Post about your favourite artists here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By EvanCampbell
Some while in progress shots of little water clay mummy/corpsie sculpture.
Once the clay gets a little firmer I can tighten up everything.
Looking at these pics I need to thin it out a bit more in certain areas.
lMummy 1.jpg
lMummy 1.jpg (151.76 KiB) Viewed 7126 times
I like the look I am started to get at the top of the head ...like an old wrinkled bag. :)
lMummy 2.jpg
lMummy 2.jpg (142.18 KiB) Viewed 7126 times
By Hatter313
Man I’ve been thinking of starting to sculpt again, been over ten years but I was pretty good back in the day. This looks great man!
By EvanCampbell
Hatter maybe it is just hibernating for awhile. If you enjoyed it at one time it may return again. I know for me on a personal level it comes in ways.
By Hatter313
EvanCampbell wrote:Hatter maybe it is just hibernating for awhile. If you enjoyed it at one time it may return again. I know for me on a personal level it comes in ways.
Yeah man, in high school I was seriously considering going into your line, went a different way ultimately. I’ve always been an artist, and I’m a writer professionally so at least I get to stretch the creative muscles daily, but over everything; painting, sketching, writing etc. sculpting was the only time the vision in my head came flawlessly out into the work.
By EvanCampbell
zom 2.jpg
zom 2.jpg (130.63 KiB) Viewed 6998 times
zom 3.jpg
zom 3.jpg (198.75 KiB) Viewed 6998 times
Spent some more time on this....finalizing the detail.
Stuck some human size teeth in it that are kind of goofy on a half scale head.
I will make appropriate sized choppers when I pour it up in silicone.
Maybe be able to finish this weekend and dump plaster on it.

Hatter...it is strange the path we take. Sometimes it just takes living life to help steer you to a destination.
You are lucky to enjoy what you do and have it be creative.
By Hatter313
That looks great!

Went looking for supplies last weekend actually, apparently all the art supply stores in my neck of the woods are gone, and the idea of dragging the supplies on the train from NYC sounds like something to avoid, so amazon here I come.
By Hatter313
EvanCampbell wrote:monsterworship, Hatter313 - thanks bros!
Hey Evan, sent you a PM on this too, but what kind of clay do you use? all the art supply stores in my area seem to have vanished and i'm having trouble knowing what to get. I don't have kiln access so it would need to be air drying. I used to use an air drying clay that was really great, not too soft and i just put a wet towel around the project in between sessions, but its been so long I can't remember the brand.

Thanks!
By Hatter313
Well, thanks to Evans advice on clay, I got started on this art form again. Figured I’d sit down and see what came up for the first actual since I was 17...this muck-encrusted mockery of man is the result. In honor of the late Bernie Wrightson.
C6F169F0-B62A-4AC9-92E6-5CD4DCF0AE5C.png
C6F169F0-B62A-4AC9-92E6-5CD4DCF0AE5C.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 6796 times
I’d never worked on something so small in scale before, he’s about 7 inches or so. I’ll probably go half size to 3/4 size in the future but it was fun to try and get details at such a small scale.
By ScoJo
@Hatter -

That rules! Very nice... classic Wrightson Swampy. It's cool that you've been inspired to pick up the clay again, look forward to seeing what comes next.
By Hatter313
Thanks guys!

I let him sit over night and did some more texture work this AM, for the first thing I've done in years and on such a small scale i'm really happy with him. I'm waiting on some armature wire to come in so I can do some bigger stuff and practice getting some realistic textures.

I might make a mold of him but I've never done anything like that and I don't know that I really have the space to do it in, but worth exploring.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter, that's grand! I'm currently rereading Moore's iteration of Swampy right now so this feels just right.
By Hatter313
@mateo, thanks dude, I just picked up an omnibus of every issue from house of secrets 92 all the way up to the last issue right before Moore, so I’m doing the same thing myself, I’m planning on trying to track down the full run up through the new 52 stuff from a few year back one day, love me some swamp thing :)
By EvanCampbell
Hatter313 very cool to see you back into sculpting and to have another cohort on this thread.
Looks great and I knew it was Swamp thing before reading the post. Good when you try and copy something, and it looks like it. One time I sculpted a Harvey Keitel bust and everyone who saw it would say "Who is that".

I got a chance to meet Bernie Wrightson...he designed some aliens for a movie I had worked on. Also his son is an effects sculptor who I worked with last cabin fever movie. Talented family :)

Keep posting and if you ever want to mold something I can be helpful with what you might need!
By Hatter313
Thanks man! Appreciate it!
By Bezulsqy
Only wanted to say I love this thread. I have the creativity and skills of a blind donkey so it is cool to see how you guys rock.
By J.R.
Thats awesome, I love it. I'd love to try sculpting again, I even have several boxes of Super Sculpey, but I don't have the patience for it, unfortunately!
By EvanCampbell
J.R. ...Thanks and you are correct patience is the key.

Just a quick update on this corpsie thing.

Finished the other half of the mold.
corpse mold 1.jpg
corpse mold 1.jpg (210.25 KiB) Viewed 6181 times
corpse mold 2.jpg
corpse mold 2.jpg (142.12 KiB) Viewed 6181 times
corpse mold 5.jpg
corpse mold 5.jpg (293.72 KiB) Viewed 6181 times
pop and cleaned it and now ready to pour some skin into the mold.
By Hatter313
Nice!

I had a bit of an armature cracking problem on the last piece, liberal application of slip later i think i was able to salvage it. learning experience for sure. I'll post pics of the finished result soon.

I'm off this week so i'm hoping to get some good days in on the next one.
By EvanCampbell
Mixed up a pot of Gelatin cause it is fast, easy and I had a bunch on hand. Gives you the translucency of silicone but for pennies. I will probably pour another copy in a grey tone.
corpse guy 6.jpg
corpse guy 6.jpg (178.9 KiB) Viewed 6038 times
Pulled straight from the mold...now I need to do some trimming and burning, make eyes and teeth and eventually paint the thing.
crispy dude 500.jpg
crispy dude 500.jpg (115.97 KiB) Viewed 6038 times