A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
I am starting a new thread for the BR because I dont want to derail the Suspiria soundtrack thread that you can find here: http://www.spintheblackestcircles.com/b ... 866#p97866
Spun out of control wrote: I also saw news today of another blu ray release that is 4K UHD and UK friendly from Cult Films
A lot has been said and written about the 4K BR releases for this movie. But me being late to the party as usual am only now discovering all the ruckus.
Most opinions can be found on the Blu-ray.com forum.

Here is my synopsis with no further judgment of what is true or who has it right.

Synapse got the chance to release their version for the US-market. The company in Italy with the negatives didn't want to send the negatives over to the US but insisted on making a scan.
That scan was in bad shape (or the negatives were in bad shape, hence a scan of bad negatives). Synapse started restoration under supervision of SUSPIRIA Director of Photography, Luciano Tovoli.

The scan made by the Italian company was also used for an Italian 4K BR release. I am guessing that the Cult Films version is the same one as that Italian version.

That means there are going to be at least 3 4K BR releases (I am thinking there is also a German one?). All 3 use the same scan, but the Synapse US version have restored the contents of that scan under supervision of Tivoli and the European version have not.

Sources:
Interview with Synapse's Don May Jr:
https://rue-morgue.com/fantasia-17-excl ... -suspiria/

44 pages of Blu-ray.com noise:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=287388

Synapse 4K BR version: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Suspiria-Blu-ray/36024/
Italian 4K BR: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Suspiria-Blu-ray/173909/

And then there is this thread with 269 (!) pages I didn't bother with anymore:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php ... 1&page=269
By Mateo Sanboval
That sums it up nicely. Couple that with lots of first hand reports of how stunning the Synapse looks on big screens (I'll be seeing it myself in October) and I think that seems like the choice for me. For now. Until it isn't.
By Bezulsqy
My Suspiria BR shipped from Diabolic DVD!
Recently I bought a second hand player for 20 euro that should be region free. Very curious to see if it is indeed.
Have to wait to enjoy the full 4K experience though. Will take a long time before I get a TV and compatible BR-player upgrade...
By 334578rpm
Bezulsqy wrote:My Suspiria BR shipped from Diabolic DVD!
Recently I bought a second hand player for 20 euro that should be region free. Very curious to see if it is indeed.
Have to wait to enjoy the full 4K experience though. Will take a long time before I get a TV and compatible BR-player upgrade...
Mine just got delivered this afternoon. No time tonight, but I'll be finding time to gibe it a watch tomorrow!
By Mateo Sanboval
Whoa, what? It started out at $50 which was already pretty steep by anyone's measure, but in line with Synapse's pricing on other Argento restorations.
By Bezulsqy
I don't think that is right. I paid 52 excluding shipping at DiabolikDVD. I think Synapse themselves had it for around 50.
By Hatter313
That thread on Blu-ray.com is awful. Mine is arriving today from synapse and I’m happy to NEVER go on there again haha.

And yeah @texas, synapse is low stock now, you may have to call them directly to see if they have any left
By Hatter313
It's here, it's actually here....phew that felt exhausting.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote:It's here, it's actually here....phew that felt exhausting.
Still waiting on mine. What an Odyssey this has been.
By Hatter313
I will happily never go on that accursed thread again.

@mateo, it’s a great package, as much as I like the new art they did for it, the slip cover with the classic key art is fantastic. The whole package truly feels worthy of the film, if I may indulge in some lofty praise (I’ve recently arrived home from my company’s holiday/15th anniversary party so I’m a bit chatty tonight) it’s simply and all around triumph, can’t wait to actually give the damn thing a watch this weekend either.

Also, yet another copy of the soundtrack to add to the collection....you know, in case I want to listen to it more than once :)
By Bezulsqy
And now they release a true UHD 4K version...
pfff
Well I still don't have a UHD player and the current version cost enough for me to get to Europe. I cannot be bothered with this one. Although the atmos mix leaves me curious.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:58 am And now they release a true UHD 4K version...
pfff
Well I still don't have a UHD player and the current version cost enough for me to get to Europe. I cannot be bothered with this one. Although the atmos mix leaves me curious.
Yeah, I feel the same, the steelbook was costly to get here and I'll likely not upgrade. That said the BR they put out looks damn amazing, I wonder how much better the UHD can look.
By Bezulsqy
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:55 am
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:58 am And now they release a true UHD 4K version...
pfff
Yeah, I feel the same, the steelbook was costly to get here and I'll likely not upgrade. That said the BR they put out looks damn amazing, I wonder how much better the UHD can look.
I agree. The quality of that BR + up-scaling capabilities of recent UHD tvs probably will make the difference with the new UHD BR extremely small.
By static14
The synapse br of Suspiria looks stunning So I’m all in on the 4K UHD. The big difference between theirs and the European releases will be HDR. Synapse will have HDR. :)
By Bezulsqy
static14 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:17 am The synapse br of Suspiria looks stunning So I’m all in on the 4K UHD. The big difference between theirs and the European releases will be HDR. Synapse will have HDR. :)
I have the Synapse BR. and it looks stunning. The only difference this version has is that it is in UHD in stead of 1080p and: All-new Dolby Atmos Remix and High Dynamic Range Presentation

I love HDR, but this is too much a costly upgrade for me.

edit -

there more I read about this, the more I want it :-)
By inksb
Yeah......I don't want to but I know I will buy this. I just wish I had patience with the first release and not bought the $55 steelbook the moment it went on sale. Oh well, it's a cool collectible. I'm really excited to see what Don has done with the HDR, a few years ago he was pretty apprehensive about it and to see him support it and finally take the step into UHD makes me happy.
By Hatter313
i hesitated fr about 5 seconds...if anything is going to take advantage of HDR, its Suspiria.
By Bezulsqy
That didn't take long. I bought it through DiabolikDVD. There it is $8 cheaper than directly from Synapse... And at Synapse it is stated they have a discount:
PECIAL SYNAPSE-FILMS.COM PRE-ORDER PRICE FOR A LIMITED TIME! $44.95 (25% OFF RETAIL PRICE UNTIL OCTOBER 15, 2019)! SYNAPSE-FILMS.COM’S PRICE WILL ADJUST TO THE FULL $59.95 SUGGESTED RETAIL ON THE ABOVE DATE, SO ORDER NOW!
Don't understand. Anyways. Including shipping it set me back $51.
By NathanLurker
I dunno. It might be because I haven't yet seen HDR movies (I got the 4K TV but not the player, so I have not seen the 4K discs I do own , I just watch the included blu ray in the meantime) but I feel like that price range is not the price range I want to buy movies at. I picked up the blu ray from synapse a while ago, I'll stick with that. I'd be happy to pick up a copy of a 4k disc of suspiria for around 30$cad. Halloween 2018 4K is currently at 25$Cad, battle Angle is at 29 cad.. and while I understand that cult movies are not the same as mainstream blockbusters, from a budget point of view, I'll pass on this for now.
By inksb
NathanLurker wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:17 pm I dunno. It might be because I haven't yet seen HDR movies (I got the 4K TV but not the player, so I have not seen the 4K discs I do own , I just watch the included blu ray in the meantime) but I feel like that price range is not the price range I want to buy movies at. I picked up the blu ray from synapse a while ago, I'll stick with that. I'd be happy to pick up a copy of a 4k disc of suspiria for around 30$cad. Halloween 2018 4K is currently at 25$Cad, battle Angle is at 29 cad.. and while I understand that cult movies are not the same as mainstream blockbusters, from a budget point of view, I'll pass on this for now.
You definitely get the short end of the stick being in the north country when it comes to pricing on blurays. Honestly the price isn't nearly as bad as I had imagined it would be, a new release UHD is generally $30, this is currently $37 through diabolikdvd. The steelbook bluray was $50 when it came out so in comparison it's price is decent. I'm still up in the air about pre-ordering it as there is no way Don over at Synapse is going to make this limited, he's put way too much money into it not to profit off of it as long as possible. So I may hold off until next year and see if there's a price cut.