A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By deafmetal
ScoJo wrote:It was sure sad when Catherine Coulson and Miguel Ferrer appeared - though a great and fitting tribute to both that they filmed their parts before they died.
Agreed, very bittersweet.
I don't know how spoiler-y we can be in this thread so I'll leave the details out and say that, through episode 4, I am really enjoying myself. The digital filming and some of the CGI have not been my favorites, but they're easily overshadowed by so much of the good. There has only been one celebrity cameo that pulled me out of the show, but, even then, I was laughing by the end of their scene. Some of the STBC-dubbed "WTF" will have to pay off for me if not in detail, than in tone. And God help me I love taking that ride with Lynch. Atmosphere and aesthetic are often more important to me than exposition. Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive rewarded me for every minute I spent with them and Inland Empire...well...it did not. Here's hoping that TP3 is a whole lot of the former and a whole little of the latter.
Last edited by Mateo Sanboval on Wed May 24, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
By lazyben
Mr mateo, it does feel somewhere in between lost highway and inland empire so far. I'm with you in hoping for more of the former than the latter. Inland empire was heavy going for me and I'm a big lynch fan, I somehow talked the missus into watching it with me the first time I watched it, that did not go well..."so what's with the rabbit stuff?"..."er, I have no idea"...etc.

What it doesn't really feel like too often is twin peaks as it's way further off the reservation than the original series ever went even at its most bizarre. This is not necessarily a bad thing, just a different thing so far but I am looking forward to spending a bit more time in twin peaks itself at some point in the future episodes (I hope).

I've watched the first 4 episodes which is going to feel like a mistake if they don't release any more this weekend. It seems odd for the streaming to be ahead of the broadcast.
By Hatter313
I think the reason they added these extra 2 was this upcoming weekend is Memorial Day weekend in the US, so a lot of people will probably be away. If you've watched the first 4, it will be June 4 before the new one is up.

I've watched them twice now and @mateo...regarding THAT cameo...and I have no doubt that I'm guessing correctly, I think ANY other show, ANY other director and that would have been inexcusable, but with this....ok fine. Also I think the fact that the character he is talking to is just as eye rolling-ly annoyed as us makes it kind of great.

As for not feeling twin peaksish sometimes, I think the minImal scoring thus far is part of that, but i think everything IN town feels right to me. I also think that as he gets closer it will feel more and more, as even by episode 4 it was in almost full classic territory. Especially the scene in the station conference room, my favorite scene of the new series thus far.

Man we really need a spoiler thread, that was a bit of a challenge
Hatter313 wrote:I think the reason they added these extra 2 was this upcoming weekend is Memorial Day weekend in the US, so a lot of people will probably be away. If you've watched the first 4, it will be June 4 before the new one is up.

I've watched them twice now and @mateo...regarding THAT cameo...and I have no doubt that I'm guessing correctly, I think ANY other show, ANY other director and that would have been inexcusable, but with this....ok fine. Also I think the fact that the character he is talking to is just as eye rolling-ly annoyed as us makes it kind of great.

As for not feeling twin peaksish sometimes, I think the minImal scoring thus far is part of that, but i think everything IN town feels right to me. I also think that as he gets closer it will feel more and more, as even by episode 4 it was in almost full classic territory. Especially the scene in the station conference room, my favorite scene of the new series thus far.

Man we really need a spoiler thread, that was a bit of a challenge
Fair point on the cameo, Hatter, and, like I said, I was laughing by the end. Also, as yourself, Static, and others have noted, episodes 3 and 4 really help fill out the frame and clue the viewer in on what to expect from this series. More of that TP humor that had lasting resonance with its audience.
By deafmetal
Wally fuckin' Brando. Hahaha, wtf. Agreed that Lynch gets a free pass on cameos like that, but similar to the sheriff, I could barely believe what I was seeing.

The best news so far is that Jamie is totally hooked, and I should be able to keep up on the episodes now. Stoked to have new episodes to look forward to.
deafmetal wrote:Wally fuckin' Brando. Hahaha, wtf. Agreed that Lynch gets a free pass on cameos like that, but similar to the sheriff, I could barely believe what I was seeing.

The best news so far is that Jamie is totally hooked, and I should be able to keep up on the episodes now. Stoked to have new episodes to look forward to.
I knew you'd dig it, baby. My missus and I are likewise looking forward to a new installment this weekend.
By Hatter313
I've been listening to that "Trouble" track from the end of last weeks episode on loop all day, its awesome. Sacred Bones is putting out a 7" and i really hope that they put more music out. It's Lynch's son and they definitely have a similar ear.

Also last nights episode was a ride...whoo boy.
I dig that Trouble track, but what irks me is their choice of band name.

You think they would at least google the name to make sure it wasn't already in use.

There is a well known doom band Trouble that has been active since 1979.
By Hatter313
yeah good point, you would think that naming your band something so simple would make you assume that someone had already done it by now.
By ScoJo
Re: Trouble

I think it's pretty much moot tbh, as it seems from the press release that this is likely a 'one-time' thing.

Also, it does happen all the time tbh - Nirvana, Pentagram, Genesis.....there's a pretty healthy list of them.
I'm completely on board with this show now, by the bye. It's full strange now and I'm laughing aloud several times an episode. The music has been great. The Johnny Jewel cut, Windsept, from the end credits of episode 5/opening credits of episode 6 is an ear worm. I don't listen to much Sharon Van Etten, but her performance at the Roadhouse in episode 6 was excellent, too.
Last edited by Mateo Sanboval on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By lazyben
I'm with you Mateo, utterly loving this now after a slow start.

I decided I was missing some context so after episode 4 I went back and watched all of the first two seasons, fire walk with me and most of the extras in the complete mystery blu box. It had been a while, especially for fire walk with me which I don't think I'd ever bothered to watch again after it came out. And of course fire walk with me provides so much of the context for this new season.

I then started back at the beginning of the new season and it made a lot more sense although there's still a lot of wtf moments. The pacing is absolutely audacious, taking 4 or 5 episodes for each tiny plot moment to finally reappear and resolve or move forward. There is indeed much comedy although I'm glad I don't have to explain why I'm laughing out loud to anyone. The acting is largely excellent and Kyle Mclachlan is doing a splendid job with his dual (briefly triple) role even though one of them has mainly consisted of looking confused or lost for hours. And the music is good although definitely a step away from the original show.

I have no idea what's going to happen, who half the characters are or when that golden shovel I ordered will arrive but bring on the rest.
By ScoJo
@Lazyben -

Glad you're digging it chap. Round these parts, the regular Tues evening meet of the Birmingham Twin Peaks Chapter is pretty much the highlight of my week right now.

And fully agree - a refresh of FWWM especially but also the 2nd season is almost mandatory in my book. I haven't watched FWWM for oh about ten years I'd say, and about halfway through episode 7 (with Harry Dean etc) I was having weird flashbacks/recovered memories to the FWWM prologue without really understanding the significance - I flipped my lid when I saw the numbers on the telegraph pole and made that connection :O we had to go back and watch it afterwards to 'kindof' piece things together. My friends were really impressed by my recall, but tbh I must have seen the movie about a dozen times back in the day. (I remember describing it to a friend at the time as "practically a white paper on sexual abuse".)

Btw, I'm really enjoying both the song contributions and the new music score - there are some truly lovely (and distinctly TP-ian) recurring themes emerging. Great work.
By Hatter313
Hahahaha me too! Overall I really loved it, and I really think this thing is meant to be watched as a movie, in context that will all be very impactful I think. As an episode it was potentially a plot stall, but ok it's own it may have been one of the best things he's ever done....explosions not withstanding.
By Hatter313
That girl is Sarah palmer, you heard it here first.
By deafmetal
Last episode on July 16th (spoilers):
-
-
-
-
-
Last warning!

Delirious with full-on crawling skin when Director Gordon opens the hotel room door... many powerful moments in this episode. Also, enjoyed the scene with Hawk and the Log Lady on the phone. Darkness descends...

Also, spot Moby on stage with with Rebekah Del Rio? This show is just on another level, and I look forward to returning to Lodge again soon, hopefully next week.
By Hatter313
every week I am in awe that this show actually exists. It's so consistently unexpected.

It almost operates as a culmination for Lynch's entire career. Thematically, visually, its manner of story telling, the kind of story it is, etc.
MINOR SPOILERS

I know parts of it have put people off, and dougie can be a challenge, although as of this week, I think I realize why tnhas to be this way. Coop can't fully return too early, otherwise what would he do. This season, HE is the real mystery. People have waited 27 years to find out what happened to him, it would be a let down if that was fully answered a few episodes in.