, in no particular order.

Super Mario World
Mario Kart
Yoshi's Island
Donkey Kong Country 2
Zelda LTTP
Super Metroid
Pilot wings
By inksb
Dollarhyde wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:11 am I can't keep it down to five, in no particular order.

Super Mario World
Mario Kart
Yoshi's Island
Donkey Kong Country 2
Zelda LTTP
Super Metroid
Pilot wings
I can't argue with that list. Although I should really play Pilot Wings, it's one SNES game that I missed out on.

So here is the absurdly ridiculous purchase I made last weekend. This is a custom boxset of the two SNES Secret of Mana games. Full reproductions with box, inserts, manuals, art book, prints and soundtracks. Both games are custom ROMs loaded on to an actual cart, they will play in the original SNES no problem. SoM1 is an enhanced version with translation modifications, updated dialog that matches the original Japanese script, allows for better management, fixed scrolling distance so when you transition between screens you don't just run into an enemy randomly and an adjustment to item management. SoM2 is a custom fan translation as it was a Japanese only release until about a month ago when Nintendo finally released it on the Switch in the US. This is an incredible package and I'm blown away by the amount of care and effort that went into this. I can't wait to replay the first game and finally experience Secret of Mana 2!

:O

That's a pretty epic package. I, or rather myself and a few others, finished secret of mana but in all honesty I don't remember much of the game. A Friend of mine got it for Christmas and we all played it very wasted on a come down at like 4 in the morning, 3 player! It took us about an hour to get past a few trees at the beginning of the game. Nightmare :D

Pilot wings is great although I have a lot of nostalgia for it. Pilot wings 64 is pretty cool also, it's a crime it didn't make it onto the mini SNES classic, may well have to mod mine.
Beautiful cart. Love this game.

Top 5 SNES for me:

FFVI
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Zelda LTTP
Contra III The Alien Wars

Next five

Secret of Mana
Super Mario Kart
Turtles In Time
Killer Instinct
Donkey Kong Country
oh man, I dunno, I think my top games are

Super Metroid
Zelda LTTP
Contra III
Pocky & Rocky

But then for fifth place, I dunno... maybe Mortal Kombat II 'cause I played it a lot, maybe one of those cool mickey mouse games.... one of the awesome RPGs of the console, Mario RPG, Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire... Super Adventure Island ? Flashback ? dunno
I did all the location recording for this PS4 game. I’d be interested if anyone plays it and has some thoughts. It’s actually not my personal sort of game, I prefer arcade but the whole idea was right up my street. Apparently they cut all my favourite bits as they were too violent and Sony wanted a family friendly game, which is fair enough I guess *kicks leafs*

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/erica-ps4/
By inksb
Here are two imports from Japan that recently landed in my mailbox.

Rockman X3 (Mega Man X3) is a great game, the US release is a bit of holy grail for me, I've had it in my hands to purchase twice over the last two 25 years and never pulled the trigger. The price just keeps climbing due to how late it came out in the SNES life cycle and lower production quanity compared to it's previous entries. It's current price for just the cartrdige is $150+, I paid $22 for the Japanese version. I know the story and don't need to read the text, it's the gameplay that's important to me.

Gundam Wing Endless Dual. This a 2D Gundam fighting game which never left Japan. It should have as it's honestly one of the better fighting games for the SNES. It's really fast compared to most fighters on the system, has great sprite work, big characters, combos and all around just fun to play. A really cool find.

I finished Red Dead Redemption 2. At least the main story and most of the side missions. Total completion at 87%. Brilliant game. But happy to set it aside so I can focus on watching movies again...
By inksb
I've been playing a ton of Monster Hunter World Iceborne for weeks, not much else until last week when Luigi's Mansion 3 was released. That game is wonderful. From the animation to the graphics to the incredibly fun level design, it's all just so well done. I would definitely put it towards the top of Switch's library.

I was gifted a copy of Death Stranding, I'm really excited to try it out this week. I love Kojima's absurd story telling. It seems to be a very divisive game, lots of hate and love for it.
I had to give monster hunter up. Got it when it came out. I eventually got to the high rank and did a little bit of it, but it just got too tough, and it's very grindy. And slow going with the grinding. But I had a lot of fun getting as far as I did (admittedly often with help from Japanese players who all were incredibly good). probably one of the all time great games. Very very fun, but challenging.

Glad to hear it about Luigi Mansion. I've never played one of the mansion games, so I'll likely pick this one up.

I've really really enjoyed the Links Awakening remake on switch. Beautifully done. And I'm just too old for complicated games, so I appreciate the old school simplicity. Dead Cells is the other one I love to play. I can kill hand of the king consistently and am close to getting past the Giant boss, but it's very difficult. I can't believe there are three higher difficulties. I tried the next difficulty level and got absolutely owned.
By inksb
Yeah, MH is very grindy but in the best way (for me). I have an absurd amount of hours into World/Iceborne (over 700), I'm a decent player but I jsut have so much fun learning all of the monsters moves, what to do at the exact time of move A and what not do after move B, etc. It's not for everyone. I have really shitty interent at home and it's one of the only games I can play online with out having major issues. So me and my brother play it together a lot.

I never played the original Luigi's Mansion but I played Dark Moon on the 3DS which I enjoyed. The third one controls so much better. It's a nice well paced and relaxing game to play. I appreciate that. It sounds like you may really enjoy playing it.

Link's Awakening is on my list of Switch games to get. I missed out on a lot of those handheld Zelda's through the 90s so it's pretty awesome to have something like this get remade.

As for Dead Cells, I played that a lot when it was in early access but I haven't touched it in over a year and I know it's changed a lot. I should give it a go again.
By inksb
I started playing Death Stranding last night. It's definitely a Kojima game. I only had time for about 1.5 hours so I mostly watched cut scenes and moved the character around for 10 minutes. The game is beautiful, they do some interesting techniques to save on rendering/processing of certain things. An example, is during a cut scene we see the main characters face and shoulders rendered in immaculate detail, every "joe dirt" styled hair on his face and his pores. Then it cuts to a different character in the foreground and he's soft focus in the background. Instead of just using a soft focus they actually drop his textures because it's easier to render and saves on time/power/resources. It's clever and works just fine with how cinematic Kojima treats the camera.
By inksb
I'm around 50-60 hours into Death Stranding and feel like I'm approaching the final section of the game but I have a lot of stuff to update & upgrade so I may slow up on the story quests for a bit.

I have been keeping an eye on a game called Session for the PC for the last few months, it's a skateboarding sim, not an arcade skateboarding game like Tony Hawk, they are going for realism. It finally went on sale for $10 in the Steam Sale yesterday and I picked it up. It's just an open area of a city, you set find a spot to practice a trick and you just keep trying over and over again until you land it. There's a really great replay camera that you can mess with and record your trick with. I love it so far, it's still rough but that's normal for being in early access and honestly it's in way better condition than I thought it would be. The controls are really cool and very counter intuitive to what every video game has programmed into you over the last two decades. The analog sticks are used to control your feet and board, turning is dedicated to the triggers (R2 & L2), it's weird but actually works really well. To do an ollie, you hold back on the right stick and flick the left forward. To kickflip you hold back on the right stick then flip up/right diagnol on left stick. If you are riding switch then to do an ollie you hold back on the left stick and flick forward with the right stick. It makes my brain hurt thinking of the controls but over time I'll get the hang of it. There's a really nice feature where once you find a spot you want to skate, you can set a marker and if you fail you just press a button and restart at your marker so you can just keep hammering at your trick over and over again until you land it. It took me 15 minutes last night just to land a nose slide on a ledge and man did it feel good to do it. If you were a skating punk from the 90's and you miss it a little then you should check this out, it's pretty cool.

I beat Luigi's Mansion 3, it was excellent. Highly recommended if you have a Switch.
By inksb
I finished Death Stranding, the last 6-7 hours are incredible. Full blown Kojima insanity. Now that I've completed I can easily say it's one of the best games of 2019.

The next game I decided to start is Judgment from the creators of the Yakuza series. I've never played Yakuza but they seem like they are really interesting, I'm a sucker for ridiculous Japanese humor and culture. Judgment is a private detective game in the Yakuza world, takes place in the same city I believe (Kamurocho). It's essentially an action RPG with light detective segments, tons of mini games and ridiculous story elements. I have befriended an American who is obsessed with being a ninja, he is always in Ninja attire and now he shows up for all my random skirmishes through out the city throwing smoke bombs and shuriken at the gang members as I fight them. I just unlocked the ability to start dating, lol. It's a ton of fun and I can see myself sinking tons of hours into it.

I'm hopefully getting my brother's copy of Jedi Fallen Order in the next few weeks, that's one of the big games from last year that I missed out on. It looks really awesome.

And I received this from my friend who makes Limited Edition SNES games. Laplace's Demon is a survival horror RPG with Lovecraft overtones only released in Japan. As usual he did an incredible job on this, I've never played it but really excited to dive in although it probably won't be for a few weeks.

By inksb
Dollarhyde wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:15 am Judgement sounds interesting, have you tried the PS4 Hokuto no ken game ? I've heard good things. May try it if I can find the time.
Not yet, I almost bought it last summer when it was on sale for $25 but ended up deciding I didn't have time to play it. I heard it is really good as well and glad you reminded me, I think it's from the same team that makes the Yakuza games which is exciting. Adding it to my 'wantlist' on Amazon.
By inksb
I had to take a break from Judgment, I love that game but I have a hard time not doing every side quest a game offers me and I was getting a little fatigued with not progressing the story. So in the mean time I decided to subscribe to Origin Access and play the new Star Wars game Jedi Fallen Order. That's a lot of fun, it's a blend of Tomb Raider, Uncharted and Sekiro. I ended up bumping the difficulty up to Jedi Master, I like the tighter parry timing, I was actually missing more on the easier difficulty. I'm a little over half way through and my only criticism of the game is that sometimes after you beat the boss of a section you have to back track all the way through what you just spent hours traveling to get there, it's not fun, a cut scene to get me back to the ship would have sufficed. If you are playing on PC you may experience issues with frame spikes and stuttering, it's poorly optimized, I have a decent PC, not top of the line anymore but it's only about 3 years old and was pretty damn good at the time. It has nothing to do with my specs, none of my components are even stressed, from what I read due to the engine it loads assets in as you traverse sections and when it starts loading you get stutters. It's weird and takes you out of the game. My brother who has a computer worse than mine barely has it happen and a friend who has a $5000 computer has more problems than I do.

I just beat a game called River City Girls which is a beat'em up that takes place in the River City Ransom universe. It's really cute and a lot of fun. My wife and I beat the whole thing together, it's a great game to play co-op with so if you have a partner who is kind of interested in videogames but finds modern ones too complex to learn this is a great one to play together. Highly recommended.

And last but not least I picked up a game called Hades on Steam which is like some one took Gauntlet and combined it with Binding of Isaac/Enter the Gungeon (ie Rouge-like game). It's a blast, the art direction is incredible, voice work is really good too. A lot of fun, I've tried maybe 6 runs and have only made it to the end of floor 2. It's quite challenging but not in a frustrating way. It's still in early access but honestly feels pretty damn complete to me.

This evening or tomorrow I will be posting another set of pics of a really awesome limited edition SNES game I just received in the mail so keep your eyes peeled if you like the previous ones I posted.
By inksb
A little delayed but here is the newest edition to the collection.

Front Mission: Gun Hazard

I've always wanted to play this side scrolling action/RPG. There was a fully translated English patch released about 4-5 years ago I think, I've had the rom patched for a while but when I was presented with the opportunity to snag a fully produced Eng patched collectors edition of the game I jumped right on it. It came with the game, tons of goodies like prints and a full manual, a 2CD soundtrack and a beautiful 9x12 art book.

By inksb
I beat Jedi Fallen Order. The final two fights were fantastic, a surprise appearance by a Star Wars staple makes the ending/cliff hanger quite exciting. I can't wait for a sequel.

I returned to Hollow Knight which I stopped playing sometime last year, no real reason that I stopped other than getting busy with other stuff and never returned. Over the weekend I actually had very little to do other than write music and play video games so I did just that. I played a lot of Hollow Knight and I'm close to the end of the base game but I need to do a lot of extra collecting and item finding before I progress the story. It's one of the best 'Metroidvania' games outside of Castlevania SOTN and Super Metroid. It's incredibly well designed and plays so well, the controls are kind of perfect which I noticed a lot of games in the genre don't get quite right at times. One word of warning to any one who is thinking of playing it, bosses & mini-bosses are insanely tough. Many bosses take upwards 10-15 attempts before you beat them, some of them have a long run back to them which can increase frustration. With that frustration comes immense satisfaction in victory similar to the Dark Souls series. I'm at end game and I'm resorting to using a guide to try and find some of the stuff I missed along the way, so much hidden in every area of the game.