A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
The mind truly boggles at the possibility of John Carpenter's Top Gun.

Also speaking of trivia, I love this 100% purloined beauty from imdb:

IMG_1163.PNG
IMG_1163.PNG (191.38 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
By Bezulsqy
^ that is funny!

I read some stuff about Top Gun and its production on Wikipedia. Some very funny insights to be found. But I am not posting them before others have seen Top Gun.

Well this I can share (most if not all of you probably already knew this):
Tony Scott was hired to direct on the strength of a commercial he had done for Swedish automaker Saab in the early 1980s, where a Saab 900 turbo is shown racing a Saab 37 Viggen fighter jet.
By static14
I’m behind everyone else. Just watched The Hunger this morning.

Truly excellent sound design. Maybe more so than any other film he ever made.
By Mateo Sanboval
That's a great commercial, Bez. Thanks for digging it up. An 88 Saab 900 was my first car. Fun to drive.
By Hatter313
The 4k remaster of Top Gun is not only stunning, it is reaffirming of why this move is so iconic of its genre and its decade. Also that cast is stacked as hell.
By Bezulsqy
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:17 pm That's a great commercial, Bez. Thanks for digging it up. An 88 Saab 900 was my first car. Fun to drive.
It is a great car.

And another fun tidbit:
During filming, director Tony Scott wanted to shoot aircraft landing and taking off, back-lit by the sun. During one particular filming sequence, the ship's commanding officer changed the ship's course, thus changing the light. When Scott asked if they could continue on their previous course and speed, he was informed by the commander that it cost US$25,000 (equivalent to $59,000 today) to turn the ship, and to continue on course. Scott wrote the carrier's captain a US$25,000 check so that the ship could be turned and he could continue shooting for another five minutes.
By Bezulsqy
Are we doing one TS a week? I am ready for more :-)
I'll also watch Beverly Hills Cop 1 and 3. And The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974). Did TS do other re-makes or sequels?

By inksb
I started Top Gun saturday night but ended up having to shut if off after 15 minutes to take care of something and didn't return. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I'll finish it. Val Kilmber's hair is something else in this lol.
By inksb
Top Gun has been watched. I was honestly amazed by how much of it I remembered. Like I said I've seen the movie in bits and parts over the years but never in one go. I think a lot of the songs are so engrained in my brain as being tied to this movie that they have no other reference in my head. I'm gonna be a bit of a naysayer here and express how I actually feel about this film, I just don't like it. Tom Cruise is an irritating little brat and that's how I've always seen him here, still stands true. Movie has some great scenes and is held in high regard for a reason but I just never really cared for it. Also it's always interesting watching a film that you grew up with where the characters are older than you but when you return to it years later, you are much older than the main characters in the film and they all look like babies.

What's next?
By CrossedPete
Finally watched The Hunger. What can I say that hasn’t already been said. It was great from the opening sequence to the final shot of Sarah on the balcony, the movie was terrific. The cinematography is just beautiful throughout the film. It was mentioned earlier but this movie does totally feel more like Ridley Scott movie. It did leave me a little puzzled at the end but I really loved the last 20-30 minutes of the movie so sometimes it’s better not to think too hard about it and enjoy it for what it is.

One of my earliest movies I can ever remember watching at a very young age was Labyrinth so to me Bowie was someone I thought of more of an actor it wasn’t till I was a bit older I realized he was a huge famous musician. It’s funny I feel I can relate a little to his character. I’m in my thirties and sometimes I’ll run my fingers through my hair and I’ll notice some of my hair in my hands. Haha. Now I’m not that desperate to get my youth back like he is but Bowie did a damn fine job evoking said ideas. Not to mention the great aging practical effects he was incredible.

Now on to Top Gun hopefully I can watch before the weekend so I can catch up. This is probably blasphemous to some but I’m not really a fan of the movie. To be fair i was probably around 10 or 12 when I watched it so most likely it went over my head so I’m excited to watch it at a much different time in my life. Should be fun.
By ScoJo
Great that you enjoyed your first Hungering @Pete, the film seems to have held up incredibly well for most of us.

One thing that's still crazy, as far as the TS filmmaker journey, is the jump from Hunger to TG in just a couple of years. It's just one of the most blatant hard-rudder course corrects of any director's career in my view. Can't think of anyone else who consciously swerved so dramatically away from slow-burn art house to screaming populism in one move.
By Bezulsqy
@inksb

I understand your point of view regarding Top Gun. I am not a big fan of Cruise because of Cruise, but he has been in a lot of terrific movies. His grin always bugs me but for some reason at some point (and his motorcycle sequences...) but it never leaves a bad taste.

I am also wondering if there is a difference in being from Europe or the US in how a movie like Top Gun comes across. High school in Belgium is very different than from what I have seen in US movies.
The position of the army/navy is also very different here.

I really enjoyed my Top Gun viewing. I had the 4K version with atmos playing loud and that really got me sucked in the dogfighting action. The cheesy testosterone locker room bits didn't bother me at all because it felt more like something that belongs to the eighties than that it was a cliché. The whole romantic bit did annoy me a bit because she wanted to be so careful that nobody knew and before you know it they are all having lunch in a diner and singing tunes.

The Hunger was fantastic and mesmerizing and dreamy and sexy. Loved it a lot. But during Top Gun I was almost fist pumping during a lot of scenes. It felt more exciting than The Hunger. Because of that I am placing it above The Hunger although as @ScoJo said, the movies are so dramatically different from each other.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:49 am @inksb

I understand your point of view regarding Top Gun. I am not a big fan of Cruise because of Cruise, but he has been in a lot of terrific movies. His grin always bugs me but for some reason at some point (and his motorcycle sequences...) but it never leaves a bad taste.

I am also wondering if there is a difference in being from Europe or the US in how a movie like Top Gun comes across. High school in Belgium is very different than from what I have seen in US movies.

I really enjoyed my Top Gun viewing. I had the 4K version with atmos playing loud and that really got me sucked in the dogfighting action. The cheesy testosterone locker room bits didn't bother me at all because it felt more like something that belongs to the eighties than that it was a cliché. The whole romantic bit did annoy me a bit because she wanted to be so careful that nobody knew and before you know it they are all having lunch in a diner and singing tunes.

The Hunger was fantastic and mesmerizing and dreamy and sexy. Loved it a lot. But during Top Gun I was almost fist pumping during a lot of scenes. It felt more exciting than The Hunger. Because of that I am placing it above The Hunger although as @ScoJo said, the movies are so dramatically different from each other.
I will say that if, 35 years after it's release and a looooong way now from The Eighties, a not-so-young lad from the Netherlands was pumping his fist? Then Top Gun works.
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:05 am
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:49 am @inksb

I will say that if, 35 years after it's release and a looooong way now from The Eighties, a not-so-young lad from the Netherlands was pumping his fist? Then Top Gun works.
Hear, fucking hear.
By deafmetal
ScoJo wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:05 am I will say that if, 35 years after it's release and a looooong way now from The Eighties, a not-so-young lad from the Netherlands was pumping his fist? Then Top Gun works.
I agree, and I think this is great. The film had a huge impact on pop culture. I have no shame in admitting that when I was the young lad back in the 80's, Top Gun was *thee* shit and those dogfighting scenes had me pumping my fist in the air. I also spent some hard-earned coin to hang a large fighter jet poster on my bedroom wall with dreams of being an Air Force pilot one day. When we finally got a Nintendo for Christmas on year, the first game I scored was Top Gun. Those fighter pilot dreams were dashed early in my teenage years when my vision went to shit and computers, skateboarding, and girls became more interesting, but I still have fond memories from that period of my life when anything seemed possible.
By zuko
ScoJo wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:20 am One thing that's still crazy, as far as the TS filmmaker journey, is the jump from Hunger to TG in just a couple of years. It's just one of the most blatant hard-rudder course corrects of any director's career in my view. Can't think of anyone else who consciously swerved so dramatically away from slow-burn art house to screaming populism in one move.
David Gordon Green has got to be up there. Art house indie > Stoner comedies > Back to the indies but with bigger stars > Heritage horror revivals
By ScoJo
zuko wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:29 pm
ScoJo wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:20 am One thing that's still crazy, as far as the TS filmmaker journey, is the jump from Hunger to TG in just a couple of years. It's just one of the most blatant hard-rudder course corrects of any director's career in my view. Can't think of anyone else who consciously swerved so dramatically away from slow-burn art house to screaming populism in one move.
David Gordon Green has got to be up there. Art house indie > Stoner comedies > Back to the indies but with bigger stars > Heritage horror revivals
Great pull! 100%
By Hatter313
there's definitely a recent trend of indie directors getting critical accolades and the being given big budget projects..unfortunately not always to great success. look at Wingard, Treverrow, etc. BUT the tonal shift from The Hunger to Top Gun is bound to give you whiplash. these aren't even movies that look like they made for the same audience, let alone by the same person, but he's adept at both and interestingly the latter is where he sort of settled. there's range...and then there's the self assurance to play in any sandbox you want.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:40 pm there's definitely a recent trend of indie directors getting critical accolades and the being given big budget projects..unfortunately not always to great success. look at Wingard, Treverrow, etc. BUT the tonal shift from The Hunger to Top Gun is bound to give you whiplash. these aren't even movies that look like they made for the same audience, let alone by the same person, but he's adept at both and interestingly the latter is where he sort of settled. there's range...and then there's the self assurance to play in any sandbox you want.
The few times when TS dipped back into slow burn arty-ness and indulged those urges (mostly with Revenge) was again when he came unstuck with the movie not finding it's audience on release - yet going on to become a cult flick.
By Mateo Sanboval
The one notation I'd add here is that DGG has largely been working with the same group of people since college so the journey has been a collective one, though no less stunningly diverse than Brother Zuko made it out to be.
By zuko
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:06 am
The one notation I'd add here is that DGG has largely been working with the same group of people since college so the journey has been a collective one
For sure, good point. So I guess with more chefs at the table there's bound to be more flavours going on.

Now he's moved into franchise horror I wonder if he and Danny McBride have ever discussed a Covenant follow-up? (Ridley, Disney-buy-out etc. etc. notwithstanding)
By Bezulsqy
I just finished BHC 1 and 2. I am not sure which one I like better. 1 felt fresher maybe. Lighter. Funnier. But only by a little bit. I really loved Billy and has guns in part 2.
Very enjoyable all in all but it is no Top Gun. Very curious to hear other people's thoughts about BHC 2 with Tony Scott in mind. I can't really say anything about the TS factor in this movie.
By CrossedPete
Watched Top Gun last night and I got to say watching this movie with fresh eyes it was quite enjoyable. I’ve seen the movie before but I was way too young for it so it went over my head. In terms of Tony Scott and compared to The Hunger.... well it’s kinda hard to compare the two movies but one thing I’ll say is I really enjoyed the openings for both movies. I feel mr. Scott does an excellent job setting the tone of the movies in the first 5-10 min. In the case of Top Gun seeing all the fighter jets taking off in the glow of the sun really sucked me in and I was invested right away. I also really liked how much time was spent with Maverick dealing with his grief. How crazy is it that the military tribunal was like nope nothing he could of done so the best thing for maverick is to get back to TopGun immediately to continue training? Where I feel that’s probably the last place he should of been as he was still extremely traumatized. For me though the best part of this movie was the dog fighting man that was intense. Every time there was a scene in the air my heart was in my throat I was hooked. I love the fact he used real footage it just made this movie more real and enjoyable. I feel like I could watch a documentary on the making of the fighting scenes and the actual pilots who flew the Jets. As much as I like the openings of his movies so far I feel he does an excellent job ending them as well.

On a side note I enjoyed that Car commercial and music video thanks for sharing. Does anybody know if tony directed the scenes with Kenny or just the clips from the movie?

All in all i think it’s kinda hard to rate these two movies as they are completely different in every way but for the sake of the untitled Tony Scott project i would say Top Gun 1 the Hunger 2
Last edited by CrossedPete on Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
By inksb
I showed my wife Beverly Hills Cop 2 for the first time tonight. She enjoyed it quite a bit. It's been a long time since I last saw it but I remembered most of the film. Great cast, highly entertaining. I did forget about the very small Chris Rock role, he looked like a baby.

Ranking so far

1. Hunger
2. BHC2
3. TG