A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
Yep that's right. I've been looking for Carpenter's early Super 8mm shorts for years, and through some digging came across this USC 16mm short from '69, which was part of a recently preserved collection of student work that's been screened at CineFamily under the title SHOCK VALUE: The Movie. I'd love to see the entire programme, includes the infamous Dan O'Bannon short 'Blood Bath' which brought JC and DoB together for Dark Star.

Interesting short! Shame it doesn't have an early JC score, very 'back humour' vibe to it, but most fascinating is how much of it is very Halloween-ey! The masked stalker, those handheld tracking shots.... wow.

By ScoJo
And if you've never seen it, this is also fascinating - and possibly contains Carpenter's first score!

It's an Oscar-winning short which JC worked on (script, edit, music) along with Nick Castle, and it's really sweet. I love the music, deserves to be tracked down and released IMO. This is the best quality complete version out there online ( I've actually done my own remaster using several different sources). The film's producer was offering it on DVD for a while, not sure if it's still available. Stay until the end, and theres a cool clip of the Academy Award presentation (by Sally Kellerman!), where JC gets a shout out!

https://vimeo.com/292597282