A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

I cannot bring myself to read wild Internet theories, but I am genuinely interested in hearing what folks here think. I have some developing opinions today, but I'm still marinating.
By deafmetal
Anybody else get a "Dark Tower" vibe from the ending? I know I am keyed-in to that specific story, but just looking at Cooper struggling through that journey in Ep 18 was pushing those buttons for me.

Do we all become trapped by our own lives? 8

ps
NIN
Trouble
Rebekah Del Rio/Julee Cruise currently tied?

I need to watch them all again. Once the music started, Jamie would often throw her hands up in frustration and begin the "post-episode discussion", but I just wanted to hear the music! She has no patience for most of the Lynchian shoegazing, unfortunately...
PS -
Julee Cruise
Cactus Blossoms
Trouble

With an honorable mention to Au Revoir Simone who I'd never listened to, but enjoyed immensely.
*CUE SPOILERS, PREDICTABLY*

Walking backward from the last moment, I hear Laura Palmer bellow between two worlds, see David Bowie as an industrial tea kettle spew two triangles into the air that malign into an infinity symbol, and hear Dale say, as though above the world, "We live in a dream." What's not to understand?
By ScoJo
Guys, enjoying your answers to the day's Pop Quiz, thanks.

I couldn't help but think, during the end music performances, and since I've experience with shooting stuff, how much fun it must have been to be an extra for those days shooting! Probably all done in a block, and with the extras being thrown into different costumes/rotated for each band. But basically....one long awesome show featuring some amazing Lynchian bands! (Though I gotta admit, I myself yakked through Eddie Vedor, not ma thang y'all...)

SO: HUGE SPOILERS BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we all agree on the following perhaps? (if nothing else in the proceeding 16 hours!):

Cooper, returning to the Black Lodge and, through his experiences/trials between the two realms, was able to access a portal to the day/place of Laura's death and save her. Then, in the 'real' world, he's compelled to illuminate her on the life which she would have lived/died (and actually did, in that reality). He finds a Laura who has changed her name and re-located with seemingly no memory of her real past (kinda Lost Highway style - she is in a Psychogenic Fugue, and has created an entirely alternate personality and memories....and like Bill Pullman also appears to be a bit of a murderer!) Feeling he must re-unite her with mother they travel to the childhood home, and the schism which occurs from this gives her a immediate and total recall of her entire sad, tortured past - which (understandably) brings forth a patented Laura Primal Scream.

?
Last edited by ScoJo on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
frozeneyeball wrote:SPOILERS AHEAD!

I came across a very interesting theory when scouring twitter for answers last night.

https://twitter.com/NBwriter/status/904817809624096768
Excellent. I'm not sure I agree with all of this, but I definitely like the final episode is out of sequence with the rest of the series bits. For a while I thought it could have been the beginning of something new, but after talking it through with Mrs Sanboval, she also thought it occurred before the events of season 3, but after season 2. I'm not sure about all of the other intricacies, but I will be!

PS - I love this shit.
. . . and Laura's scream, in episode 17, after she seems pried from Dale's hand while he leads her from the woods, a glimpse of the scream in the dream she would have by morning?

Wonderful and strange.
By chiefbrody
I'm with you @lazyben

I'm glad I spent a large chunk of time re-watching Twin Peaks and then watching The Return this year. I found The Return to be one of the most thought-provoking shows (or films) I've seen. It was also one of the most challenging, both in terms of trying to make some sort of sense out of it, but also testing patience. How I felt about these deliberate choices to challenge the audience to give up/not give up tended to depend on my own mood at the time of watching. I found it more of an emotional journey than one I could make literal sense out of, and I normally reject the cop out of 'it's the journey not the destination' as it's usually just an excuse for bad writing.

I've been reading up online since the finale, and I think some fan theories are fun, and some help make sense, but others go WAY too far. I spent ages reading something on numerology and dissecting use of left hands, right hands, etc. Some of it made sense, but I couldn't bring myself to believing that every time someone blinked 3 times or crossed their right leg over their left, that this was a deliberate and symbolic decision.

I largely have no idea what much of it was about, or for, but I do intend on watching again, as I think they'll be a lot more to pick up on second time around. And I'll be watching for any suspicious left hand movements!
chiefbrody wrote: I've been reading up online since the finale, and I think some fan theories are fun, and some help make sense, but others go WAY too far. I spent ages reading something on numerology and dissecting use of left hands, right hands, etc. Some of it made sense, but I couldn't bring myself to believing that every time someone blinked 3 times or crossed their right leg over their left, that this was a deliberate and symbolic decision.
I couldn't agree more, Chief. I find this kind of thing endlessly fascinating (I read a several pages long thread about deciphering the code sequence of the disappearing plane windows in episode 7 and, guess what? No one figured it out), but ultimately they are meaningless. Lynch's fascination with numerology is a deep part of the Twin Peaks mythology, but figuring out the 10s and 20s will only unlock Easter eggs or add small points of clarity. It won't give people closure. Lynch doesn't do that. Really ever.

Probably the most salient thing I read about this series was that, as explained in the finale eps, Judy was a modern colloquialism for Jiao Dai. Jiao Dai, when translated, is defined as 'to explain' or 'give meaning to'. So everyone in the series, including us viewers, are running around looking for Judy, for meaning, all the while Philip Jeffries is standing there bold as daylight telling everyone, "We're not gonna talk about Judy at all!" I got a big kick out of that.
By chiefbrody
I never even picked up on that @mateo. It's details like that that are going to make watching it later even more enjoyable.

If it's an 18 hour movie, it makes sense that you wouldn't watch it across 15 weeks or whatever. That's not how you'd watch The Godfather, in 15 minute segments - The Return is so rich in detail, it was made for bingeing.
By maxlevel
Just finally watched the ending two episodes, wow! Ive been chewing it over and i think most of it is distraction. The beautiful moments in these worlds are the coffee, the happy ending for Dougie, the donuts, the little pleasures among the sometimes horrific circumstances we are dragged and forced into watching. Like classic Hollywood movies we have endless pauses and breaks while we dance around and flick in and out of plot like a bad attention span like when you're watching a great movie and the adverts break up the tension so you can go and consume. There's endless plot lines, literally, there's even the mighty cliffhanger who's history dates back to the birth of film drama itself. Its all an exploration of film, and like all Lynch stuff, film as a dream.

Its about what's important and the different levels of that. Cooper is the state, righteous and endearing, he ultimately sacrifices himself to save Laura by hopping dimensions. Its his purpose. But right down to the coffee, he knows what's important. Bob just wants to find Judy, he's a shadow looking for meaning and he doesn't waste time with anything.

Once Laura is removed from the timeline, her doppelgänger is removed, cooper cannot exist there. He saves the original Laura by hopping dimensions with her but it makes no sense to him, its not his or her dimension. And so the original Laura screams to wake herself up, and destroys the dream world. But ultimately its a paradox, if she's not dead cooper can't save her and so she must die, caught in a loop for all time.

Never seen anything like it before. Time for a coffee
By Hatter313
He's been a lot of places....

Roger ebert once said something to the effect that any movie with Harry dean stanton or m emmet Walsh in supporting roles couldn't be all bad, and while Walsh occasionally showed up in a stinker or two, Stanton was ALWAYS the best part of any scene he was in. I've yet to see lucky, but from what I've heard a posthumous oscar may not be out of the question.
When I was a much younger man, and before the World Wide Web was truly useful for such things, I had many a book on the subject of film and its relative merits. One such book was a "Guide To Cult Cinema" and among it's opening pages was a key with several pictographic symbols meant to help one find a style and grade of movie quickly when perusing the tome's index of film titles next to which these little pictures would appear. A Black Lagoon-esque figure meant it was a creature feature. A flying saucer, aliens. And so on. Anyhow, the very last of the fifty-odd symbols in said key was the bust, in profile, of an angular, unshaven fellow with hair like loose straw and the words next to it simply read, "Harry Dean Stanton."

That book was written over twenty five years ago and HDS was already in a category unto himself.
By Hatter313
@mateo.....That's the best damn thing I've heard in a while