A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By zuko
I saw it on telly a while back – maybe Film 4 did a retrospective when he died? It’s very sparse and meditative, very much just a curio rather than some long lost masterpiece. Zero Loggins on this one.
By Bezulsqy
I just finished The Hunger. I had never seen it before.
That opening scene was something else. Brilliant movie. The shots of the empty bed with the silk ribbons flowing in the wind reminded me of 80s music videos.
I was confused by the ending though. Maybe I am over thinking it.

And I still need the score to this. I have been holding out on getting an Japanese version of it. In due time it will be mine.

Saturday I will probably watch Top Gun. I have seen that at least two times during the 90s. Never since. I believe this year a 4K release will come out. I do have a 4K file for Beverly Hills Cop 2. Are we watching part 1 and 3 as well to compare? Well, I know I will :-)
By Hatter313
Slightly premature but I hold BHC 2 in as high regard as the first one. This is an opinion I did not know was controversial for a long time but I guess a lot of people don’t vibe it the way I do...but the trio of Stockwell, Prochnow, and Nielsen as the villains is just something else
By Mateo Sanboval
Zuko - Thanks for the tip; I'll see if I can rent it this weekend.

Bez - I'm sure there's more "explanation" in the book, but I always felt this film was more about the vibe anyway. The more I think about the details, the more I'm pulled out of the atmosphere of the piece.

Looking forward to our further adventures in Scotting.
By inksb
It's time's like these I appreciate being a film fan and discovering a film that simply floors you (happens less and less as the years go on). The Hunger was incredible. It doesn't feel like any other Tony Scott film I've ever seen. There were some intense scenes. As everyone else has pointed out, that opening was so damn good. The performances from Deneuve and Sarandon were quite striking. The wine drips on the white tshirt with no bra on was hilarious. My wife and I really got a kick out of that scene and how quickly it escalated. This adventure into Scott's filmography has already paid off, I could stop right now and be happy.

@bez if you have an HD version of Top Gun let me know.
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:57 am Zuko - Thanks for the tip; I'll see if I can rent it this weekend.

Bez - I'm sure there's more "explanation" in the book, but I always felt this film was more about the vibe anyway. The more I think about the details, the more I'm pulled out of the atmosphere of the piece.

On this viewing, I was also a bit confused by the lore that's in play, though not to the detriment of my enjoyment of course. But if anyone has some intel to share from the book that would be great, regarding:

- Miriam is an OG, and effectively eternally youthful
- Those she initiates get super longevity of youth, but that shit eventually times out and it's presto-dusto for you- except sorry! You are also eternal, but in an increasingly crumbly ass state. Horrific!
- Miriam initiates Sarah, but Sarah chooses to die by Ankh-slash/bleeding out. So that's a thing that can happen?
- But ultimately (thanks to the producers) we see that Sarah survived/is effectively eternal
- As for Miriam (the most confusing part of the lore for me), she is pushed off a balcony and this fall precipitates her rapid ageing/decline as with John but much faster?

Since the story doesn't include any lore about silver, crucifixes, daylight or holy water, this ageless vamp breed are only susceptible to heights and trip hazards? Izzatright?

Apologies for any seeming pedantry or nit-picking, though it's also very possible that combined with the film's rather opaque take on narrative (which don't get me wrong, I really love and appreciate...) and my watching at stupid o'clock when my head wasn't screwed on properly, perhaps I actually missed something significant that explains Miriam's somewhat throwaway demise.
By Hatter313
I have to reread the book, i'm not sure if i ever finished it actually, and any time i try to recall the differences the movie takes over. he wrote two sequels to it later on as well that i have here somewhere, maybe i'll do a Streiber run at some point.
By Hatter313
In honor of all of this, breaking out this OLD bit of rag from the archives. There was about 8 or so years in the recent past where even wearing this shirt again was out of the question, thankfully my quarantine weight regain hasn’t taken it out commission again so I’ll be rocking this classic today.
75A8E8EE-EF60-4D86-B23B-B1D63161F4A1.jpeg
75A8E8EE-EF60-4D86-B23B-B1D63161F4A1.jpeg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 1761 times
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:06 pm I have to reread the book, i'm not sure if i ever finished it actually, and any time i try to recall the differences the movie takes over. he wrote two sequels to it later on as well that i have here somewhere, maybe i'll do a Streiber run at some point.
It's weird that I never read the Hunger novels... for a while after Communion (the film) I was obsessive about Streiber, especially that book and the aftermath ones, but of course Wolfen too. Think I maybe also read Catmagic and Majestic. So why no Hunger? Beats me. Maybe I wasn't into sexy lady vampires... (yeah RIGHT!! ;-)
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:27 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:06 pm I have to reread the book, i'm not sure if i ever finished it actually, and any time i try to recall the differences the movie takes over. he wrote two sequels to it later on as well that i have here somewhere, maybe i'll do a Streiber run at some point.
It's weird that I never read the Hunger novels... for a while after Communion (the film) I was obsessive about Streiber, especially that book and the aftermath ones, but of course Wolfen too. Think I maybe also read Catmagic and Majestic. So why no Hunger? Beats me. Maybe I wasn't into sexy lady vampires... (yeah RIGHT!! ;-)
Ingrid Pitt has entered the chat
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:59 pm
ScoJo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:27 pm
Ingrid Pitt has entered the chat
I actually lol'd.
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:33 pm
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:57 am Zuko - Thanks for the tip; I'll see if I can rent it this weekend.

On this viewing, I was also a bit confused by the lore that's in play, though not to the detriment of my enjoyment of course. But if anyone has some intel to share from the book that would be great, regarding:

- Those she initiates get super longevity of youth, but that shit eventually times out and it's presto-dusto for you- except sorry! You are also eternal, but in an increasingly crumbly ass state. Horrific!
- Miriam initiates Sarah, but Sarah chooses to die by Ankh-slash/bleeding out. So that's a thing that can happen?
- But ultimately (thanks to the producers) we see that Sarah survived/is effectively eternal
- As for Miriam (the most confusing part of the lore for me), she is pushed off a balcony and this fall precipitates her rapid ageing/decline as with John but much faster?

Since the story doesn't include any lore about silver, crucifixes, daylight or holy water, this ageless vamp breed are only susceptible to heights and trip hazards? Izzatright?

Apologies for any seeming pedantry or nit-picking, though it's also very possible that combined with the film's rather opaque take on narrative (which don't get me wrong, I really love and appreciate...) and my watching at stupid o'clock when my head wasn't screwed on properly, perhaps I actually missed something significant that explains Miriam's somewhat throwaway demise.
ScoJ, my interpretation was very close to yours. Miriam is a vampire and thusly immortal. Her Lovers are immortal, but dehydrate after a long time of vampy youthfulness. Miriam keeps them in boxes in what amounts to a vegetative state because she loves them. OR is it because Miriam draws power from their continued existence as in that's how she femains forever young. Hmm...that last bit's kind of catchy. Anyhow, Sarah forces Miriam to drink her not-quite-Vampire blood in what we think is Sarah's suicide (remember Sarah stabs herself through the throat while she and Miriam are smooching as is the custom in France). This causes Miriam to lose her bits. At first, I thought this was out of l'amour, but I'm pretty sure drinking fake vamp blood infected her with finite youth / broke her youthy spell and, as she is long overdue, she fumbles around with the undeadites of her past and ages out so to speak. The trip and fall is dramatic, but not the cause. As the narrator in Fishing With John famously says at the start of episode two, "My mistake. (Miriam's) not dead." She's just exists in dessicated limbo eternity and Sarah, now thriving off of Miriam's duravamp battery, awakes, boxes up the french dust muffin, and moves to London where she immediately takes a couple of young lovers and stores Miriam in a crate where she shouts Sarah's name repeatedly into the void. Roll credits.
Last edited by Mateo Sanboval on Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Hatter313
^this was literally art.
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:27 pm
ScoJo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:33 pm

ScoJ, my interpretation was very close to yours. Miriam is a vampire and thusly immortal. Her Lovers are immortal, but dehydrate after a long time of vampy youthfulness. Miriam keeps them in boxes in what amounts to a vegetative state because she loves them. OR is it because Miriam draws power from their continued existence as in that's how she femains forever young. Hmm...that last bit's kind of catchy. Anyhow, Sarah forces Miriam to drink her not-quite-Vampire blood in what we think is Sarah's suicide (remember Sarah stabs herself through the throat while she and Miriam are smooching as is the custom in France). This causes Miriam to lose her bits. At first, I thought this was out of l'amour, but I'm pretty sure drinking fake vamp blood infected her with finite youth / broke her youthy spell and, as she is long overdue, she fumbles around with the undeadites of her past and ages out so to speak. The trip and fall is dramatic, but not the cause. As the narrator in Fishing With John famously says at the start of episode two, "My mistake. (Miriam's) not dead." She's just exists in dessicated limbo eternity and Sarah, now thriving off of Miriam's duravamp battery, awakes, boxes up the french dust muffin, and moves to London where she immediately takes a couple of young lovers and stores Miriam in a crate where she shouts Sarah's name repeatedly into the void. Roll credits.
Forced to drink 'fake/semi vamp blood'. Gotchya. But haven't M & S been happily swapping plasma up to this point anyway, without it being an 'issue' for M/her general complexion and joi de vivre?

Incidentally, as for Sarah's ultimate fate factoring into anything, we can rule all that out - that was purely a bolt-on insisted upon by The Money, who wanted to set up a possible (and wildly unlikely) sequel. Nothing to do with either the book nor screenplay.

I'mma read that darn book, methinks!
By Mateo Sanboval
I think the only went swapsy in their initial encounter which was a simple turning ritual. Just my guess of course. There's rarely a great vantage point from the weeds.
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:19 pm I think the only went swapsy in their initial encounter which was a simple turning ritual. Just my guess of course.

That makes sense, yep.

There's rarely a great vantage point from the weeds.

Agreed! Though sadly, I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time wading through them ;-)

By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:20 pm
@bez if you have an HD version of Top Gun let me know.
I missed that you asked. I do have copies. I'll upload one now.
By Bezulsqy
and thanks @Mateo and @ScoJo for clarifying the plot for me. French dust muffin it is.

I am going to watch Top Gun now. I have a 4k copy with an Atmos soundtrack lined up. Have a great weekend y'all!
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:30 am and thanks @Mateo and @ScoJo for clarifying the plot for me. French dust muffin it is.

I am going to watch Top Gun now. I have a 4k copy with an Atmos soundtrack lined up. Have a great weekend y'all!
Today I'm going to build a birdhouse, build a Gakken toy record cutting lathe, build a vegan burger or three, and then this evening I'll be building up a need. A need for speed.

RectangularAbandonedFeline-max-1mb.gif
RectangularAbandonedFeline-max-1mb.gif (806.91 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:31 am
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:30 am and thanks @Mateo and @ScoJo for clarifying the plot for me. French dust muffin it is.

Today I'm going to build a birdhouse, build a Gakken toy record cutting lathe, build a vegan burger or three, and then this evening I'll be building up a need. A need for speed.

Good luck with all your creations today @ScoJo.

I will wait with talking about Top Gun after more of you have seen it. But I can say that I remembered some parts wrong. And I enjoyed it thoroughly. Excellent movie. Fun, exciting, bit of cheese. Those dogfight were awesome.
Last edited by Bezulsqy on Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:43 am
ScoJo wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:31 am

Good luck with all your creations today @ScoJo.

I will wait with talking about Top Gun after more of you have seen it. But I can say that I remembered some parts wrong. And I enjoyed it thoroughly. Excellent movie. Fun, exciting, but of cheese. Those dogfight were awesome.
Wait... Ben..... there's some cheese??!

SPOILERS MUCH!!?

By Mateo Sanboval
A bit of Camembert pairs quite nicely with a crumbly dust muffin.