Post about your favourite artists here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
Oh boo... we lost Richard Corben.(And I just posted his Spookies poster here the other day) Im a huge fan of his whole career, from the Eerie and Creepy work through his stuff with Jan Strnad (inc the incredible Mutant World), his film poster/illustration work, and even his crazy-creative no budget passion project (shot on video and super8) DARK PLANET. But mostly for me it's his Poe story adaptations - they are some of the best out there, and his USHER is a true masterpiece. More recently his adaptation of Willam Hope Hodgson's classic horror/fantasy tale HOUSE ON THE BORDERLANDS blew me away, and showed his talent was undimmed.
Gonna miss that eye, and vivid imagination.
By NathanLurker
I discovered him when I went through a post-apocalyptic movie phase when I watched ''A Boy and his Dog'', which is adapted from his comic ''Vic and Blood''. His weird fiction and style is great, it makes a lot of sense to have him do Poe. I have a few of those comics myself, as well as a compilation harcover book of his Creepy and Eerie material.
By ScoJo
NathanLurker wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:55 am I discovered him when I went through a post-apocalyptic movie phase when I watched ''A Boy and his Dog'', which is adapted from his comic ''Vic and Blood''. His weird fiction and style is great, it makes a lot of sense to have him do Poe. I have a few of those comics myself, as well as a compilation harcover book of his Creepy and Eerie material.
I love A Boy and his Dog. The film was adapted from the Ellison short stories, though - Corben's (fantastic!) adaptation came later. The original comics were my introduction to his unique style, instantly dug it. Those Eerie/Creepy collections are essential bookends for any respectable horror/comic freak ;)
By ScoJo
texasvinyl wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:47 pm Heavy metal! Must have been a rad dude
A very private one by all accounts. Moebius thought he was the tops, so that definitely gets you an abundance of 'rad' points
By Hatter313
Ive been looking for Dark Planet for years ever since seeing stills in something years ago, always had trouble finding it. a great and unique artist.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:04 pm Ive been looking for Dark Planet for years ever since seeing stills in something years ago, always had trouble finding it. a great and unique artist.
I can send you a VHS rip if you're interested H-man, though I understand if it's an OG tape that you're really after. That's a sweet tape - Corben said that the edition of 2000 tapes, sold mostly through magazine ads, were all snapped up within three months!

When I finally got this film I was wigged out to find that Bruce Jones was involved/stars in it! His Twisted Tales anthology horror comic on Eclipse was a huge thing for me as a teen, I discovered them even before getting into the EC stuff which inspired it. Corben did some beautiful covers/art on a few of those issues.
The-Dark-Planet-1989-videocover-low.jpg
The-Dark-Planet-1989-videocover-low.jpg (1015.37 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:39 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:04 pm Ive been looking for Dark Planet for years ever since seeing stills in something years ago, always had trouble finding it. a great and unique artist.
I can send you a VHS rip if you're interested H-man, though I understand if it's an OG tape that you're really after. That's a sweet tape - Corben said that the edition of 2000 tapes, sold mostly through magazine ads, were all snapped up within three months!

When I finally got this film I was wigged out to find that Bruce Jones was involved/stars in it! His Twisted Tales anthology horror comic on Eclipse was a huge thing for me as a teen, I discovered them even before getting into the EC stuff which inspired it. Corben did some beautiful covers/art on a few of those issues.

Hell yeah man! that would be great.

yeah I just want to SEE it, i can worry about adding it my "things to collect one day" pile after that haha.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:12 pm
ScoJo wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:39 pm

Hell yeah man! that would be great.

yeah I just want to SEE it, i can worry about adding it my "things to collect one day" pile after that haha.
I got you
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:22 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:12 pm Hell yeah man! that would be great.

I got you
I take that too ;)