Talk about ( & to) record labels here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Dollarhyde
inksb wrote:I used to have the DVD's of Berserk but I think my brother took them and they are lost to a storage unit out in Colorado somewhere. I have volumes 1-37 of the manga, I think there are 39 now. I'll upload some shortly, the 37 volumes total 8gb so it may take a little while.
:0 8gb wow that would be awesome inksb! Hit me a pm.
By reddye6
Subscription announcement is this Monday, so sayeth Tiger Lab Facebooks.
By inksb
I saw that the Sub is coming monday. He mentioned on IG that we will have a month to sign up for it I believe. For those that like to rock t-shirts of your favorite labels head over to holymountainprinting.com to pick up a Tiger Lab t-shirt. I'm going to hold to see if one is included in the Sub.
By inksb
Sub is available. It's a little higher than I hoped but I grabbed it.

http://tigerlabvinyl.bigcartel.com/prod ... ption-2019
Welcome to the new era of Tiger Lab Vinyl!

We are kicking-off with the launch of our 2019 subscription package.
Each of the five titles in the subscription service will contain an exclusive subber’s only variant, with alternate silk screened cover art courtesy of our new partners, Holy Mountain Printing.
In addition to the records, all subbers will receive a free cassette version of a classic TLV release with alternate artwork, a TLV slipmat, and a special subber’s only t-shirt from Holy Mountain Printing.

The first title in the subscription will be the score to 90’s staple, BERSERK, composed by the one and only Susumu Hirasawa. Subbers will receive the exclusive limited “Guts Burst” variant.

Each title will be available separately in standard editions once the subscription registration period closes at the end of March.

US customers: $199 plus $30 for shipping
International customers: $199 plus $70 for shipping

TLV 2019 SUB contains the following:

Berserk OST on subbers only “Guts Burst” vinyl.
TLV07
TLV08 (2xLP with gatefold packaging)
TLV09
TLV10

Cassette tape of a classic TLV title with new artwork
Holy Mountain Printing subbers’ only exclusive t-shirt
TLV slipmat
PS I hate slip mats. I would gladly not have them at all.
By deafmetal
@inks - agreed about the slipmat, but I did like the new shirt design. I would have preferred about $150 total (~$30/title), but I'll let it slide as I enjoy the silk-screened covers from Holy Mountain Printing. This will be the only subscription for me this year. I wonder if they are doing tape releases for the whole catalog?
By Dollarhyde
Just grabbed the sub too. The pricing is pretty much what I thought it would be.

Guessing the tape will be 'Perfect Blue'. I'm not familiar with holy mountains screen printing work curious to see what they do with the different sub variety covers.
Do they create their own artwork?

Also super curious what other releases are in the sub. Berserk was a very nice surprise for me.

As to slipmats I now use a cork mat all the time. The fabric can be ok for while but once they catch some dust/dirt they are no good I find.
By inksb
@dollar Holy Mountain do a ton of heavy metal shirts, some fun movie shirts and they have started doing Kaiju and anime shirts recently. Their shirts are super cheap compared to other companies out there, the reason for that is they use Gildan shirts which are garbage, rough and stiff but I buy a few shirts from them every now and then, I can't really afford to buy Cavity Colors/Fright Rags $30 shirts plus shipping often due to the price (and I'd rather have more records).

TLV stated the releases will span old, 90's and modern anime, I'm curious by what they mean by modern. Pretty much just says anything is in the cards. I think the Perfect Blue cassette is a good guess. I already have all of their LPs so it's not really going to be listened to but a nice addition to the collection.

@dollar I recently grabbed this Macross shirt from Holy Mountain. Except mine is long sleeve and has Japanese writing down each arm in red ink. it's actually the most comfortable shirt I've bought from them.
Attachments
macross.PNG
macross.PNG (379.89 KiB) Viewed 5521 times
By maxlevel
Looks spectacular! Absolutely the wrong time of year for me but I may pick up some items non sub in summer
By deafmetal
I am not sure if Holy Mountain creates their own artwork or if they work with other artists and label owners, etc. I have a couple of Godzilla OST's from Cheddar Brothers that have HM silk-screened prints as the cover art.
By inksb
I'm assume Holy Mountain is a combo of both for artwork. I think some are done in house and others are from external artists. I do not know honestly but that was my assumption on how they worked. I could be wrong and they make none of their own artwork.
By Bezulsqy
I am waiting till the end of March to decide if I will get this.
$40 for each release with only one 2LP seems a bit steep. Getting the releases individually is probably the more economic option. And no ton of extra's are included.
That said Tiger Lab is a label that deserves a lot of praise and love for what they are releasing. It is a very sympathetic label that paying a premium is not a huge problem.
Also I love a subscription service :-)
By inksb
If you break down the sub with their current pricing structure for releases it plays out like this.

Single LP $25 + $7 shipping (which is what TLV charge from their site) = $32 x4 = $128
Double LP gatefold $32 +$7 shipping - $39
Cassette $10 + $5 shipping (rough estimate based on other labels) = $15
Slip Mat $15 + $5 shipping = $20
Holy Mountain Tshirt $15 + $6 shipping = $21

Total = $223

The bundle isn't really getting you a deal at all, just special sub specific variants and artwork. Seeing as this is just based on previous prices and average market cost from similar labels on other things. One thing not taken into consideration is TVL may have brokered a new licensing deal and the cost of these OST's are going up, single LPs could be $30 a piece and doubles closer to $35-$40 all before shipping. I'm not trying to sell anyone here, just how I broke it down in my brain to justify spending all that money yesterday :)
By Dollarhyde
Also it should be noted each sub releases variant cover most labels would sell at extra cost typically, right? Like $10-$15 more.

I think joining a sub is often more about being a fan and wanting to support a label rather than getting value for money, although I guess, in these times, incentives are appreciated.

As to Holy mountain I see some of their previous kaiju and anime printwork are straight copies of original poster artwork, considering those cheddar bros releases I'm guessing they aren't licensed.
The thought of having original artwork used for the screen printed covers excites me but I imagine there would have to be some form of alteration of the original artwork, to do a hand screen print.
I remember tigerlab previously stated there were restrictions on using artwork from the source material.

Secondly the thought of somebody reimagining Satoshi Kon's artwork, for example, would have me a bit worried.
Will still go in with an open mind either way though :)
By Dick_Tremayne
I bit the bullet and subscribed. I love what these guys do and am happy to help support the label.
By NathanLurker
The international shipping and exchange rate is not good enough for me in this case, it would cost me even more per title than Waxwork did. I won't sub but I'll keep picking up their releases. I'm looking forward to the BERSERK release, although I saw a comment from Tiger Lab saying there are no vocal tracks included, so no ''Forces'' :S
By reddye6
Tiger Lab announced the second title in the 2019 subscription: Elfen Lied. Info on Crunchyroll.

I don't know this title. Anyone have thoughts about the score?
By Dollarhyde
I've only seen it available on netflix, not actually watched it. I really haven't a clue with more contemporary anime.

Have just checked the score on YouTube it sounds very nice indeed. Thank you tigerlab for giving me what I didn't know I needed ;)

https://youtu.be/bBjg4Lp2Mho

My current guess on the other three as yet unannounced

Golgo 13
FOTNS
Crying Freeman/Angel Cop/Angels egg/

However the way it's gone so far I'm probably way off
By deafmetal
I am also unfamiliar with Elfen Lied.

Dollarhyde wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:31 pm My current guess on the other three as yet unannounced

Golgo 13
FOTNS
Crying Freeman/Angel Cop/Angels egg/

However the way it's gone so far I'm probably way off
@dollar - is that based on the distorted artwork teaser? I thought one of those panels looked like Golgo 13.
By Dollarhyde
@deaf

Partly, although the panel I thought was Golgo was elfen lied :) however, Golgo matches up with the title that could be a 36 year old classic, I think.
They mentioned one title being a favourite of TGs of the DFC and I remember Tony reminiscing about Crying Freeman, I checked some clips and what I heard could fit Tigerlab's rosta. It's also a late 80's cult classic.

The second panel kind of looks like a giant fist, also Tigerlab had posted FOTNS stuff before (nothing about releasing anything) but they did comment they had managed to secure I very big anime.

Angel cop and angel's Egg are two titles I felt fitted the label.
By inksb
I have never seen or heard Elfen Lied either. I found the whole series on reddit so I downloaded and will be watching it once I finish up Neon Genesis Evangelion. I was hoping one of the releases was Eva but I doubt it. I think Dollar is onto something with Golgo 13, it seems to be one of the major releases from that year. I'd be very happy with Crying Freeman, I'm currently almost done with that show/ova (?) and would not mind having the soundtrack. FOTNS would be awesome. The sound clips in the recent Berserk video have me quite excited.
By Jimmy_Mike
Ink, deaf and others - what’s the skinny on this new TL release? Run or walk?
By Jimmy_Mike
And I see now that you fine gents have already addressed this release. My apologies.
By texasvinyl
Is anyone thirsting for early Tiger Lab stuff ? I had the first subscription so I have those variants and I believe a test pressing of Devil Man