A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By static14
:)
Attachments
1C4920D0-7AFF-4F3C-AA2B-1CA8943C60EF.jpeg
1C4920D0-7AFF-4F3C-AA2B-1CA8943C60EF.jpeg (647.87 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
By Bezulsqy
^ remind me :-)

And thank you Scojo! Sounds incredible!
Attachments
789F8678-9725-4DC7-B95D-94A8FE5D09AD.jpeg
789F8678-9725-4DC7-B95D-94A8FE5D09AD.jpeg (647.17 KiB) Viewed 2632 times
By deafmetal
^GoM! Fond memories of one of the STBC film sync viewings.

I thought we had a “new blu heads up” thread, but I’m not finding it. B&N is having a Criterion 50% off sale this month, and I just picked up the new Godzilla Shōwa era film collection, which has new HD scans and English subs, including the Japanese version of King Kong vs Godzilla. The 8-disc package also looks to feature Mondo-esque individual artist creations for all fifteen films. I don’t love the art at first glance, but I’m not about to miss this. Also grabbed Häxan!
By ScoJo
deafmetal wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:39 am ^GoM! Fond memories of one of the STBC film sync viewings.
You read my mind @deaf dude.

*See appropriate thread...
By inksb
deafmetal wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:39 am ^GoM! Fond memories of one of the STBC film sync viewings.

I thought we had a “new blu heads up” thread, but I’m not finding it. B&N is having a Criterion 50% off sale this month, and I just picked up the new Godzilla Shōwa era film collection, which has new HD scans and English subs, including the Japanese version of King Kong vs Godzilla. The 8-disc package also looks to feature Mondo-esque individual artist creations for all fifteen films. I don’t love the art at first glance, but I’m not about to miss this. Also grabbed Häxan!
I really want that Godzilla set and Haxan, but I don't see the Godzilla set is in the cards for me this sale, hopefully the next one. Just an FYI, some of the scans in the set are the older ones from almost 10 years ago. Criterion couldn't get new scans for some of them from Toho even though they exist. Still awesome to have them all in one place and for $112 right now, that's a steal.
By Bezulsqy
Watched Brian de Palma's Mission Impossible for the first time yesterday. 4K version.
Was a lot of fun for a Sunday matinee screening :-)
I think I am going to watch all the others as well on rainy Sunday afternoons.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:32 am Watched Brian de Palma's Mission Impossible for the first time yesterday. 4K version.
Was a lot of fun for a Sunday matinee screening :-)
I think I am going to watch all the others as well on rainy Sunday afternoons.
It's a really fun series- though god help you with part 2 :-/

I attended a talk with BDP at Edinburgh Film Fest which was amazing, kinda lika a condensed version of the documentary from last year. Great stories.

He talked about what a fucking nightmare it was making M:I and how he would NEVER work with/for Cruise again. Hahaha
By inksb
I had grand plans for this weekend, I was going to try and see The Lighthouse and Parasite but unfortunately my friend decided to rip the roof off of his home and start putting a new one on. This was a great choice for some one who lives in NY in November, 45°F/7°C out. I worked from 9am until 630pm when it was too dark to see. My old ass has not done that much physical labor in a long time. I was tired and knew I couldn't stay awake at the theaters.

But I still managed to watch a few films.

I had pretty low expectations here and it far surpassed them. It's just a fun time all around. The cast is fantastic and it's really fun to see some of the recreations of the Dolemite film. Definitely give this a watch.

I enjoy the My Bloody Valentine remake and Drive Angry so I expected to enjoy this. I didn't. It's a slickly made slasher that did nothing for me. The only redeemable aspect was the 15 minutes of Tom Atkins screen time we got. He's being Tom and I enjoy the hell out of that. If you are bored and looking for something this may be ok but I wouldn't seek it out, there's way better stuff out there to watch.

This was a blast. I had no idea what to expect coming into this, I like most of the films that Travis Stevens has produced but this is his first time directing a feature (and he nails it) and the first time I've seen Phil Brooks (used to be CM Punk in the WWE) act. Phil did a really good job, portrayed the fuck up pretty well and quite believable. The practical effects here are gooey and gross. It's on VOD right now and I highly recommend checking this one out. The poster is horrible but the only other option I could find was one that ruins a character that shows up about 2/3 into the movie so I avoided that.

I think this may be the best Jody Hill, Danny McBride, David Gordon Greene series so far and I really enjoy Eastbound & Down and Vice Principals. Every one here is killing it. I had so much fun watching this series and I hope we get more.

I also just got to episode 6 of AHS and it went all AHS in that episode, mid season big twist more stupid shit than you can shake a stick at. Overall I've been having fun even though their "satan worshipping killer" was terribly miscast, he's the most non threatening presence I've seen in a long time. I'll finish the season which makes it 2 years in a row, bravo Ryan Murphy you held my attention again.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:20 pm This was a blast. I had no idea what to expect coming into this, I like most of the films that Travis Stevens has produced but this is his first time directing a feature (and he nails it) and the first time I've seen Phil Brooks (used to be CM Punk in the WWE) act. Phil did a really good job, portrayed the fuck up pretty well and quite believable. The practical effects here are gooey and gross. It's on VOD right now and I highly recommend checking this one out. The poster is horrible but the only other option I could find was one that ruins a character that shows up about 2/3 into the movie so I avoided that.
I was into this for the first two acts but the last act didn't work for me. I lost interest, and it got away from the director imo, became sluggishly paced rather than tightening the screws. The wrestler guy was ok, pretty stiff tbh, but that actually sortof worked for the character. Nicely shot, interesting choices, good sound- but it didn't add up to memorable experience for this guy. Enjoyed the 'Tenant'-ness of it though! Reminded me of Stuart Gordon's Masters of Horror ep Dreams in the Witch House. But more pretentiously/self-consciously directed ;) I def agree though, worth your time if you get the chance.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:24 pm
inksb wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:20 pm This was a blast. I had no idea what to expect coming into this, I like most of the films that Travis Stevens has produced but this is his first time directing a feature (and he nails it) and the first time I've seen Phil Brooks (used to be CM Punk in the WWE) act. Phil did a really good job, portrayed the fuck up pretty well and quite believable. The practical effects here are gooey and gross. It's on VOD right now and I highly recommend checking this one out. The poster is horrible but the only other option I could find was one that ruins a character that shows up about 2/3 into the movie so I avoided that.
I was into this for the first two acts but the last act didn't work for me. I lost interest, and it got away from the director imo, became sluggishly paced rather than tightening the screws. The wrestler guy was ok, pretty stiff tbh, but that actually sortof worked for the character. Nicely shot, interesting choices, good sound- but it didn't add up to memorable experience for this guy. Enjoyed the 'Tenant'-ness of it though! Reminded me of Stuart Gordon's Masters of Horror ep Dreams in the Witch House. But more pretentiously/self-consciously directed ;) I def agree though, worth your time if you get the chance.
to be honest I wasn't overly thrilled with the choice he made for that third act but I liked how it resolved for the most part and the first 2 acts were good enough to push it above most new stuff I've watched lately. It's not perfect but I really liked it. And yeah Phis is kind of stiff but he pulls off that "trying to be a good person even though I'm truly a piece of shit" thing pretty well and it works for the character because he's trying to be some one he isn't.
By ScoJo
^ Yeah - definitely one of those flicks where you spend a lot of time saying 'don't do that!' to the screen!
By Bezulsqy
a strange Maurizo Merli one but not bad
Giorgio Cristallini 's 1977 (or is it 1978) I gabbiani volano basso a.ka. Seagulls Fly Low
score by Roberto Pregadio

By Chuggers
Has anyone watched any of the Female Prisoner: Scorpion films? Or any of the Kinji Fukasaku/Toei Studio Yakuza movies? I did a deep dive into the SHUDDER catalog last night, didn't realize these were there. Didn't know much about them to begin with. But there's four or five of each series.....which, incidentally is why I come to STBC....more of a behind the scenes lurker/learner but I think that's one of the draws of this site, my opinion anyway. The intricate knowledge and details the 10 or so main users here possess, and share, is at times dizzying and always appreciated.
By inksb
Chuggers wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:35 pm Has anyone watched any of the Female Prisoner: Scorpion films? Or any of the Kinji Fukasaku/Toei Studio Yakuza movies? I did a deep dive into the SHUDDER catalog last night, didn't realize these were there. Didn't know much about them to begin with. But there's four or five of each series.....which, incidentally is why I come to STBC....more of a behind the scenes lurker/learner but I think that's one of the draws of this site, my opinion anyway. The intricate knowledge and details the 10 or so main users here possess, and share, is at times dizzying and always appreciated.
I've watched the first Female Prisoner: Scorpion films and they were pretty great (at least to me they were, they might be off putting to others). I wonder if they are the same scans that Arrow used in their boxset. They were provided with some funky color transfers that are way off of the original film but the company they licensed them from would not provide anything else. And some of the Battles Without Honor films are supposedly pretty good, I haven't delved into them myself yet but they are on the list.

I checked out the first episode of Watchman last night. For a show I had zero interest in, it delivered. It's incredibly well made and the world building was quite impressive in just an hour. I look forward to checking out more of it.
By deafmetal
No luck for me on catching The Lighthouse this last weekend, but my family watched the first episode of His Dark Materials last night. I am the only one that has read the books, but they are all familiar with The Golden Compass film (which the kid is a fan of). I felt it was a great start, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they are going to pace the material (book per season or less?). Also, the CGI daemons are much improved over the film version, which also helps.
By ScoJo
IMG_1198.JPG
IMG_1198.JPG (410.96 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
I'm personally quite a fan of this pretty weird, twisted flick. One of the better Stephen King movies of the last couple decades for me, rewatched many times.

And... would really love me that great Philip Glass score. Please.
By inksb

Had the urge to rewatch last night. It's been a while and it put a smile on my face.
By ScoJo
IMG_1205.JPG
IMG_1205.JPG (460.51 KiB) Viewed 2364 times

Holy shit. I had forgotten that Jurgen Prochnow, Michael Biehn AND John Heard are in this!

(oh... and Dick Tremayne! ;)
By Bezulsqy
Watched Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs on Friday. Absolutely loved it! And need to get that score.

Just now finished Mission Impossible II. Not the best :-) Is the rest of the series better? I did like the fist one.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:00 pm Watched Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs on Friday. Absolutely loved it! And need to get that score.

Just now finished Mission Impossible II. Not the best :-) Is the rest of the series better? I did like the fist one.
Ben - Mi:II is the drizzling shits! John Woo on steroids...

They get immeasurably better, starting with JJ Abrams III - probably my favourite of his directed films (not saying a ton, but y'know...) it has a gnarly opening set piece with a genuinely shocking end, introduced the lovely Michelle Monaghan into the series, and has P.S.Hoffman as an all-time great adversary.

And they just kinda keep getting better (bigger, more dangerous for Tom, sillier) as they go on.

Accept the Mission!! :D
By Jimmy_Mike
Saw The Lighthouse today. Definitely worth seeing, but I preferred The Vvitch. You Lovecraft fans will be tickled.