Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By deafmetal
Thank you, @static, and special thanks to @dollarhyde for some of these:

ImageKuroi Shigeru & Aoyama Shiori ‎– 魔界行 (Makai) original music [1986 Futureland Japan LB28-5024]

This one slays — somewhere between downtempo ambient and psychedelic funk, with some shredding riffs sneaking around in the background. Nice and moody.
By Hatter313
PSA,I want that wicked city and that mad max. Good day.
By inksb
deafmetal wrote:Thank you, @static, and special thanks to @dollarhyde for some of these:

ImageKuroi Shigeru & Aoyama Shiori ‎– 魔界行 (Makai) original music [1986 Futureland Japan LB28-5024]

This one slays — somewhere between downtempo ambient and psychedelic funk, with some shredding riffs sneaking around in the background. Nice and moody.
I want to hear this. I immediately went to discogs and it's $200. Can't find it on youtube. It looks awesome.

I wish Tiger Lab's version of Wicked City had that artwork. It's so iconic and I'm honestly not a big fan of what they chose for that cover. It's the only one of their releases where I don't like the artwork.
By ScoJo
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 2585 times
Really enjoying this DW reissue. Here are some thoughts for anyone sitting fence-wise on this one., hope they're helpful:

- The pressing is superb, minimal surface noise and nice punchy cut. There's a lot of music squeezed onto this LP but it doesn't appear to suffer for it. One note: the last track on the LP, 'Buio Omega (Film Version)' is noticeably less hi-fi than the rest of the album and includes the odd sound effect - it's been lifted from a print of the film for sure. It has inherent distortion and is quieter, and therefore seems a wise choice for final track on a bulging side at 33rpm. I'll need to check against my AMS to see if this is a new addition.

- Regarding the extra 17 tracks, they are mostly very short bits of underscore and some variations of the main themes. I dig it, very cohesive listen. When the incidental tracks are by Goblin, I'm always going to be inherently interested I guess.

- Ortiz' artwork throughout the sleeve is damned nice, particularly like the gatefold inner.

I have the previous AMS reissue from 2013 and must say I'm very happy to add this expansion to my bulging Goblin section.
Are the additional, previously unheard 'stinger' tracks essential? And the multiple iterations of the main theme? Possibly not, though I do find it all works really well as sequenced here (very different run order from the AMS release...)

*EDIT*
Did a quick compare of the main title track on both versions, and there is negligible difference to my ears - both volume and dynamics are very similar if not identical. Perhaps DW used the same vinyl mastering as AMS (for the 'album' tracks at least), which would make sense since they worked so closely with them on the release.
By Bezulsqy
Thanks @ScoJo for your review. This is on my to buy list. I still haven't got any version of this score. Nor have I seen the movie. This is the version for me to buy.
By ScoJo
@Bez- you owe yourself a watch of this film, though you may well need a shower/Disney film afterwards! (and tbh, I caution against an attempt to watch with one's fairer companion perhaps!)

Another fun comparison between the two releases on that note- the DW is a classy, glossy, stylish package all round, with Ortiz style making you think this is some kind of art flick.
On the other hand, AMS make no attempt to hide the grotty, upsetting nature of the proceedings, with the inner gatefold chock full of @Red Goblin's gore-soaked lobby cards!!
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote:@Bez- you owe yourself a watch of this film, though you may well need a shower/Disney film afterwards! (and tbh, I caution against an attempt to watch with one's fairer companion perhaps!)

Another fun comparison between the two releases on that note- the DW is a classy, glossy, stylish package all round, with Ortiz style making you think this is some kind of art flick.
On the other hand, AMS make no attempt to hide the grotty, upsetting nature of the proceedings, with the inner gatefold chock full of @Red Goblin's gore-soaked lobby cards!!
So you are telling me to get the AMS version as well...
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote:
ScoJo wrote:@Bez- you owe yourself a watch of this film, though you may well need a shower/Disney film afterwards! (and tbh, I caution against an attempt to watch with one's fairer companion perhaps!)

So you are telling me to get the AMS version as well...
Eek!
By deafmetal
ScoJo wrote:I have the previous AMS reissue from 2013 and must say I'm very happy to add this expansion to my bulging Goblin section.
@ScoJo - I believe the AMS album was the first release on vinyl for the Goblin score. Cinevox had released it on CD in the late 90's. I absolutely love the score, and the film is as the kids say... bru-tal.
By deafmetal
inksb wrote:
deafmetal wrote:Thank you, @static, and special thanks to @dollarhyde for some of these:

I want to hear this. I immediately went to discogs and it's $200. Can't find it on youtube. It looks awesome.
@inks - I might still have a rip of this from @dollar. If not, I'll grab a new one for you to chew on.

The inspiration for the album is Hideyuki Kikuchi's Makai novel. He is the same author that wrote all the Vampire Hunter D novels. I recommend all of the above. Both of the VHD films are based on his original books, and Dark Horse has done an excellent job on their English translations of those.

ps - don't pay the discogs median for this one... it's way too high imo.
By inksb
@deaf, thanks I would really appreciate a rip if you have it kicking around, if not I bet @dollar still has it and would share it with me. I have the first VHD novel but for some reason it's still sitting in the "to read" pile (it's been there for well over a decade, although to be fair it spent a good 7 years in storage forgotten). I'll check out Makai as well.
By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote:
inksb wrote:

@inks - I might still have a rip of this from @dollar. If not, I'll grab a new one for you to chew on.

The inspiration for the album is Hideyuki Kikuchi's Makai novel. He is the same author that wrote all the Vampire Hunter D novels. I recommend all of the above. Both of the VHD films are based on his original books, and Dark Horse has done an excellent job on their English translations of those.

ps - don't pay the discogs median for this one... it's way too high imo.
Uh...so that song rules.
By Mateo Sanboval
Bless their pointed head, Ben's heart is in the right place, but, my goodness, does it take ages for things to ship. What's the longest anyone has ever waited for a 2HD release? For an in stock release, mine is just shy of four months.
By deafmetal
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Bless their pointed head, Ben's heart is in the right place, but, my goodness, does it take ages for things to ship. What's the longest anyone has ever waited for a 2HD release? For an in stock release, mine is just shy of four months.
Speak of the devil, I just today received two orders that I had placed in April and June of last year. That is def my longest wait for 2HD preorders, but it thankfully includes my copy of LARVA's La Jetée! ;)
By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Bless their pointed head, Ben's heart is in the right place, but, my goodness, does it take ages for things to ship. What's the longest anyone has ever waited for a 2HD release? For an in stock release, mine is just shy of four months.
Speak of the devil, I just today received two orders that I had placed in April and June of last year. That is def my longest wait for 2HD preorders, but it thankfully includes my copy of LARVA's La Jetée! ;)
Now that is a solid chunk of time. I've waited over a year for a convoluted transaction to be fully concluded, but that involved a preorder that never was, a lesser replacement never received, a refund never issued, a credit that was finally applied, and fianlly an item that never shipped. Could happen to anybody, really.
By inksb
I ordered Frizzi's live rescore to The Beyond on CD back in August. I contact Ben about once a month to find out what the hell is going on. Apparently the guy who runs the label he's sourcing it from tours with Frizzi so he only ships when he's home apparently. I would have appreciated it if Ben put a warning "this may take 6 months to source" on the page, instead of saying it's in stock. My last email was around if he was actually going to get it, he said he's not sure, then I asked if he actually had stock on Laurie Spiegel's The Expanding Universe 3LP set, which his site said in stock. He responded it must have been delayed and he didn't actually have it yet. Then he said he'd look into for me and that was it. Nothing back for a couple of weeks. My only assumption is that it's not his only job and he just does it in his free time.
By Dollarhyde
deafmetal wrote:Excellent mail day over here:

ImageOsamu Shoji - Horror Music Show [1987 Columbia Japan YF-7126]

Synth covers of horror themes by Osamu Shoji. @monster sent me info about this album a few years ago, and I have been searching for it ever since. Disco funk Goblin/Simonetti tracks, including an epic synth flute(?) solo on Phenomena, and full orchestral synthesis elsewhere, along with a wicked cover of the NoES theme. A very enjoyable album, but quite rare. Shoji-san was also involved in the ‘79 Halloween OST re-recording for Columbia Japan. The artwork by Yasushi Nirasawa is a nice bonus:

Send me a dm if you want a rip:

!!! Nice! You finally scored a copy please DM me a rip @deaf !

Thanks for kind words a few posts up fellas :)
Been falling behind on my STBCism ;)

@inks I don't have a full rip of that LP unfortunately, but your request inspired my to upload a little synth based anime OST comp I throw together a while ago. I had wanted to re record the mix as the volumes are a bit high in places and a new needle may have improved the sound (I'm always too self critical with these things :P)

Anyhoo please have a listen if you want.
I will try and stick some kind of tracklist up at some point but please holla if you want to know what a particular track is.
Skip to 06:30 for two tracks from that Makai LP.

https://soundcloud.com/oblong/anime-synth-selection

Also got a batch of doubles to hook folks up with ;) hopefully popping up in the for sale thread sometime soon!