Post about your favourite artists here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By icyjones
What does everyone do with their Mega Sized Death Waltz Posters? It would cost an arm and a leg to frame them. They are great, but I'm not sure what to do with them.
By BigMeanPunk
I open them up once, then put them back in the jacket. They are cool but since they are folded I wouldn't want to display them.

Now 12x12 lithos and things like that I am going to frame up for display around my turntable!
By chandler75
I don't even open them once. I'm afraid I won't be able to fold them properly afterwards :)
By hncreature
[quote=18384]I open them up once, then put them back in the jacket
[/quote]

Same
By BigMeanPunk
[quote=18386]I don’t even open them once. I’m afraid I won’t be able to fold them properly afterwards [/quote]

Ha! More accurately I "kinda" unfold them. They don't really get fully unfolded, because I want them to stay as flat as possible.
By esteban
I frankly don't even bother to open them. They are simply too large and unpractical. Who really can afford to frame such behemoth-sized posters? And even if you do, who has the space for more than a couple, at the most? In all honesty, I'd rather pay a little less for each DW release and make do without the posters altogether. Or I'd much rather the extra $$$ would go towards better quality inner and outer sleeves/cardboard (what they used for "The Fog" was truly great).
By hncreature
[quote=18419]...Or I’d much rather the extra $$$ would go towards better quality inner and outer sleeves/cardboard...[/quote]

Better...??? - These are the nicest beefiest covers I've ever seen and a poly-lined sleeve is as good as it can get?
By freshoj
I wonder if anyone just unfolds and sticks 'em on the wall with some pushpins - which is what I imagine they are intended for (or at least an homage to).
By icyjones
That is sort of what I want to do in a wall paper sort of way, but I know I'd regret it when they degraded.
By antimax
[quote=18426]I wonder if anyone just unfolds and sticks ‘em on the wall with some pushpins – which is what I imagine they are intended for (or at least an homage to).[/quote]

Was thinking the same... If this was "back in the day", this is what people would do. But everyone's a "collector" now... I haven't hung them, cuz I have too many other posters hanging already!
By Purplemule74
I collect different types of posters, but I haven't been blown away with the art work for DW posters yet. I'm certainly not saying they are bad, just not my taste.

My favorite 'extra' that DW is putting in a number of releases are excellent liner notes from the folks that made these records/recordings. I really enjoy reading about what kind of equipment they used to record, who they worked with, what inspired them, what just 'happened' in the recording studio, what difficulties they had, etc. I hope DW keeps the liner notes coming.
By esteban
hncreature wrote:

"Better…??? – These are the nicest beefiest covers I’ve ever seen and a poly-lined sleeve is as good as it can get?"

But not all are. As I said in my previous post, the one for "The Fog", for example, was exceptional (a shame that the records themselves are unplayable due to excessive surface noise), and the same applies to "New York Ripper". But others, such as "House By The Cemetery", "Zombi", "Twins Of Evil", etc., are simply average.

I second the comments about liner notes. Normally they are well-written and well-researched if they are signed by Fulci authorities such as Stephen Thrower. His are always worth reading. However, a lot of times these liner notes are amateurish at best, typos and grammatical nonsense included. Most of the ones by the visual/graphic artists tend to suffer from the "I actually had never even seen this movie before I was asked to design a cover for it" type of syndrome... In cases like that, I'd rather the notes were omitted altogether.
By chandler75
[quote=18434]However, a lot of times these liner notes are amateurish at best, typos and grammatical nonsense included.[/quote]

I think the number typos have improved, but unfortunately they haven't disappeared altogether. (At one point, I offered to proofread the liner notes (for free), but it looks like Spencer found another resource.)

In the SPM booklet we have "staff-wriiten", and I think a comma would be in order here: "I'll be honest I didn't venture up into the attic and unearth my rusty old airbrush...".

As for the posters, I could also easily do without. I would much rather have more extensive liner notes, maybe 6-8 pages :)
By esteban
[quote=18436]As for the posters, I could also easily do without. I would much rather have more extensive liner notes, maybe 6-8 pages

[/quote]

+1!
By Purplemule74
Agreed about the typos and grammar issues, but I'm still interested on the background of the music.

A cool inclusion for the records would be still photographs included by the musicians that they took during their sessions, with a little write-up on the back about what was going on. You know that Goblin (for instance) is sitting on a bunch of old session pics from when they laid out some of those old tracks.

I'd take that over new poster art!
By Dollarhyde
I have no issue with posters, although ive not hung any but im tempted with bronx warriors.

I would love to see a detailed inner sleeve, like a mini-zine, like how labels in the 70's and 60's advertised all their catalogue. I really miss these old sleeves
By MODAREC
Love the 12" square lithographs but anything bigger just doesn't get used in my house, I haven't got the wall space. As much as i like nearly all of the new covers and artwork, it would be cool to get the originals included somewhere like what Arrow films do with their reversible covers. Both the original Zombie Flesh Eaters Vipco cover and the Graham Humphreys artwork are amazing and would be great as full bleed sleeves.
By esteban
[quote=18480]Love the 12″ square lithographs but anything bigger just doesn’t get used in my house, I haven’t got the wall space. As much as i like nearly all of the new covers and artwork, it would be cool to get the originals included somewhere like what Arrow films do with their reversible covers. Both the original Zombie Flesh Eaters Vipco cover and the Graham Humphreys artwork are amazing and would be great as full bleed sleeves. [/quote]

+ 1,0000

You just can't beat original poster/cover artwork, and I was actually about to post the exact same thing. Arrow films is a great example. They give you a choice. Same with Scream Factory here in the US. In all cases, I always end up preferring the originals. In all candor, and as much as I love what DW does, and God knows they have my admiration, eternal gratitude and hard-earned $$$ for it, I actually hate each and every single cover of theirs so far. Again, there's nothing like the original artwork.
By Purplemule74
For some reason when I was in elementary school, there was one book that I found so aesthetically unpleasing that it would literally make me ill if I looked at it. I felt the bile rising in my throat again as I looked up this image:

I'm happy to say that none of the DW release art has had that same power over me. Although I have to say the Donnie Darko came close.
By deathwaltz
If you have an unplayable record how about dropping us an email so we can sort it out ?

I am kind of shocked that you call our releases 'simply average'

I find that a little insulting if i am honest....

By hncreature
[quote=18434]But others, such as “House By The Cemetery”, “Zombi”, “Twins Of Evil”, etc., are simply average[/quote]

The Fog...being a special release...and New York Ripper was released after the so-called "simply average" ones...meaning DW is making strides to improve the product over time - Ease up...at least they aren't regressing
By Pitch
I think the references to 'simply average' were directed to covers / notes and not the releases as a whole!! And consensus seems to be that everything gets better and better with each development.....

I for one love the concept of the original art for each release. I think it is part of the DW DNA, and seems a bit fundamental in appreciating your releases! It's a bit like complaining that there are too many soundtracks....
By esteban
Deathwaltz, apologies if you misunderstood me. As others have stated, yes, I was referring ONLY to the cardboard sleeves, NOT to the rest of the product, of course! I even mentioned that some titles, like "The Fog" and "New York Ripper", have "exceptional", sturdy outer sleeves. I am grateful for what you guys do, and am a happy customer. In my previous post I wrote "God knows they have my admiration, eternal gratitude and hard-earned $$$ for it". Just ask my local record shop owner. He will be happy to testify that I put my wallet where my mouth is. :)

Having said that, I think that in life there's always a little bit of room for improvement and constructive criticism. In that respect, my biggest gripe continues to be the lack of original artwork, the sub-par (again, WITH NOTABLE EXCEPTIONS) liner notes (it really wouldn't take much at all to proof-read these, and if the artist doesn't even know the film to begin with, do we really want to read his/her thoughts on the subject?) and the posters which (and it seems I am not alone) probably add considerably to the final price tag and are not truly very practical. Now, if these were posters of the original artwork, my opinion would be a different one, but I understand that their inclusion could open the doors to copyright issues, etc.

Finally, and I do realize I am in the minority here, I could easily, happily, thrillingly do without the colored vinyl. Sound quality comes first (and second, and third) in my book, and black vinyl simply sounds better and is less temperamental, not to mention less gimmicky. Do we really need 3 or 4 ever so slightly different variations of the same title? Keeping track of this stuff on Discogs, for example, can be an exercise in frustration! :) The problematic record I mentioned earlier was the "gold" edition of "The Fog". I paid $50 + tax for it here in the US, and it is, plain and simply, unlistenable due to surface noise, etc. On the other hand, the recent "New York Ripper" sounds INCREDIBLE, and almost whisper-quiet. Loved the well-written, intelligent liner notes as well, and would love to see them presented in a similar manner from now on, inside the actual package. It's always a pleasure to read Stephen Thrower's take on Fulci. Congrats on a great job on that one!

To sum up, please know that I LOVE the simple fact that this amazing, life-changing music is available to us through your hard work and dedication. But please do keep our comments, suggestions and concerns in mind, since I think this can only lead to even better products and an overall more satisfying "package".
By chandler75
esteban: You really think the Gold "The Fog" us unlistenable? I think it sounds better that all the other copies - including the black one.

Regarding the colorways, you do know that a black only sub is now being offered?

Otherwise, I agree with your other points. More liner notes, and - as this thread shows - people can do without the posters, especially if it means that Spencer can beef up some other parts of the product.
By chandler75
Regarding the proofreading, it should be said that it's not just DWR who is guilty of many typos and grammatical issues. I just read the "Creepshow" liner notes which had a number of issues as well.

Working as a professional translator and proofreader (though not as an English proofreader, although I think I'm pretty decent at spotting mistakes), I can never understand why companies - large and small - will spend thousands of dollars on developing and promoting their products, but won't spend a few hundred bucks to have their texts proofread by a pro.

In Spencer's case, I'm sure a number of qualified people on this forum would be happy to help out for free.