Post about your favourite artists here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

Did anybody else try their hand at this insane bloodbath of capitalism? I read some Instagram comments claiming it was all just a bot-fest, but I wonder if it was actually hundreds (if not thousands) of fellow nerd warriors all showing off their extreme keyboard and mouse skills?

I had my sights set on any version of the Drew Struzan original poster art for The Thing, and had my hopes crushed instantly with the red bar of doom (SOLD OUT). I am getting wise to the workings of mondotees.com though, and just when I thought all was lost, the variant print fell out of somebody's checkout ten minutes after the opening bell. Needless to say, I am quite thrilled. Framing budget is already set aside. :)

Any other war stories? Grieve for your losses, or extol your hard-fought victories from the Mondo grid.
I can say for a fact a buddy of mine grabbed a Tyler Stout Star Wars set without the aid of a bot. Assuming they only had 1 set to sell and its the most sought out Mondo print there is, he was extremely lucky.

I myself picked up +1 butthurt and missed everything. Was Hoping to snag a Rhys Cooper Critters, but they didn't have it, so I panicked and tried to cart a Stout Reservoir Dogs and failed. *shrugs*
I tried as well. But after going back and forth for 15 minutes for in the hope that I eventually was able to check out I decided to toss in the towl. I am not to disappointed because my compulsion for buying stuff makes sure I never have too much money and now I have some left to spend on vinyl :-)
And I still need to frame 5 posters, so why buy more... Stupid limited stuff everywhere... Why can't I just let it all be... And now I see the commission thread from the Cult Leader and a Videodrome poster by Kilian Eng...
Time is my friend! Just wait long enough and long live the sold out sign :-)
deafmetal wrote:I had my sights set on any version of the Drew Struzan original poster art for The Thing, and had my hopes crushed instantly with the red bar of doom (SOLD OUT). I am getting wise to the workings of mondotees.com though, and just when I thought all was lost, the variant print fell out of somebody's checkout ten minutes after the opening bell. Needless to say, I am quite thrilled. Framing budget is already set aside. :)
Congrats buddy, nice work! It's truly a classic. (I have a framed, signed French 'Thing' poster on my wall, and it gets a lot of attention from visitors!)
@Cult - Agreed, I have only heard from fellow humans who were quick on the draw and were able to score a print. Your friend obviously hit the jackpot. It is mind-boggling to see 400 different prints sell out that quickly.

@ScoJo - Thanks! I have been after this one for many a moon, and passed on a few overpriced ebay offerings, so it feels great to pick it up for the original asking price. Is the French poster the one that is mostly red design with the black background (La Chose)? I also really like the Japanese poster, which is also on my want list.
I watched from the sidelines (out of wall space and desire to get any more prints), there were some good ones for sure. Surprised to see the star wars sets and even more surprised to hear someone normal got one. Those will look great in frames.

I think Francavilla will sell APs of his Jurassic Park soon if he hasn't yet.
@Scott - Looks killer, and nice personal touch on the signature! The Struzan I picked up will be going next to the Jeremy Wheeler Carpenter print I have, both with hidden glow-in-the-dark ink highlights. X] Still obsessed with glow ink after all these years.

@texas - Can you believe those Tyler Stout Star Wars prints sell for over $1k a pop? Total madness.
Struzan!
I decided to abandon an idea for wide colored matte, and I'm happy with the results. The glow ink on this thing is pretty neat. One of my all-time favorite pieces of poster art. I am glad I was able to score this before I discovered that Struzan was selling his artist proofs directly on his website for ridiculously high prices.
Last edited by deafmetal on Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.