Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
monsterworship wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:22 pm
ScoJo wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:15 pm Someone should do Brad Fiedel's early horror scores for Just Before Dawn (weird whistling/drone shiz) and Night School (just watched this one, classy synth slasher sounds!)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=25Jq_uAB5qQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RnpqHv42SmU
ive mentioned this before. this was actually the first project I tried to do. I did contact Brad F, he told me that the masters were gone.
I was talking with Jon at TLV on IG the other day about Fright Night and he said he talked with Brad (or his manager?) and I guess a lot of those masters are gone, Fright Night included.
By Mateo Sanboval
If only there was a way to get Fright Night on wax...

*sigh*
By Mateo Sanboval
Bub wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:09 pm
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:43 pm What about the Heat score/soundtrack? I'd spin that on wax.
Someone made this happen for you, Mateo

Heat - Music From The Motion Picture (2-LP transparent cool blue colored vinyl) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z74ZYMC/re ... WDb3NDMVEK
Fuck to the yes, Bub. Done and dusted.
By Hatter313
Was reading late last night and had The Dark Half by Christopher Young on, this needs a wax release.

Come on waxwork, you’ve done Young, you’ve done a lot of Romero....make it happen.
By ScoJo
In the spirit of The Dark Half... I second/mirror/double/twin this request.

(Having just rewatched Secret Window, a King story not dissimilar from TDH, it always amuses me to see Hutton in the bf role. Nice easter egg, David Koepp!!)
By Hatter313
Anyone know if there’s a way to get the score to The Seventh Seal by Erik Nordgren? I found some clips on YouTube but otherwise nada.

I just rewatched it the other night, which given the current state of things maybe was a little too on the nose, and it occurred to me that this is an area that needs more availability.

Also Kwaidan by Toru Takemitsu, I need to track that down as well, although it looks like some old suite compilations may have that stuff on it.
By Mateo Sanboval
I'd very much enjoy having this on a black circle.
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:38 am Image
I'd very much enjoy having this on a black circle.
Solid 90s neo-noir. Good atmosphere. Great cast. I back it. Don't recall the score though.
By Mateo Sanboval
There are a couple of country (Dwight Yoakam, maybe?) tunes on there that aren't necessary as they break up the atmosphere of the Patrick O'Hearn score. O'Hearn, for those not familiar, is one of the many Zappa expats that founded Missing Persons in the early 80's before making a decent career for himself with some darker-tinged, cinematic New Age albums. He became a staple of the Windham Hill and Private Music labels. Perhaps most notably for a few of us here, he is a frequent Mark Isham collaborator and one of his bandmates in Group 87.
Last edited by Mateo Sanboval on Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Mateo Sanboval

I gave this a quick scan and believe it to be the full monty. As mentioned, beware the country tunes as they wouldn't be included in the score.
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:46 pm
I gave this a quick scan and believe it to be the full monty. As mentioned, beware the country tunes as they wouldn't be included in the score.
Beans = cool!

Thumbs = aloft!

Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio = hawt!
By havershaw
I went down a little Amityville Horror rabbit hole last night and I realized that Lalo Schrifrin’s score to Amityville II has never been released in any format.
I just looked on YouTube and recently someone sort of put it on there - still sounded sourced from the film, as I’m still hearing some sound effects etc.

I know his Amityville II score is pretty derivative of his score for the first one, but I’ve always felt it’s even scarier (maybe it’s because I think the movie has a creepier vibe?).

how is this totally unreleased?!?

(Howard Blake’s fantastic Amityville 3D score is also only available on a “collector’s only” CD released by the composer himself, but at least it’s something.)
By ScoJo
havershaw wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:26 pm I went down a little Amityville Horror rabbit hole last night and I realized that Lalo Schrifrin’s score to Amityville II has never been released in any format.
I just looked on YouTube and recently someone sort of put it on there - still sounded sourced from the film, as I’m still hearing some sound effects etc.

I know his Amityville II score is pretty derivative of his score for the first one, but I’ve always felt it’s even scarier (maybe it’s because I think the movie has a creepier vibe?).

how is this totally unreleased?!?

(Howard Blake’s fantastic Amityville 3D score is also only available on a “collector’s only” CD released by the composer himself, but at least it’s something.)
Amityville II unreleased Schifrin score - hmmm.... I shall look into this *HUGE WINKS*
By Hatter313
Yes to all of the above^
By havershaw
When I was a kid, one of my many obsessions was Amityville, and I always thought the house seemed scarier in Amityville II.

I think it’s because they filmed the opposite side of the house (without the porch) more often* and for some reason, that side seems creepier? I don’t know, that doesn’t make much sense, haha.
It’s just a colder, bleaker film and I always thought the score was even scarier than the original.

I’m enough of an Amityville nerd that I have 1:1 copies of the production-used blueprints for the facade they put on the Tom’s River house to make it look more like the real house, lol.

*edit: I believe that’s the only side ever seen in the film, but there are production stills of the porch side so I know they built the facade on both sides for Amityville II. They *only* built the porch side for Amityville 3D so I don’t think you ever see the driveway side of the house in that one. (yeah I’m a nerd.)
By Hatter313
I have an enormous soft spot for the first movie, but I think the second one is a fuller film since it plays a lot faster and looser with the story it’s telling and BARELY uses the Defeo case, where as the first is almost like a long reenactment from a documentary.

Both my folks grew up not too far away in different towns but were also both long gone from LI by the time it happened, but they knew the area very well, and my grandparents retired to amityville in the 90s. I know I walked by the real house at least one when I was a kid.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:18 am I have an enormous soft spot for the first movie, but I think the second one is a fuller film since it plays a lot faster and looser with the story it’s telling and BARELY uses the Defeo case, where as the first is almost like a long reenactment from a documentary.

Both my folks grew up not too far away in different towns but were also both long gone from LI by the time it happened, but they knew the area very well, and my grandparents retired to amityville in the 90s. I know I walked by the real house at least one when I was a kid.
I haven't seen the films in ages, so I obviously need to reacquaint myself with them, but this is my recollection as well.; the second is stronger than the first.

And, Havershaw, your entire post made me beam. Nothing is cooler to me than someone who wades nostril deep into something that turn them on...and then keeps going. Blueprints, man? Never stop.