A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Little Walter
So what, we're just not talking about IT?

I think, when it comes to reading King, the portrayal of bullying (from peers AND parents) always makes the novels relatable to me on a personal level. IT, the novel and this adaptation, did a fine job of showing the contrast of male and female bullying (from following home after school to slut-shaming), and showing the reader/audience just how equitable and terrible they can amount to. Obviously, they didn't take it as far in the film as King did in the book, but could they really, I mean, like, legally, could they?

SPOILERS:

Anyone else grin madly when the kid's arm got eaten off? I just thought, thank God, someone's doing this right.
By maxlevel
Apart from the crap spider, IT is probably in my top 5 all time films. We are going to see the new one this weekend... heard very good things and the clown looks innocent enough
By maxlevel
What. A. Film!!

I really loved the ending, it reminds me of Empire Strikes Back where you know what's about to happen in the next instalment and it's actually super dark.

And it didn't do what remakes always do, which is pander to the superfans. There's always the source material so it does have the similar elements and in some ways Tim Currys clown is darker, more racist, more into demoralising ridicule but the new clown is much more demented and driven less by taking the piss, than feeding itself. There's also a nightmare on elm street reference, the kids are 12/13 years old in 1988 and even one of the kids is from stranger things - this film knows what it's doing for the most part. The only cringe moment I found was a molly ringwald reference, not everything in the 80s was breakfast club related and it stuck out a little too far. It should be confident enough to not need such a blatant pop culture reference, its pretty great fun, dosnt need it.

Score was excellent also. I think Wallfisch has some involvement in Bladerunner but to what extent not sure
By ScoJo
I liked it too, but there's def a few problems in it for me. I won't mither on about them here though, cuz you know...who gives a shit, right?

On positive front, my favourite take away is Pennywise drooling. That alone really gave him a deeply troubling 'paedo' vibe for me. Even if I didn't find him scary/got kinda weary at the excessive use of 'shaky-running-at-the-camera' effects. (ok sorry, couldnt help myself haha!)
By Little Walter
ScoJo wrote:Oh, and the general standard of parenting in Derry fucking sucks man!
No shit, right? Derry folks need to lay off the Requiem for a Dream meds.
By ScoJo
Oh, and another positive (very much on point, given the venue here) is that Walfisch's score is most pleasingly Goldsmith-ey in parts. I wouldn't spring for the LP personally, but what he did worked very well in the movie/the Goonies/Stand by Me/Joe Dante 80s vibe.

The song choices, however, I will say did cause me some issues (oh gawdammit, I really can't help myself can I?? Haha....)
By Bezulsqy
We went to IT last night. Great flick. And I agree with ScoJo that there are some flaws. But overall highly entertaining and very well made. Especially the first half I found it to be very suspenseful (my girlfriend simply found it very scary). However during the last third it was a bit too much. Scares were not effective anymore. Too loud?
Ending was very nice. I forgot about the 27 years later part.
Can't remember the score and didn't mind the song choices :-)
But that kid with glasses got on my nerves very quickly with his 'your mother' skit. I can understand the stereotypes for all the personalities, but that could have been toned down a bit I think.

- on a very different note: they showed the trailers for American Assassin and Jigsaw before IT started. What a pile of bollocks those two films are going to be based on what I saw. AA is cliché on top of cliché. -
By deafmetal
Mateo Sanboval wrote:I liked It.

I'm so behind on movies. I still have not seen Dark Tower, It, or Mother! Hoping to catch Blade Runner next weekend though.