A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
Pop quiz, hot shots.

List your Top 12 director/composer partnerships - I guess for sake of having parameters, anyone who has worked together more than say three times?

I realise that a certain Mr Speilbergo and Mr Williams are going to feature prominently in many lists, so I'll kick off with my own list as that esteemed duo don't quite make it into the top slots! This is an honest list of my favourites, but I must confess it saddens me a little to see that it is light on non-American filmmakers, and features not a single woman! :O (Do female film director's and composers not build partnerships in the way that many of their male counterparts clearly do? It's an interesting question...)

In no particular order:

ROMAN POLANSKI and CHRISTOPHE KOMEDA
ALAN J PAKULA and MICHAEL SMALL
STEVEN SODERBERGH and CLIFF MARTINEZ
ANDREI TARKOVSKY and EDUARD ARTEMIEV
JOE DANTE and JERRY GOLDSMITH
WERNER HERZOG and POPOL VUH
ALFRED HITCHCOCK and BERNARD HERRMANN
DAVID CRONENBERG and HOWARD SHORE
TIM BURTON and DANNY ELFMAN
DAVID LYNCH and ANGELO BADALAMENTI
JOHN CARPENTER and JOHN CARPENTER (haha)
DARIO ARGENTO and GOBLIN

*EDIT* Goddamit - I forgot about DePalma and Donaggio!!
What are the criteria for favorite? Is it scores that you like to listen to on their own or music that works particularly well within a director's films? Some other metric? Or just catch as catch can? For example I love Goldsmith's music in Joe Dante's films, but I own very little of it as it's not the kind of thing I'd spin on the regular. But in the context of a partnership, with the music and the film working together hand in hand? Brilliant.
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:18 pm What are the criteria for favorite? Is it scores that you like to listen to on their own or music that works particularly well within a director's films? Some other metric? Or just catch as catch can? For example I love Goldsmith's music in Joe Dante's films, but I own very little of it as it's not the kind of thing I'd spin on the regular. But in the context of a partnership, with the music and the film working together hand in hand? Brilliant.
I was thinking primarily of the films themselves, with enjoyment of the music standalone as a secondary factor (to help break ties haha)
10 for me (unless I think of more)

LEONE/MORRICONE
CLAIRE DENNIS/TINDERSTICKS
ARONOFSKY/MANSELL
HERZOG/POPUL VUH
LYNCH/BADALEMENTI
ARGENTO/GOBLIN
CARPENTER SQUARED
MARTINO/NICOLAI
HITCHCOCK/HERMANN
FULCI/FRIZZI
By ScoJo
lazyben wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:20 pm 10 for me (unless I think of more)

LEONE/MORRICONE
CLAIRE DENNIS/TINDERSTICKS
ARONOFSKY/MANSELL
HERZOG/POPUL VUH
LYNCH/BADALEMENTI
ARGENTO/GOBLIN
CARPENTER SQUARED
MARTINO/NICOLAI
HITCHCOCK/HERMANN
FULCI/FRIZZI
Sweet jeebuz, how did I pass over Leone/Morricone?? I need a lie down.

Some nice entries here, LB.
This was harder than I thought. Here's what a pared down from a list about twice this size. I sort of used music that I listen to apart from the films as tiebreaker hence Dante / Goldsmith didn't make the final cut.

Nicolas Winding Refn / Cliff Martinez
Denis Villeneuve / Johann Johannsson
David Lynch / Angelo Badalamenti
John Carpenter / John Carpenter
Sydney Pollack / Dave Grusin
Andrei Tarkovsky / Eduard Artemiev
Sergio Leone / Ennio Morricone
Joel & Ethan Coen / Carter Burwell
Godfrey Reggio / Philip Glass
Takeshi Kitano / Joe Hisaishi
William Lustig / Jay Chattaway
Walter Hill / James Horner
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:07 pm This was harder than I thought. Here's what a pared down from a list about twice this size. I sort of used music that I listen to apart from the films as tiebreaker hence Dante / Goldsmith didn't make the final cut.

Nicolas Winding Refn / Cliff Martinez
Denis Villeneuve / Johann Johannsson
David Lynch / Angelo Badalamenti
John Carpenter / John Carpenter
Sydney Pollack / Dave Grusin
Andrei Tarkovsky / Eduard Artemiev
Sergio Leone / Ennio Morricone
Joel & Ethan Coen / Carter Burwell
Godfrey Reggio / Philip Glass
Takeshi Kitano / Joe Hisaishi
William Lustig / Jay Chattaway
Walter Hill / James Horner
Niiiice. Again, I neglected Coens/Burwell somehow (doh!) and Kitano/Hisaishi is a brilliant pull.
In no particular order, and most of this has been covered

De Palma/ pinodaggio
Lynch/badalmenti
Leone/morricone
Cronenberg/Shore
Spielberg/Williams
Burton/Elfman
Dante/goldsmith
Coens/Burwell
Carpenter/carpenter (since we seem to be allowing this lol)
Herzog/Popol Vuh
Fulci/Frizzi (I actually really only like fulcis movies because of their frizzi scores)
Dargento/Goblin

Honorable mention for Shore/Scorsese and Shore/Jackson. (I’ve decided to promote more Howard shore in the world because I don’t think he gets enough credit)

Quick aside I had years ago. I always thought that Howard shore’s work would work great for a Stephen king adaptation but I don’t believe it’s happened yet (unless I’m off my mark) BUT when I first has this thought I realized it must have happened with the dead zone only to realize that for some reason it’s one of the few times cronenberg went with someone else. Thankfully that someone else was Kamen because that score is superb, but I’m still waiting for Shore to compose for Kings work. (Sub aside, they both wrote scores for different versions of Edge of Darkness)
By ScoJo
tim28212 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:36 pm I don't have a list of 12 but I can't believe no one has mentioned

De Palma/Donaggio
Luckily (see my original post *EDIT*) I remembered this big one shortly after hitting 'submit', before anyone could shame me. Def one of my top collabs, no question.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:51 am In no particular order, and most of this has been covered

De Palma/ pinodaggio
Lynch/badalmenti
Leone/morricone
Cronenberg/Shore
Spielberg/Williams
Burton/Elfman
Dante/goldsmith
Coens/Burwell
Herzog/Popol Vuh
Fulci/Frizzi (I actually really only like fulcis movies because of their frizzi scores)
Dargento/Goblin

Honorable mention for Shore/Scorsese and Shore/Jackson. (I’ve decided to promote more Howard shore in the world because I don’t think he gets enough credit)

Quick aside I had years ago. I always thought that Howard shore’s work would work great for a Stephen king adaptation but I don’t believe it’s happened yet (unless I’m off my mark) BUT when I first has this thought I realized it must have happened with the dead zone only to realize that for some reason it’s one of the few times cronenberg went with someone else. Thankfully that someone else was Kamen because that score is superb, but I’m still waiting for Shore to compose for Kings work. (Sub aside, they both wrote scores for different versions of Edge of Darkness)
Scorsese/Shore is a good pull, @H. Took me a minute to think that one through, but def a more extensive collab than you might first think.

That's pretty much why I posed the question - apart from checking out others preferences, to see which collabs I have slept on/need the old noodle jogging. Now I want the Aviator score on 2xLP audio fidelity please ;)

Also (and careful who you whisper this to round here...) I feel pretty much the same about Fulci/Frizzi ssshhhhh

Also also.... I really like 'Dargento'... it's like that's Dario's 90s R&B/soul stage name :D
ScoJo wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:23 am
Hatter313 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:51 am In no particular order, and most of this has been covered

De Palma/ pinodaggio
Lynch/badalmenti
Leone/morricone
Cronenberg/Shore
Spielberg/Williams
Burton/Elfman
Dante/goldsmith
Coens/Burwell
Herzog/Popol Vuh
Dargento/Goblin

Scorsese/Shore is a good pull, @H. Took me a minute to think that one through, but def a more extensive collab than you might first think.

That's pretty much why I posed the question - apart from checking out others preferences, to see which collabs I have slept on/need the old noodle jogging. Now I want the Aviator score on 2xLP audio fidelity please ;)

Also (and careful who you whisper this to round here...) I feel pretty much the same about Fulci/Frizzi ssshhhhh

Also also.... I really like 'Dargento'... it's like that's Dario's 90s R&B/soul stage name :D
Oh my god I didn’t even realize I typed that! I feel like it needs an apostrophe

Tonight at The Zoo - D’argento
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:54 pm
Oh my god I didn’t even realize I typed that! I feel like it needs an apostrophe

Tonight at The Zoo - D’argento
[/quote]

By zuko
I’d echo lots already mentioned, but also add:

PTA + Greenwood
Zemeckis + Silvestri
Bird + Giacchino
Nolan + Zimmer
Garland + Barrow & Salisbury
Last edited by zuko on Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don’t have much to add here that hasn’t already been mentioned, but I’m shocked that Spielberg/Williams was only mentioned once! And Hitchcock/Herrmann.

I also second PTA/Greenwood!

Oh and even though this feels like cheating because it isn’t a single composer, George Romero had a way with library music like nobody else. From Night of the Living Dead to Dawn to Creepshow - having owned all of the original cues used in all of these movies, hearing how he cut them together (sometimes 2-3 pieces combined!) just blows my mind. So masterful, ingenious, and inspired.

So I guess I’m also just saying Romero/Library music, which, now that I’ve typed it out, seems like not the point of this thread, but oh well.
By inksb
Great lists in here. I can't say that this would make my top 10 but one that I feel like is overlooked would be Park Chan-wook / Jo Yeong-wook. He's worked with Park on most of his films JSA, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance, I'm A Cyborg, The Handmaiden and The Little Drummer Girl. A great team and some beautiful work.

For me my personal favorites would be

Martino / Nicolai
Fulci / Frizzi
Argento / Goblin
Miyazaki / Joe Hisaishi
Carpenter / Carpenter
Garland / Barrow & Salisbury
Lynch / Badalmenti
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:37 pm Great lists in here. I can't say that this would make my top 10 but one that I feel like is overlooked would be Park Chan-wook / Jo Yeong-wook. He's worked with Park on most of his films JSA, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance, I'm A Cyborg, The Handmaiden and The Little Drummer Girl. A great team and some beautiful work.

For me my personal favorites would be

Martino / Nicolai
Fulci / Frizzi
Argento / Goblin
Miyazaki / Joe Hisaishi
Carpenter / Carpenter
Garland / Barrow & Salisbury
Lynch / Badalmenti
Love how you snuck Garland/Barrow and Salisbury in. Not counting Devs (TV), you are still legit for three movie collaborations because everyone knows that AG actually directed Dredd amiright?
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:43 pm Love how you snuck Garland/Barrow and Salisbury in. Not counting Devs (TV), you are still legit for three movie collaborations because everyone knows that AG actually directed Dredd amiright?
I actually didn't know about him directing Dredd. Just looked it up and that's crazy. I know their work is "small" compared to a lot of others on these lists but Ex Machina, Annihilation and Devs are all excellent. Definitely one of my favorite working partnerships.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:56 pm
ScoJo wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:43 pm Love how you snuck Garland/Barrow and Salisbury in. Not counting Devs (TV), you are still legit for three movie collaborations because everyone knows that AG actually directed Dredd amiright?
I actually didn't know about him directing Dredd. Just looked it up and that's crazy. I know their work is "small" compared to a lot of others on these lists but Ex Machina, Annihilation and Devs are all excellent. Definitely one of my favorite working partnerships.
Yep, that's the general consensus about what he did on Dredd it seems. Though I was being slightly tongue in cheek of course, since Barrow and Salisbury's score was booted off the film haha. I am quite up for rewatching the whole of Devs through again at some point for sure, liked a lot about it. Also want to rewatch TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG in it's entirety.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:59 pm
Yep, that's the general consensus about what he did on Dredd it seems. Though I was being slightly tongue in cheek of course, since Barrow and Salisbury's score was booted off the film haha. I am quite up for rewatching the whole of Devs through again at some point for sure, liked a lot about it. Also want to rewatch TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG in it's entirety.
Yeah I'm completely out of the loop on the Dredd thing. I didn't realize they were scoring it haha. Right over my head.

I loved Devs. One of my favorite things from last year. Too Old To Die Young I watched the first two episodes and fell off. I've meant to go back to it but just haven't found the time. It's so fucking long.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:02 pm
ScoJo wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:59 pm

Yeah I'm completely out of the loop on the Dredd thing. I didn't realize they were scoring it haha. Right over my head.

I loved Devs. One of my favorite things from last year. Too Old To Die Young I watched the first two episodes and fell off. I've meant to go back to it but just haven't found the time. It's so fucking long.
DROKK is their unused score, and it's absolutely blistering, you owe it to yourself to have a listen. When we interviewed Salisbury for the DFC, I was a bit cheeky and did say to him that every composer was allowed to have one score which was wildly influenced by Carpenter. He laughed and agreed fortunately ;-)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OL ... wGX1PCLzoA[/youtube]