A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By texasvinyl
Just discovered this streaming service and signed up. I'm finishing the first half of Seven Samurai and really enjoying it.

Anyone else have this service -- any recommendations?
By tim28212
texasvinyl wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:05 am Just discovered this streaming service and signed up. I'm finishing the first half of Seven Samurai and really enjoying it.

Anyone else have this service -- any recommendations?
I knew it was available but don't have it.
By inksb
I don't have the service but scrolling through their available movies there feels like too much to recommend. I'd say check out any Kubrick they have, Wong Kar Wai's Chungking Express & In The Mood For Love, Daughters of Darkness, any Kurosawa. I will probably sign up for it at some point.
By ScoJo
I'd love it it was available outside the UK. But not hopeful really since, with their disc releases they have always been defiantly region locked. So I'm guessing that they've extended their existing rights deals just to include digital streaming, and only within US territory.
By texasvinyl
Thanks Ink I will look at those. I have House on the list to watch by Obayashi, that sounds like a wild one

Seven Samurai was really good, what awesome characters, and it was funny too.
By inksb
texasvinyl wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:09 pm Thanks Ink I will look at those. I have House on the list to watch by Obayashi, that sounds like a wild one
House is incredible. I was lucky to catch that on it's restoration tour from Janus Films the year prior to the bluray being released by Criterion. I had heard about it for years and to finally watch it was a serious treat.

Since you like Seven Samurai you should check out Yojimbo from Kurosawa next.

Not sure if they are on the site but Criterion released the Lone Wolf & Cub series on bluray a few years ago and those films are a blast. Highly violent and stylized samurai mayhem, Tarantino took a lot of inspiration from these for Kill Bill.
By Mateo Sanboval
The first time I saw Hausu was at the theater and it was so great. I second all of the Lone Wolf And Cubs; great fun.
By Hatter313
I live on the criterion channel most of the time.
You can’t go wrong with Kurosawa, or most of the Japanese cinema on there anyway, Throne of Blood and Hidden Fortress are personal favorites.

The current slate of Japanese noir on there is perfect in every way, A Colt Is My Passport is a particular favorite.

If you are in the samurai kick, non Kurosawa samurai I’d recommend that are on there:

Harakiri
Sword of doom
Zatoichi (it’s 25 films so...yeah)
Lady snowblood x2
Lone wolf and cub series

Not strictly samurai but still Japanese period awesomeness:
Kwaidan
Empire of passion
Kuroneko
Onibaba
Hausu

I don’t know if they’ve got a lot of Herzog on there right now, they did have for a while but it isn’t their license so sometimes they aren’t available, but if Aguirre is still on there I can’t recommend enough.

I’ve been collecting them for years, probably around spine 300 or so. Some personal criterion random favs and some of my favorite films of all time and movies that I discovered through them and not just movies they’ve put out that I already knew, these are not always on there but most should still be:
Wise blood
The American Friend
Until The End Of The World
Wings of Desire
Kiss me deadly
Merry Christmas mr Lawrence
The last emperor
The life and death of Colonel Blimp
Withnail and I
By Hatter313
Also, Australian new wave holds a special place in my heart; these two are just something else

Picnic at hanging rock
The last wave
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:47 pm I live on the criterion channel most of the time.
You can’t go wrong with Kurosawa, or most of the Japanese cinema on there anyway, Throne of Blood and Hidden Fortress are personal favorites.

The current slate of Japanese noir on there is perfect in every way, A Colt Is My Passport is a particular favorite.

If you are in the samurai kick, non Kurosawa samurai I’d recommend that are on there:

Harakiri
Sword of doom
Zatoichi (it’s 25 films so...yeah)
Lady snowblood x2
Lone wolf and cub series

Not strictly samurai but still Japanese period awesomeness:
Kwaidan
Empire of passion
Kuroneko
Onibaba
Hausu

I don’t know if they’ve got a lot of Herzog on there right now, they did have for a while but it isn’t their license so sometimes they aren’t available, but if Aguirre is still on there I can’t recommend enough.

I’ve been collecting them for years, probably around spine 300 or so. Some personal criterion random favs and some of my favorite films of all time and movies that I discovered through them and not just movies they’ve put out that I already knew, these are not always on there but most should still be:
Wise blood
The American Friend
Until The End Of The World
Wings of Desire
Kiss me deadly
Merry Christmas mr Lawrence
The last emperor
The life and death of Colonel Blimp
Withnail and I
By Hatter313
Hahahaha yeah Talking about criterion is definitely hitting a bit of a vein with me. :)
By texasvinyl
So far I have been on an Antonioni kick. First watched L'avventura and then La Notte. These are really good films, visually striking like nothing I've seen before.
By Hatter313
texasvinyl wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:01 am So far I have been on an Antonioni kick. First watched L'avventura and then La Notte. These are really good films, visually striking like nothing I've seen before.
I went on that same kick in April, great stuff!