Post about your favourite artists here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By hncreature
Rejected ‘The Shining’ Poster Designs From Saul Bass, With Stanley Kubrick’s Notes

LINK

By freshoj
Great stuff. Personally, I would have selected the family entering the maze (or the maze eye). It always kind of bugged me that I didn't recognize the face in the final design.
yeah i've seen these before, funny how Kubrick reacted to some of the more amazing work Bass did. as as Ad guy, Bass is sort of our biggest legend IMO. such a powerful influence on modern design its not even calculable.
Cool old(ish) thread resurrection. I enjoy and respect Bass and Kubrick in near equal measure, but I have to side with Kubrick here. I never loved the final artwork for the Shining much (the face always bothered me, too), but I also don't particularly care for the rejected designs either. I actually like the topiary fingers emerging 'round the tricycle best, but as Kubrick noted, it doesn't feel intrinsically linked to the film. I am glad that the final title treatment isn't pointillism as it looks a bit washed out in the rejected designs. I think all told, I might like all the rejected art better than the final art, but not enough to quibble especially since the final title is a stronger effort than in any of the rejected designs in my opinion.