A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
CrossedPete wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:10 am Watched Top Gun last night and I got to say watching this movie with fresh eyes it was quite enjoyable. I’ve seen the movie before but I was way too young for it so it went over my head. In terms of Tony Scott and compared to The Hunger.... well it’s kinda hard to compare the two movies but one thing I’ll say is I really enjoyed the openings for both movies. I feel mr. Scott does an excellent job setting the tone of the movies in the first 5-10 min. In the case of Top Gun seeing all the fighter jets taking off in the glow of the sun really sucked me in and I was invested right away. I also really liked how much time was spent with Maverick dealing with his grief. How crazy is it that the military tribunal was like nope nothing he could of done so the best thing for maverick is to get back to TopGun immediately to continue training? Where I feel that’s probably the last place he should of been as he was still extremely traumatized. For me though the best part of this movie was the dog fighting man that was intense. Every time there was a scene in the air my heart was in my throat I was hooked. I love the fact he used real footage it just made this movie more real and enjoyable. I feel like I could watch a documentary on the making of the fighting scenes and the actual pilots who flew the Jets. As much as I like the openings of his movies so far I feel he does an excellent job ending them as well.

On a side note I enjoyed that Car commercial and music video thanks for sharing. Does anybody know if tony directed the scenes with Kenny or just the clips from the movie?

All in all i think it’s kinda hard to rate these two movies as they are completely different in every way but for the sake of the untitled Tony Scott project i would say Top Gun 1 the Hunger 2
That video is 100% Scott.
By CrossedPete
I watched Beverly Hills Cop 2 and once again Tony Scott knows how to set the tone in the first five to ten minutes. He really knows how to hook me in.

One thing that I’m staring to notice with his films is his choices of music. Is anyone else getting Carpenter vibes with the opening music? To me it sounds like Dukes music from ESNY but if it was recorded in the They Live era. Maybe it’s just me.

This is a fun little sequel that does justice to the original and that sometimes is no easy task. I think this is going to be hard to rank so I might wait till I watch a couple more before i make my definitive list.
By Bezulsqy
I can’t say anything about the music. My head doesn’t like to remember things in such a way that I can connect titles like that.

I agree with BHC 2 doing justice to the first one and still be different and interesting enough. And like I said in my previous post about this movie I have no idea how this stacks up in TS oeuvre.
By ScoJo
CrossedPete wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:12 am I watched Beverly Hills Cop 2 and once again Tony Scott knows how to set the tone in the first five to ten minutes. He really knows how to hook me in.

One thing that I’m staring to notice with his films is his choices of music. Is anyone else getting Carpenter vibes with the opening music? To me it sounds like Dukes music from ESNY but if it was recorded in the They Live era. Maybe it’s just me.

This is a fun little sequel that does justice to the original and that sometimes is no easy task. I think this is going to be hard to rank so I might wait till I watch a couple more before i make my definitive list.
Tony's music is always killer, he and Ridley considered themselves very 'rock and roll' as filmmakers and certainly weren't shy about using artists/composers/tunes to amp up the screen wattage as much as possible. (Jack Nitzsche's moody, melancholy yet rousing score for Revenge is one I'm desperate to see hit wax) Faltermeyer and Zimmer define the vibe of TS's world for all of us, so many great scores. WHERE IS GODDAM TOP GUN SOMEONE PLEASE, FERRCHRISSAKES!!

You're spot on about that Faltermeyer BHCII cue of course, it famously riffs The Duke Arrives and gives it a signature Falt boost! In doing the theme tune for the new T&S podcast, it was an obvious choice to riff on that cue, but return it to it's Carpenter roots. I think you all will get a kick out of it ;)
Last edited by ScoJo on Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Hatter313
I’m THRILLED with the BHCII love here, it gets lumped in with the third one way too often by people and this makes me so happy.

Faltermeyer is criminally...uh....under-waxed? Yeah let’s go with under-waxed
By CrossedPete
ScoJo wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:16 am
CrossedPete wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:12 am I watched Beverly Hills Cop 2 and once again Tony Scott knows how to set the tone in the first five to ten minutes. He really knows how to hook me in.

Tony's music is always killer, he and Ridley considered themselves very 'rock and roll' as filmmakers and certainly weren't shy about using artists/composers/tunes to amp up the screen wattage as much as possible. (Jack Nitzsche's moody, melancholy yet rousing score for Revenge is one I'm desperate to see hit wax) Faltermeyer and Zimmer define the vibe of TS's world for all of us, so many great scores. WHERE IS GODDAM TOP GUN SOMEONE PLEASE, FERRCHRISSAKES!!

You're spot on about that Faltermeyer BHCII cue of course, it famously riffs The Duke Arrives and gives it a signature Falt boost! In doing the theme tune for the new T&S podcast, it was an obvious choice to riff on that cue, but return it to it's Carpenter roots. I think you all will get a kick out of it ;)
Speaking of Revenge I’m really looking forward to watching as I’ve never seen it before. Honestly the first id heard of the movie was when I was refreshing myself with TS body of work.
By zuko
Watched BH2 tonight, goes down real easy.

I’d never made the connection before between this and the Duke’s theme. Yes please to this on wax. And Top Gun. And Tango & Cash.

The cast in this thing is stacked. I’d forgotten Marvin from Midnight Run was the other cop; I guess that’s the Martin Brest connection.
By Mateo Sanboval
zuko wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:14 pm Watched BH2 tonight, goes down real easy.

I’d never made the connection before between this and the Duke’s theme. Yes please to this on wax. And Top Gun. And Tango & Cash.
And Fletch. And Fletch Lives. And Kuffs. And Fatal Beauty. And Thief Of Hearts. And Cop Out. And...
By Bezulsqy
CrossedPete wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:26 pm
ScoJo wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:16 am

Speaking of Revenge I’m really looking forward to watching as I’ve never seen it before. Honestly the first id heard of the movie was when I was refreshing myself with TS body of work.
Same for me about Revenge. Probably has to wait till next Sunday or Monday.
By CrossedPete
One thing I forgot to write about when it comes to BHC2 is my new favourite line spoken by Inspector Todd and I quote “Don’t think Axle.....Makes my dick itch.” I wasn’t expecting it and had to rewind. I wonder if it was adlib line or was it written in the script? Either way genius pure genius.
By static14
zuko wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:04 pm Oh man, the inspector comes in so hot in that scene, I love it :)

His real life story is crazy. Corrupt cop tied up in all kinds of shit including the Whiteboy Rick case.
By CrossedPete
I also checked out his filmography and was surprised that all he really did was the BHC films. He plays such an excellent hard ass boss. Did know his real life story but I’ll have to read up about it. Thanks for posting that clip @zuko now I can enjoy it again and again :)
By Bezulsqy
Revenge was better than I expected. It also had some Top Gun (jets) in it and some The Hunger (wavy silky curtains). How is everyone doing with TS? I am going for 1 TS a week or I am going too fast?
By ScoJo
So I confess I am jumping around a bit sorry. In the last two weeks I rewatched:

BHCII
UNSTOPPABLE
ENEMY OF THE STATE

These were all wonderfully enjoyable, in the next week I'm planning MAN ON FIRE and REVENGE. I've sortof jumped over TRUE ROMANCE as I've seen it 7000 times ;-)
By inksb
I have not watched any since BHCII. I need to track down copies to the next few. I'm actually really looking forward to revisiting The Last Boy Scout, I used to watch it a lot but it's been a really long time. I completely forgot he directed Enemy of the State, I don't think I've watched that since it hit home video for the first time but remembered liking it quite a bit. I'll be skipping True Romance as I've seen that fairly recently. I'm trying to go in order as a better way to see how he progressed as a filmmaker.
By zuko
inksb wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:35 pm I have not watched any since BHCII. I need to track down copies to the next few. I'm actually really looking forward to revisiting The Last Boy Scout, I used to watch it a lot but it's been a really long time. I completely forgot he directed Enemy of the State, I don't think I've watched that since it hit home video for the first time but remembered liking it quite a bit. I'll be skipping True Romance as I've seen that fairly recently. I'm trying to go in order as a better way to see how he progressed as a filmmaker.
Enemy of the State and Crimson Tide are on Disney+, and Man on Fire is on Prime at the moment if you have either of those.
By inksb
zuko wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:28 pm
inksb wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:35 pm I have not watched any since BHCII. I need to track down copies to the next few. I'm actually really looking forward to revisiting The Last Boy Scout, I used to watch it a lot but it's been a really long time. I completely forgot he directed Enemy of the State, I don't think I've watched that since it hit home video for the first time but remembered liking it quite a bit. I'll be skipping True Romance as I've seen that fairly recently. I'm trying to go in order as a better way to see how he progressed as a filmmaker.
Enemy of the State and Crimson Tide are on Disney+, and Man on Fire is on Prime at the moment if you have either of those.
Awesome! I have both so those are at least taken care of.
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:22 pm So I confess I am jumping around a bit sorry. In the last two weeks I rewatched:

BHCII
UNSTOPPABLE
ENEMY OF THE STATE

These were all wonderfully enjoyable, in the next week I'm planning MAN ON FIRE and REVENGE. I've sortof jumped over TRUE ROMANCE as I've seen it 7000 times ;-)
I am a bit disappointed to hear this @ScoJo! But it does give me the okay to keep watching TS at an increased rate :-)
Days of Thunder in 4K coming weekend!
By Jimmy_Mike
Big feels re: Days of Thunder. I'm from North Carolina, Winston-Salem specifically, home of the Winston Cup. This movie was a BFD. The theme park near us had a DoT simulator. I remember being so amped on that ride.
By tim28212
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:56 pm Big feels re: Days of Thunder. I'm from North Carolina, Winston-Salem specifically, home of the Winston Cup. This movie was a BFD. The theme park near us had a DoT simulator. I remember being so amped on that ride.
yep, there was big excitement that it was being film at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. But, I've still never seen it. :)
By Bezulsqy
I think I had only seen Days of Thunder once. Maybe 20 years ago. It does feel like Top Gun: Nascar edition. But I found it not as exciting as Top Gun. Still a lot of fun though.
I cannot comment on specific TS direction stuff. I simply can't look at a movie in a professional way.

Next up for me is The Last Boyscout and that one I don't think I have ever seen.