A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
NathanLurker wrote:I'm expecting a more action/comedy oriented movie anyway
Good plan! ;)
NathanLurker wrote:
Some said they prefer AVP to this new Predator movie.
By zuko
ScoJo wrote:
I remember being freaked-the-fuck-out by the axe scene straight after this. Felt really discordant with the rest of the movie (guess that was the intention though).
By ScoJo
zuko wrote:
ScoJo wrote:
I remember being freaked-the-fuck-out by the axe scene straight after this. Felt really discordant with the rest of the movie (guess that was the intention though).
It's about as brutally blunt as anything in TCM (or any other horror flick, for that matter!)

The moment with Brad in the closet is...umm....quite unexpected too :O
By inksb
I really enjoyed this. It felt very much like a Shane Black movie but in the Predator universe. Let's all be honest here, Predator is one of the few movies in his filmography that doesn't quite feel like the rest. I thought a lot of humor worked really well, the cast was good (except the lead, who the hell is that guy? he's not great). I loved that the first half we actually got a legit practical Predator as well. It's not a perfect movie but it's a fun one.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote:I really enjoyed this. It felt very much like a Shane Black movie but in the Predator universe. Let's all be honest here, Predator is one of the few movies in his filmography that doesn't quite feel like the rest. I thought a lot of humor worked really well, the cast was good (except the lead, who the hell is that guy? he's not great). I loved that the first half we actually got a legit practical Predator as well. It's not a perfect movie but it's a fun one.
By Mateo Sanboval
I was ruminating on this film last evening when it dawned to me that it is essentially a Mercury Rising reboot with some big dogs and a Predator thrown in for good measure.
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote:I was ruminating on this film last evening when it dawned to me that it is essentially a Mercury Rising reboot with some big dogs and a Predator thrown in for good measure.
Hahaha.....though this is probably even funnier if I'd actually seen Mercury Rising (isnt that the one with Bruce as a water-cop, and SJ Parker?)
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:I was ruminating on this film last evening when it dawned to me that it is essentially a Mercury Rising reboot with some big dogs and a Predator thrown in for good measure.
Hahaha.....though this is probably even funnier if I'd actually seen Mercury Rising (isnt that the one with Bruce as a water-cop, and SJ Parker?)
Nah, bruh. That's Striking Distance. Mercury Rising is the one with Bruce is a rogue Fed, Alec Baldwin is a black ops agent, and a kid is an Autistic kid who cracks an uncrackable code so Baldwin and his cronies are tracking him down while Bruce tries to save him from certain peril. It's the exact same movie but with Predators. And jokes. Seriously.

PS - You should really watch Striking Distance. it's a lot of fun.
By ScoJo
Mercury Rising sounds hella like a Renny Harlin joint.

It's probably a Renny Harlin joint.

I'm in, boots first.

I'm just off to check if it's a Renny Harlin joint, which it should be, if it isn't.

(it also sounds hella familiar...pretty sure I have actually already eaten that cheese...)
Last edited by ScoJo on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Mateo Sanboval
Harold Becker. Same dude who directed Sea of Love and The Boost, both of which I enjoy.

I wish Renny harlin would tell you to watch Striking Distance.

Which is a Rowdy Herrington joint. Director of Jack's Back and mother flippin' Road House.
By ScoJo
I love Rowdy Harlin joints.

Harold Becker is a proper director! Oh shit. On that like a cheap suit.
By skeletonbutt
This movie rules and it's tons of fun if you don't expect anything similar to the other predator movies. It's the type of horror/sci-fi/action/adventure/comedy movie that could have been made in the '80s but was filmed 30 years late. If it was made in the '80s, people would think it's a classic. My only gripe is the awful CGI blood and gore effects. They look terrible and it's so lazy to not just use practical effects.
By inksb
skeletonbutt wrote: My only gripe is the awful CGI blood and gore effects. They look terrible and it's so lazy to not just use practical effects.
This is always cited as a budgetary constraint. I call bullshit. There are always new and willing effects artists, there is no way that paying for a few days worth of shooting with them is that much of a difference than paying a "crack" team of digital effects artists. How about you take 500k out of the 20million you set aside for advertising and use it to make the film better. It's the fucking Predator, people are going to see it no matter what.

Sorry /practicaleffectsrant