A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
Sad news today. 75 years. He passed away last Friday after being ill for a short time.
By ScoJo
I'm sorry for calling you Rootbeer all those years. I meant it with the greatest respect and affection.

I mean seriously - what an actor. We're unlikely to see his kind again.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:11 pm I mean seriously - what an actor. We're unlikely to see his kind again.
Agreed. I dont' think we'll see another act quite like him.
By Hatter313
deafmetal wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:22 pm So, he died the same year as Roy Batty in Blade Runner... 2019.

Wow....I didn’t even think of that. Watching the hitcher right now, he’s just truly incredible in everything he was in.

Looks like there’s some night hawks, split second, blind fury, lady hawke viewing in my future.
By Hatter313
skeletonbutt wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:33 am maybe i'll bust out my wanted dead or alive VHS tape today. rip
They just announced a blu ray remaster of that earlier this week. and MVD announced a blu ray of split second about an hour or so before the news broke too, very strange.
By Hatter313
maxlevel wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:19 pm @hatter what’s the story with the Hitcher? Can’t find it anywhere except a dated dvd release
No clue, Apparently There's a german bluray that was released in May, which as near as i can tell is the first HD AOR transfer its ever had, but I ended up doing a Cinemax trial to watch it last night, only way to find it. I'm sure whoever owns it will be working on a release now. even the stream from Cinemax is cropped SD release. i'm not sure who owns it now, but it was produced by HBO and distributed by Tri-Star, so it honestly could be either Sony or Warner at this point. That being said, in order of likely blu release i'm gonna guess...

Warner Archive (if they own it)
Arrow - would be a perfect fit
Shout - runner up, but not unlikely, especially if the UK vs US rights split between them and Arrow like they tend to.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:45 pm
maxlevel wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:19 pm @hatter what’s the story with the Hitcher? Can’t find it anywhere except a dated dvd release
No clue, Apparently There's a german bluray that was released in May, which as near as i can tell is the first HD AOR transfer its ever had, but I ended up doing a Cinemax trial to watch it last night, only way to find it. I'm sure whoever owns it will be working on a release now. even the stream from Cinemax is cropped SD release. i'm not sure who owns it now, but it was produced by HBO and distributed by Tri-Star, so it honestly could be either Sony or Warner at this point. That being said, in order of likely blu release i'm gonna guess...

Shout - runner up, but not unlikely, especially if the UK vs US rights split between them and Arrow like they tend to.
The German blu is really nice. Once you get past the opening title: DER HIGHWAY KILLER

Little on the nose there, Deutschland.
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:45 pm

Last I heard HBO still retained the rights, which I think is with Warner now? I can never remember. I honestly don't think we'll be getting a US release anytime soon but I hope to be proven wrong :)

I'm pretty sure MVD announced they were doing Split Second some time last fall, we just haven't received any news or release date until just the other day.

The German blu of The Hitcher I guess has some image issues, the contrast is turned way up and whites are blown out but it's The Hitcher in HD so at the moment it's the best we have. I actually have an HDTV rip from somewhere on my computer. I'm hoping to watch it tonight.
By maxlevel
@inksb @scojo can you switch the language to English? I couldn’t find the specs online for the German. I used to have it on vhs years back
By inksb
maxlevel wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:50 pm @inksb @scojo can you switch the language to English? I couldn’t find the specs online for the German. I used to have it on vhs years back
I do not have the bluray but I know folks who do, it has both German and English audio tracks.
By ScoJo
^ Indeed. But yes @inksb is right - although the detail is great in the 1080 transfer, it has been brightened - this works fine in the early night scenes, improving and revealing detail, but in the full daylight shots it gets quite blown out.
By Bezulsqy
Two days ago the first episode of Floris aired on Dutch TV. It was rather brilliant :-)
A sort of kids show in black and white from 1969 starring Rutger Hauer as Floris and directed by Paul Verhoeven.
Also an excellent score but I am unable to find a release.

By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:21 am Two days ago the first episode of Floris aired on Dutch TV. It was rather brilliant :-)
A sort of kids show in black and white from 1969 starring Rutger Hauer as Floris and directed by Paul Verhoeven.
Also an excellent score but I am unable to find a release.

I need to see this, and I need to see it stat.
By inksb
I watched a copy of the German blu of Hitcher last night. Rutger is incredible. And to echo what @ScoJo said, the picture actually looks great, the dark scenes are lit well but it looks like they took a pass at the whole film with the same setting and that brightening was applied to the day time shots and some of them look blown out. Doesn't detract from the film and it's a good bluray, it just could have used some more attention paid to it to make it better.
By maxlevel
Horrific picture quality didn’t get in the way of a truly masterful film. That shit eating grin RH gives at the end...