A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
I think Larry lives down by my old office, i've seen him walking by multiple times and had a chance to talk with him once at a screening of Habit at the Alamo near me. there's something about his films that i really like and am very much looking forward to giving this one a watch.
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:53 pm I think Larry lives down by my old office, i've seen him walking by multiple times and had a chance to talk with him once at a screening of Habit at the Alamo near me. there's something about his films that i really like and am very much looking forward to giving this one a watch.
Larry feels like the type of guy that I could sit with a dive bar for hours drinking, not saying much but having a hell of a time. And I love Habit. Both that film and The Addiction are two of the best "modern" vampire films (although they are not really considered modern anymore are they?)
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:56 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:53 pm I think Larry lives down by my old office, i've seen him walking by multiple times and had a chance to talk with him once at a screening of Habit at the Alamo near me. there's something about his films that i really like and am very much looking forward to giving this one a watch.
Larry feels like the type of guy that I could sit with a dive bar for hours drinking, not saying much but having a hell of a time. And I love Habit. Both that film and The Addiction are two of the best "modern" vampire films (although they are not really considered modern anymore are they?)
He’s was great, super open and enthusiastic with fans and just super easy to talk to.
By Bezulsqy
Took some time to get into but in the end a really good movie starring a fantastic Giuliano Gemma and Claudia Cardinale.

Pasquale Squitieri's 1977 Il prefetto di ferro
Brilliant score by Ennio Morricone

By maxlevel
Between Two Ferns movie is hilarious ‘recovering from a stupid long week/hangover’ film. It’s what the David Brent movie should have been and it’s Will Ferrells best role in years
By inksb
I thought the Between Two Ferns segments in the movie were great, the story in between was kind of blah. Will Ferrell was the highlight of the non interview stuff.
By maxlevel
inksb wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:20 pm I thought the Between Two Ferns segments in the movie were great, the story in between was kind of blah. Will Ferrell was the highlight of the non interview stuff.
I think the trumpet scene was the best scene. Totally sends up all those cheesy storylines, but in such a low key way; it’s never more than a sketch show strung into a storyline somehow. It’s nicely done
By Bezulsqy
Mario Bava's 1974 Cani arrabbiati a.k.a. Rabid Dogs a.k.a. Kidnapped
score by Stelvio Cipriani

By Hatter313
Saw a live table reading of Plan 9 last night with Dana Gould, Bobcat Goldhwait, Scott adsit, Frank Coniff, John hodgeman, etc, and JEFFEREY COMBS doing Eros, It was hands down one of the most fun nights I’ve ever had. If this ever goes on tour in any way i highly recommend, it’s a real treat.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:33 pm Saw a live table reading of Plan 9 last night with Dana Gould, Bobcat Goldhwait, Scott adsit, Frank Coniff, John hodgeman, etc, and JEFFEREY COMBS doing Eros, It was hands down one of the most fun nights I’ve ever had. If this ever goes on tour in any way i highly recommend, it’s a real treat.
Good lord that sounds amazing!
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:33 pm Saw a live table reading of Plan 9 last night with Dana Gould, Bobcat Goldhwait, Scott adsit, Frank Coniff, John hodgeman, etc, and JEFFEREY COMBS doing Eros, It was hands down one of the most fun nights I’ve ever had. If this ever goes on tour in any way i highly recommend, it’s a real treat.
That sounds incredible. Jeff Combs is a powerhouse that rarely get's his due. I really wish I could see his Nevermore show :(
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:24 pm
That sounds incredible. Jeff Combs is a powerhouse that rarely get's his due. I really wish I could see his Nevermore show :(
Get in your car right now and drive down to sleepy hollow, should take you about 4 hours haha, it’s playing tonight at 7 at the artery town music hall.
By maxlevel
Was pointed toward a 30 minute interview with Kubrick’s assistant Tony Frewin, who apparently lived round the corner from me but 30 years ago. He talks about the Kubrick impersonator who lived on the same street, and now I’m aware of the film Colour Me Kubrick starring John Malkovic which is on the next up list. This is a bbc link so not sure if US people can hear it, but it’s pretty good https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000937c
By ScoJo
maxlevel wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:54 am Was pointed toward a 30 minute interview with Kubrick’s assistant Tony Frewin, who apparently lived round the corner from me but 30 years ago. He talks about the Kubrick impersonator who lived on the same street, and now I’m aware of the film Colour Me Kubrick starring John Malkovic which is on the next up list. This is a bbc link so not sure if US people can hear it, but it’s pretty good https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000937c
The film is pretty good. The story is better.
By maxlevel
@scojo it’s weird but I was obsessed with Kubrick at that time, was studying (ahem) film A level up the road and grew up the other side of the Kodak factory. And yet no fucker told me about this story
By Dollarhyde
Adieu Galaxy Express 999
Sequel to the leiji Matsumoto classic Galaxy Express 999. A touch more mature than the first and I assume a bigger budget resulting in some classier artwork.
The journey the protagonist takes is a real hard road, particularly at the beginning. Starts of a little slow but the action and spectacle ramps up as the film progresses.
I would say watching part one is kind of essential to get what is going on.

If you are in to the human/robot sci fi genre, do androids dream of electric sheep etc.. I really recommend the series.

Some Osamu Shoji bumpin in the background of this Japanese trailer
By ScoJo
So friggin good. I had a genuine case of the blues after the final ep closed out, upon the realisation that I had another 2YEAR wait in all likelihood before the next chapter.
By ScoJo
Luz (2019, Austria dir. Tilman Singer)

Just...wow.

A 'possession' horror (?), just over an hour long. First time filmmaker shot it on 16mm cinemscope as a graduation film project. The festival buzz was all about 'Argento' but don't be misled- this is hardcore austere Austrian art horror/weirdness like we've come to expect from that country, Haneke etc. I loved it, even when I was 'whathefuck??'-ing out loud!

Strongly recommended if you have a taste for very minimalist but beautifully done mood piece, that will get right under your skin. The sound design is incredible.
By inksb
I've been slacking on my posting.

Death by dildo. I was sold in the first 5 minutes of the film. Minimal score but what's there is pretty good.

A classic. It's been a few years since I've revisited it and it's still one of my favorites.

More Larry. This is one I actually hadn't seen before and it was quite good.
By Bezulsqy
Enigma Rosso! I have that on my list for years... Will check it out soon! And that locandina is on my wish list.
By Hatter313
love Wendigo, GREAT score, avail on itunes thankfully.
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:51 pm love Wendigo, GREAT score, avail on itunes thankfully.
I did not know that, I'll be checking it out later. It was quite fitting to the film.