A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
This year I am going to try and watch (almost) everything De Palma made.

I already watched Murder a la Mod and The Wedding Party during the last week. And Scarface I watched a month ago so I am skipping that one. I cannot find a copy of Dionysus in '69 so I am skipping that one.
That leaves another 24 to go.
And I am not going to do them chronologically.

I see I am still missing Carlito's Way. I am getting a UHD copy for that one. And Mission: Impossible I watched last year as well. But I might rewatch that one.
So at least 25 to go.
Attachments
1C475C02-A864-416B-88EE-FEFAFFEF6514.jpeg
1C475C02-A864-416B-88EE-FEFAFFEF6514.jpeg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 1520 times
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:11 am This year I am going to try and watch (almost) everything De Palma made.

I already watched Murder a la Mod and The Wedding Party during the last week. And Scarface I watched a month ago so I am skipping that one. I cannot find a copy of Dionysus in '69 so I am skipping that one.
That leaves another 24 to go.
And I am not going to do them chronologically.

I see I am still missing Carlito's Way. I am getting a UHD copy for that one. And Mission: Impossible I watched last year as well. But I might rewatch that one.
So at least 25 to go.
Hey B - I can provide you very watchable copies of the early shorts, Woton's Wake, The Responsive Eye and Dionysus in '69.
Drop me aPM. I also have the long BBC conversation he did for Scene by Scene if you're interested. Mark Cousins is annoying but BDP is on good form. The Long documentary DePalma from a couple years back is also fantastic, as is the Noah Baumbach 'Conversation with BDP' video.
By Hatter313
I did this summer of ‘20, it was awesome. There are tremendous highs and some pretty miserable lows later on, but once his style grabs you it’s hard to pull away.

Obviously one of his films in particular really floats my boat (waves at avatar and sig)
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:59 pm Obviously one of his films in particular really floats my boat (waves at avatar and sig)
Wow, interesting - I didn't know that De Palma had directed a cross-dressing Sally Field in a biopic of David Soul?? Very cool!

😂
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:25 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:59 pm Obviously one of his films in particular really floats my boat (waves at avatar and sig)
Wow, interesting - I didn't know that De Palma had directed a cross-dressing Sally Field in a biopic of David Soul?? Very cool!

😂
I will literally never be able to see Williams the same way again bahahhahaahhahahahaha
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:21 pm CW fucks.

Whah hapn to you, Jimmy? You ass used to be beautiful. You loss, motherfocker.
CW > Scarface, I’m not even going to preface this with “hot take” Carlitos way is superb.
By inksb
I don't think I've ever seen Carlito's Way. I hated mob movies as a kid and for most of my 20's. That mentality was only further pushed in my college years because I was surround by a bunch of Long Island/NYC "Italian" kids in college who made me just want to punch every one of them. I don't think I've seen Scarface in 15+ years and while I enjoyed parts of it I remember it being overly long and drawn out. Maybe I should watch Carlito's Way though. I'm not as adverse to mob films as much these days.
By Jimmy_Mike
Hatter313 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:31 pm
ScoJo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:21 pm CW fucks.

Whah hapn to you, Jimmy? You ass used to be beautiful. You loss, motherfocker.
CW > Scarface, I’m not even going to preface this with “hot take” Carlitos way is superb.
My dudes, fear not. I will revisit.
By Bezulsqy
I ended up watching 15 BPM movies I believe... I might try to finish the rest in 2023. However I have a another endeavour lined up. (see new thread)
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:42 pm I ended up watching 15 BPM movies I believe... I might try to finish the rest in 2023. However I have a another endeavour lined up. (see new thread)
BPM? ;-)

Now… RANK THEM SIR. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO.
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:45 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:42 pm I ended up watching 15 BPM movies I believe... I might try to finish the rest in 2023. However I have a another endeavour lined up. (see new thread)
BPM? ;-)

BDP BPM BDSM who knows...
I'll try to add some more this week and will try to rank them.

As I type this another use of split screen is seenn in Femme Fatale. Pretty funny how he uses the same effects over and over.
By Bezulsqy
BPM? ;-)

So I have a confession to make...
I never had seen Blow Out before. Until just now. Is it fair to say it is DePalma's best? From a giallo/horror fan's perspective? I really loved it. Filled with nods to horror and giallo and the love for movie making in general.

I am at 18 BDP for the year and 3 or 4 other ones I have seen years ago. I have around 7 left and then I have seen all his movies.

@ScoJo I cannot make a list :-) There is something to love about all of them. Till 2002. I haven't watched the ones after Femme Fatale.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:42 am
BPM? ;-)

So I have a confession to make...
I never had seen Blow Out before. Until just now. Is it fair to say it is DePalma's best? From a giallo/horror fan's perspective? I really loved it. Filled with nods to horror and giallo and the love for movie making in general.

I am at 18 BDP for the year and 3 or 4 other ones I have seen years ago. I have around 7 left and then I have seen all his movies.

@ScoJo I cannot make a list :-) There is something to love about all of them. Till 2002. I haven't watched the ones after Femme Fatale.
I like Blow Out ;D

After Femme Fatale, things certainly get… patchy. Be interested to know what you think of his last few films. You might want to consider skipping Domino though. Oof.

As for pesky rankings, you’re quite right. On a given day I would say Casualties of War is his best film (not most enjoyable tho!), on another day Body Double ;) They’re all so different and yet distinctly Brian.
By Hatter313
My avatar not withstanding, Blow Out probably wins for me as his best, but I also think he’s got quite a few real masterpieces of style and mood. I tend to put Phantom in a slightly different box as it’s just a movie with a different level of importance to me so I kind of separate it out.

Carrie is still up there, and Carlitos Way is truly a superb price of not just filmmaking but a superb example of “New York” in film, maybe a top 5 for me for getting the city vibe that feels most authentic and the Untouchables is a stone cold classic that I have trouble turning off when I catch it.

Also I think The Black Dahlia deserves a reappraisal. It’s not LA confidential but it captures some of really uncomfortable darkness of Ellroy’s version of LA and has a lot of style.

But honestly, truly, and without reservation. the last shot of Raising Cain is the finest moment of his career. I will not be taking questions.
By inksb
I really need to dive in De Palma again. I've never seen Carlitos Way in full and everyone's praise around here makes me think I'm doing myself a disservice. LA Confidential I haven't seen in so long I can barely remember anything about it.

Clarify for me which version of Raising Cain should I watch? I watched one years ago and thought it was interesting but remember feeling a bit lost. This was probably a late night, inebriated viewing though.

So my mini viewing in the coming weeks will consist of the following

Body Double (not sure I've seen this?)
LA Confidential
Carlito's Way
Raising Cain
Snake Eyes (saw it in the theaters and that was it)
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:15 pm I really need to dive in De Palma again. I've never seen Carlitos Way in full and everyone's praise around here makes me think I'm doing myself a disservice. LA Confidential I haven't seen in so long I can barely remember anything about it.

Clarify for me which version of Raising Cain should I watch? I watched one years ago and thought it was interesting but remember feeling a bit lost. This was probably a late night, inebriated viewing though.

So my mini viewing in the coming weeks will consist of the following

Body Double (not sure I've seen this?)
LA Confidential
Carlito's Way
Raising Cain
Snake Eyes (saw it in the theaters and that was it)
LA Confidential is not Brian DePalma

Snake Eyes I really liked.
Raising Cane: Director's Cut is what you want.
Carlito's Way indeed is terrific!
Body Double is brilliant as well. I couldn't remember ever have seen it, but some parts were familiar.
By ScoJo
I find listing my favourite BDP very difficult, so here are my least favourites/least rewatched instead:

DOMINO
PASSION
REDACTED
BLACK DAHLIA
GREETINGS
HOME MOVIES
HI MOM
BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES
GET TO KNOW YOUR RABBIT
WISE GUYS

Every other work in his filmography is an endless rewatch and delight for me. Looking at the above, I think it’s safe to say that most of them (with possible exception of the early comedy/satires which have their fans) are generally recognised as BDPs misfires. Though there are others which consensus has as bombs which I love (Mission to Mars, Raising Cain, The Fury) for various reasons.