A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

Okay - if you're interested, drop your 'ay!' below:

Sunday 6th December
10pm GMT / 2pm PST / 5pm EST

If anybody has a virgin brain for Spookies, I strongly recommend familiarising yourself with the wild story behind this production!

https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorial ... -spookies/

And here's the awesome original poster art by my man Richard Corben!

f0bf9b793b8566471a149c7749042b6b.jpg
f0bf9b793b8566471a149c7749042b6b.jpg (871.43 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
Last edited by ScoJo on Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I finally watched this at the very start of the pandemic and fell in love. Also the realization this was filmed a few towns from me gave it an extra special feeling, I’ve driven down those streets and past that house countless times, it’s the John Jay estate and a national landmark.
Hatter313 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:57 pm I finally watched this at the very start of the pandemic and fell in love. Also the realization this was filmed a few towns from me gave it an extra special feeling, I’ve driven down those streets and past that house countless times, it’s the John Jay estate and a national landmark.
Damn that's cool @Hatter!
static14 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:08 pm I vote for the 6th. Ill need that link @Scojo please and thank you. :)
The 6th it is then - you've gotta be involved sir, since you essentially prompted these latest sync-shenanigans!

Get it in your diaries you creeps, and yep I'll make sure that the file is available by then.

Last edited by ScoJo on Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm in.

Would any of you be interested in using something like Discord, you can install it on your computer or phone. Just an idea to try and mitigate having to refresh the website and have a more steady stream of conversation. I'm open for other suggestions on program or format.
inksb wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:47 pm I'm in.

Would any of you be interested in using something like Discord, you can install it on your computer or phone. Just an idea to try and mitigate having to refresh the website and have a more steady stream of conversation. I'm open for other suggestions on program or format.
This always comes up, and using a chat somewhere makes lots of sense - the thing for me is that the sync chat here at stbc (as clunky as it is) means that our 'purloined wisdom' and comments on the flick are archived (rather than lost into the ephemeral aether of an external app thread...)
For instance, I've just read through our last sync for THE FOG and was reminded of various little nuggets from the brethren.

I dunno though, just my tuppence - what's you all think?

ScoJo wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:47 am

This always comes up, and using a chat somewhere makes lots of sense - the thing for me is that the sync chat here at stbc (as clunky as it is) means that our 'purloined wisdom' and comments on the flick are archived (rather than lost into the ephemeral aether of an external app thread...)
For instance, I've just read through our last sync for THE FOG and was reminded of various little nuggets from the brethren.

I won't be able to join you all but I do like reading all your comments afterwards. That is why I would like it if the chat is contained in this thread...
ScoJo wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:47 am

We could always make an archive of the conversation and post it here after? I just forget to refresh sometimes and miss things or can't comment on something as the time has passed. Again this was just a thought. I have no issues using this site for it.
I did wonder about that @inks
- how would that work in terms of porting our convo over to stbc? Would it be screenshotting
or is there some other fiendishly clever method that's way beyond my pay grade/tech abilities ;-)
I'm all for the chat flowing freely like 80s-karo-syrup-based-fake-blood!!
ScoJo wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:07 pm I did wonder about that @inks
- how would that work in terms of porting our convo over to stbc? Would it be screenshotting
or is there some other fiendishly clever method that's way beyond my pay grade/tech abilities ;-)
I will look into this evening and let you know. There may be a way to do a chat archive in discord. If not I was thinking copy pasting into a google doc and leaving a link to it on the first post. Other option would be putting it into a basic text file and possibly just posting it here spread across a few posts.
ScoJo wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:07 pm I did wonder about that @inks
Ok, so after asking my brother his thoughts and digging around myself, I came to the conclusion that I can't export chat directly which I had hoped for in discord. There is a way to do this with a third party software but it makes my account vulnerable to malicious activity which is not something I want to do. So if we do discord, which I have set up a server for already, the two options are the low-tech "screen shot" and post here, that would be an awful lot of work or I can copy the text in the chat paste directly into here but this is dependent on if there is a character limit per post. If there is then it could just be pasted into a google doc and archived here as an attachment that any one can open and look at. Here is how it would look if I copy paste
inksbToday at 9:42 PM
test
[9:42 PM]
random tes
[9:43 PM]
asdf
sdfasfd
more stuff about nothing
[9:48 PM]

more junk
test
blah blah blah

FERNDISCOToday at 10:25 PM
[10:25 PM]
testing
archive this
its fun
[10:26 PM]
how about this
[10:26 PM]
paste
[10:27 PM]
spelunky 2 is bad and it is only played because people hate themselves
I'm not willing to go through the hassle of screen shotting the chat, I'll leave that up to some one else if that is a way we want to go but it's too much work imo and I'd rather just do it directly in here.

Any way let me know your thoughts (not just ScoJo, I'd like to hear from others joining in too)
@ScoJo, I'm up for trying to join this on Sunday. Not seen the film and have already lined up where I'll buy the score on Monday in post-sync enthusiasm.

I can't believe I missed The Fog! When someone mentioned it I had to check back to see if it had been so long ago I'd forgot, but seems it was in April... strange, because there was nothing occupying my mind in April this year!!!

I think I'm with @static. It would be good to have a more real time chat, but it sounds a major hassle to archive, no matter how you do it. I've never thought of going back after a sync to watch a film I've missed - The Fog might be a first.
I haven't seen this in a long time. I will try and catch this with you all. One of my best friends for over 25 years was one of the effects artists on this film. I believe he was only like 19 at the time. I will give him a call this weekend to see if I can get some background info. It's such a cluster@uck of greatness.
EvanCampbell wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:50 am I haven't seen this in a long time. I will try and catch this with you all. One of my best friends for over 25 years was one of the effects artists on this film. I believe he was only like 19 at the time. I will give him a call this weekend to see if I can get some background info. It's such a cluster@uck of greatness.
Really hope you can make it Evaroo! I think this will be a rollicking edition of the Sync Club :)

Found some cool 'behind the fx' pics (is this your pal?)

EC039256-BF8F-4E94-816B-A663140D1887-909-0000013ED5A31307.jpg
EC039256-BF8F-4E94-816B-A663140D1887-909-0000013ED5A31307.jpg (110.73 KiB) Viewed 2257 times