A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By frost
I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Soundtrack wishlist on vinyl thread or in here but decided that I want to give more appreciation to the film in general.
If you haven't watched it, you should fill that gap:

The soundtrack is über awesome but seems to be deleted from Youtube unfortunately.
Here's the tracklist:

Roads - Performed by Portishead
Strangers - Performed by Portishead
Soon - My Bloody Valentine
Lose my Breath - My Bloody Valentine
In the Meantime - Space Hog
One Way to Go - The Verve

I even wrote a little review of the movie a while ago (sorry for the shameless self promotion) and you can read it here:
https://whicee.com/en/Nadja-1994-Tune-i ... -drop-dead
Not sure if it's worth anything. I don't give away much of the plot and it is basically just my praise of the movie.
By Mateo Sanboval
Holy smokes! I remember this flick! Wow. I'm going to try and dig up a copy.
By Hatter313
Ah the 90's revisionist vampire boom....some real gems in there. Habit, this...
By Little Walter
Hatter313 wrote:Ah the 90's revisionist vampire boom....some real gems in there. Habit, this...
Please name more gems. I've written them off after some . . . bad experiences.
By Hatter313
Hahahaha actually “gems” might end there, the other big one around the same time was the addiction, but I’m not a huge fan of that one really. Some other titles that pop up when those three come up are blood and donuts and jugular wine, neither of which I’ve seen. Not as art house as some others are innocent blood which is fiercely underrated and I guess throw cronos in there as well for good measure. Out of the indies that came then I really have to say Habit is one hell of a film.
By Mateo Sanboval
Little Walter wrote:
Hatter313 wrote:Ah the 90's revisionist vampire boom....some real gems in there. Habit, this...
Please name more gems. I've written them off after some . . . bad experiences.
Leaving out the big guns, there's still:
Innocent Blood (1992)
Cronos (1993)
The Addiction (1995)
The Night Flier (1997)
Vampires (1998)

Varying quality, but all of them worth at least one viewing. That's all I can think of at the moment.

PS - And a decent, yet unmistakably tv, UK miniseries called Ultra Violet.
By frost
These are some good recommendations that i haven't heard of yet. The only ones i've seen are the nightflier, which i definitely have to rewatch, and carpenter's vampires not worth rewatching.
Innocent blood and blood and donuts look like big fun and cronos is decent horror i guess. Not exactly sure what to make of the others but i will give them a try.
By ScoJo
Love Nadja and Innocent Blood. Intrigued by Habit (and all those other Fessenden movies tbh...)

David Lynch has a cameo in Nadja. I was big into Michael Almereyda back then, especially his early film Another Girl Another Planet, shot on a PixelVision toy camera. He also wrote script of one of my favourite 90s movies which nobody has every heard of, Search & Destroy. Torturro, Walken, Griffin Dunne...hilarious and truly bizarre. Almereyda has had an interesting career for sure.

Here's some further rec's for 90s vampire flicks, for the back burner:

Modern Vampires (98) - Another bonkers flick made by Richard (Forbidden Zone, brother of Danny) Elfman
Vampire in Brooklyn (95) - Wes Carven and Eddie Murphy? Oh, you know it's worth a watch. A stuntwoman famously died on this production, very sad but big wake up call for the industry apparently.
Tales from the Crypt: Bordello of Blood (95) - Ohh, not good. But if nothing else, it belongs firmly in the recent horror & boobs thread!
Blood Ties (91) - Good fun TV movie by director of Breathless/The Big Easy! Gets a 100% rating for revisionism (they're 'Carpathians', not vampires...)
Love Bites (93) - Vamp comedy with Adam Ant. From the 90s. It's every bit as 'good' as you think/hope it is.
By Mateo Sanboval
I like Bordello of Blood better than Demon Knight. There, I've said it.

PS - Love Bites!!
By ScoJo
frost wrote:Oh my, so much stuff to watch.
Regarding the score of Nadja, rumour has it that, accordng to the composer Simon Fisher Turner's twitter account, a new release might be on the way at Mute Records and hopefully on vinyl.
Here are some extracts:
https://boomkat.com/products/nadja
Ohh sweeeeeet!

Great composer, national (Brit) treasure.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote:Love Nadja and Innocent Blood. Intrigued by Habit (and all those other Fessenden movies tbh...)

David Lynch has a cameo in Nadja. I was big into Michael Almereyda back then, especially his early film Another Girl Another Planet, shot on a PixelVision toy camera. He also wrote script of one of my favourite 90s movies which nobody has every heard of, Search & Destroy. Torturro, Walken, Griffin Dunne...hilarious and truly bizarre. Almereyda has had an interesting career for sure.

Here's some further rec's for 90s vampire flicks, for the back burner:

Modern Vampires (98) - Another bonkers flick made by Richard (Forbidden Zone, brother of Danny) Elfman
Vampire in Brooklyn (95) - Wes Carven and Eddie Murphy? Oh, you know it's worth a watch. A stuntwoman famously died on this production, very sad but big wake up call for the industry apparently.
Tales from the Crypt: Bordello of Blood (95) - Ohh, not good. But if nothing else, it belongs firmly in the recent horror & boobs thread!
Blood Ties (91) - Good fun TV movie by director of Breathless/The Big Easy! Gets a 100% rating for revisionism (they're 'Carpathians', not vampires...)
Love Bites (93) - Vamp comedy with Adam Ant. From the 90s. It's every bit as 'good' as you think/hope it is.

Ok....So I keep thinking I should be able to dismiss Vampire in Brooklyn, but every time I watch it, i like it more and more. Murphy is really playing the role pretty straight, and i actually think its a pretty solid flick.
By Mateo Sanboval
I'll have to give ViB another try. I saw it as a pup, but don't remember a thing about it. Perhaps it was too nuanced for the head of a wee Mateo.
By EvanCampbell
I really need to check out Habit...you guys seem to rate it pretty high. I always meant to watch it but never got around to it. I remember working on Bordello of Blood either at the same time or slightly before From Dusk till Dawn. I recall thinking these are both the same type of movie...and basically piggy backing off of Vamp. I can't remember which one ended up getting released first but they were being made around the same time. One studio got pissed at me because I was moonlighting at another with these films.