A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
Woodlands Dark & Days Bewtiched now on Shudder (if you aren't forking out for the bluray release or the Severin 'All the Haunts' boxset...)

Been very much looking forward to this one.
By inksb
Yeah very excited to see that announcement yesterday. They also uploaded a bunch of the films from the boxset, including Eyes of Fire :)
By Hatter313
I’ve been working my way through the box set since Christmas and seriously….it is THE genre release of the year. An unbelievable package from them. I had seen maybe four of the films, heard of maybe two or three more, but everything else is a new experience. The special features in the box set, including a PILE of short films and additional content, is incredible. The doc itself goes into such depth and mentions even more films that I hope Severin considers a second volume, I want more!
By Hatter313
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:23 am I still need to get into folk horror... might go all out next year :-)
Bez, i highly recommend the doc as a starting point if you are gong in blind. its only recently become a more well defined subgenre in film even though the ideas and themes are universal to ALL horror (we always start with "fairy tales", no?). My academic background is as a folklorist and this is a sort of thing that I was struggling to define in school as little as a decade and change ago but the films and books mentioned in the doc were largely the same ones (i was barely scratching the surface though) i would bring up in class when trying to put together this idea of folklores modern survival. to see that idea finally collated and discussed like this is super important to me and i think the documentary is really one of the most important pieces of pop culture analysis in a long time. this is my particular nugget, so forgive my waxing poetic.

short version, DO IT!
By Bezulsqy
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:13 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:23 am I still need to get into folk horror... might go all out next year :-)
Bez, i highly recommend the doc as a starting point if you are gong in blind. its only recently become a more well defined subgenre in film even though the ideas and themes are universal to ALL horror (we always start with "fairy tales", no?). My academic background is as a folklorist and this is a sort of thing that I was struggling to define in school as little as a decade and change ago but the films and books mentioned in the doc were largely the same ones (i was barely scratching the surface though) i would bring up in class when trying to put together this idea of folklores modern survival. to see that idea finally collated and discussed like this is super important to me and i think the documentary is really one of the most important pieces of pop culture analysis in a long time. this is my particular nugget, so forgive my waxing poetic.

short version, DO IT!
Thanks for the nudge :-)
I will get to it! Maybe this autumn.
By Revolver_OcelScott
I still need to start watching my set. Bought it without having seen a single film in the set. Haven't even started the Al Adamson set they released either, not enough time in the day!
By Hatter313
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:55 pm I still need to start watching my set. Bought it without having seen a single film in the set. Haven't even started the Al Adamson set they released either, not enough time in the day!
its wonderful. I'd seen Viy and parts of Celia, and had heard of maybe two of the others, but everything else was a complete surprise. so great.