Post about your favourite artists here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By oaxaca
Was keen on getting the new Mondo commissioned Bone Tomahawk poster by Matthew Woodson the other day but it must have sold out in seconds! My checking the Mondo website every ten mins was not enough. Boo.
By deafmetal
Yeah, the Bone Tomahawk print looks really nice. I also tried to get one of the variants for The Road, but missed it.
By Mateo Sanboval
Though Bone Tomahawk is a real beauty (just like the film), I had to myself out of buying it. it isn't really my "style" of art if you wil and I know I'd never hang it up on the wall, but that doesn't lessen my appreciation for this peach:

Another killer effort from Jay Shaw on this American Dreamer poster as well:Image
This is more my style of poster though I'm not likely to get away trying to hang Dennis Hopper in the boudoir. Shaw also produced this Triple 9 entry for Mondo's Films of John Hillcoat series recently, but it was a bit too much like Assault on Precinct 13 (which I love) for me to consider buying.
By Little Walter
Hey y'all, my shop's about to start carrying posters for sale. Any advice on how to store and display them cheaply?
By monsterworship
Since they are delicate prints, you wouldn't want customers handling them directly. flipping through a large portfolio would cause creasing and wear.

My suggestion is to make a color print out of each for sale and put those in a smaller size portfolio that people could flip through, and then maybe have a couple quick snap frames on display so that you could swap new styles in and out of quickly.

If you have a lot of prints, a flat file is definitely best for storage, but if space and cost is an issue they make flat file boxes for storing posters that i got from bags unlimited, i use foam core and mylar sleeves on those.

they do make large toploaders, but i don't recommend those for screenprints becuase the ink is prone to scratching.

otherwise they have a good bit of dislay options at different price points:

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-433-prints-poster.aspx
By The Cult Leader
@Deaf if you're still looking to grab The Road variant I would sell you mine for under cost. Shoot me a message if you're interested.
By Little Walter
@monster - Thanks for the detailed advice. It's funny how obvious solutions don't occur to you until you ask. I'm definitely going to print out photos of the prints to display them. For the storage though, to get that straight, you put the posters in mylar sleeves with foam backings . . . and put them in some kind of box? I can't find what box you use.
By monsterworship
https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-8081-fl ... e-box.aspx

any of these boxes , typical posters are 24 x 36 so not sure what other sizes you will have.
i think the dimensions on the boxes above are reverse order.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-85-poly ... ?pagenum=3

you can use one sheet sleeves, just make sure to get matching backer size, then you can put one print on the front and back.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-125-bac ... ?pagenum=5

You wouldn't include the bag/backer with purchase unless they pay extra, so just pull the poster and roll them up.

This also helps to flatten posters out.

these are not intended for archival storage.
By The Cult Leader
Flattening/storage 101:

Once you get a print, un-tube it, carefully unroll it and weight the corners so you can inspect it. DO THIS EVERY TIME YOU GET A TUBE -- don't just leave it in the tube and assume it's mint.

After inspecting, carefully and loosely roll it back up (it'll usually be very easy to let it slowly go back into a roll). Let your prints "relax" in this loose roll state for a while so that they're easier to work with -- how long depends on the paper, ink type, how long it had been rolled in a tube, etc. (1)

After they have relaxed, put a piece of foam core that's larger than the print on all sides on top of a flat surface. Unroll the print on top of the foam core. You can leave the Kraft paper underneath the print if this is only short term flattening, but if it's for long term flat storage, remove the Kraft and only use glassine or tissue in the sandwich.

Put glassine or tissue over the top of the print, then put print weights on top of the tissue/glassine to weigh down each corner of the print. (2)

Place the weights so that they are holding the print down sufficiently but so that the edges of them can be grabbed and removed via sliding from outside the foam core. (3)

Rest a second piece of foam core on top of the weights so that there is a gap in the middle to view the print. (4)

Position yourself so that you are eye level with the gap between the boards and can see the edges of the print where the weights are. (5) & (6)

Pick one weight to start with and slowly pull that weight out from in between the foam core pieces. As You pull the weight out, the top piece of foam core that was resting on the weight will start to lower onto the print. While pulling, you want to make sure that the print isn't moving, the tissue/glassine isn't moving, and that no part of the print is curling or folding under the top piece of foam core -- we don't want to cause creases or damage! (7) & (8)

After the weight has been fully pulled out, keep yourself at eye level with the sandwich and make sure that no part of the print is trapped between the foam core in such a way that would cause damage. The print and its edges should be flat between the two pieces. There should be a small gap still visible since the other weights are holding the remaining 3 corners aloft. If the print looks safely flat, place the weight you just removed on top of the second foam core board in that corner. (9)

Repeat this process with each corner's weight, doing both weights on one dimension before moving to the other dimension (don't go diagonally in other words). (10) & (11)

Once all weights have been removed, feel free to place more weight (such as larger print weights, heavy books, portfolios, etc) on top of the sandwich to sit there for a period of time, close the sandwich with binder clips, or use the top surface of the sandwich as the "bottom" layer of a new flattening layer. (12)

By Little Walter
I obviously came to the right place. This really helps, y'all. We've got quite a few prints now, and storing them is daunting. Fortunately, I already have a wholesale account with Bags Unlimited, so I can just get what I need from one place in the next order. I'll let y'all know how it turns out!
By The Cult Leader
My X-Files print just landed and Tobin absolutely killed it. The lights glow in the dark and really make the characters pop out when you see it person.

Also snagged the Zardoz print from Mondo Yesterday. I tired watching that movie twice and I can't say I enjoyed either time, but this print was just way to cool to pass up.
By deafmetal
@Cult - That X-Files print looks badass. I also really like the Zardoz one. I missed your comment before about the variant for The Road. I will send you a DM.
By Purplemule74
...I was happy to add this bit of decadence to my poster collection:
Attachments
jenny_gets_on_top_poster_01.jpg
jenny_gets_on_top_poster_01.jpg (710.74 KiB) Viewed 7411 times