A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
@Revolver I think you are being too kind to 5 & 6, the new one is miles better than both of those as well. I bought Halloween 4 for $5 on Amazon last week so I'm going to watch that soon. The new one is comfortably the 4th best Halloween film for me at the moment (this could change after viewing 4) and I need to rewatch part 2 as I've never been a huge fan but I'm giving that the number 3 slot as I remember it being pretty entertaining and scary at times. I have read some pretty negative things on line about this one and it blows my mind, it's not a perfect film but a decent slasher with a bad ass lead in Jamie Lee that has some great little throwbacks and is briskly paced while being entertaining the entire run time. The amount of criticism leveled at this in comparison to every other Halloween is so strange. Halloween ('79) is a minor master piece, it is also a very basic film that is elevated by a great score and excellent directing, but if that movie came out today people would scoff at it and say it sucks.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote:@Revolver I think you are being too kind to 5 & 6, the new one is miles better than both of those as well. I bought Halloween 4 for $5 on Amazon last week so I'm going to watch that soon. The new one is comfortably the 4th best Halloween film for me at the moment (this could change after viewing 4) and I need to rewatch part 2 as I've never been a huge fan but I'm giving that the number 3 slot as I remember it being pretty entertaining and scary at times. I have read some pretty negative things on line about this one and it blows my mind, it's not a perfect film but a decent slasher with a bad ass lead in Jamie Lee that has some great little throwbacks and is briskly paced while being entertaining the entire run time. The amount of criticism leveled at this in comparison to every other Halloween is so strange. Halloween ('79) is a minor master piece, it is also a very basic film that is elevated by a great score and excellent directing, but if that movie came out today people would scoff at it and say it sucks.
HALLOWEEN (1978)
HALLOWEEN III (1982)
HALLOWEEN (2018)
HALLOWEEN II (1981)

Everything else is dogshit/cash-in. Which H2 is to a great extent, tbh, but at least it was shot by Cundey, written by a drunken Carpenter/Hill, and scored by the Horror Master (sorta - most of the heavy lifting by Howarth).

Where do Rob Zombie's films come in this ranking? I don't know, you tell me - I have neither seen, nor ever want to see, them. I'll take your word for it ;-)
By Hatter313
If I include 3 in my ranking I think we are in agreement. I think I like 2 better than this one, but I’m not sure as I haven’t watched 2 yet this year, so I need to ruminate on it, but it absolutely goes in one of the top 5 slots for me.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote:If I include 3 in my ranking I think we are in agreement. I think I like 2 better than this one, but I’m not sure as I haven’t watched 2 yet this year, so I need to ruminate on it, but it absolutely goes in one of the top 5 slots for me.
Cool beans, I know a lot of fans like H2 way more than me- I didnt rewatch it properly until a few years ago tbh (since seeing as a yoot....) I've never been much of a horror sequel/franchise sorta guy. Pretty much agree with William Goldman- sequels are whores movies. But I've come to like a lot of the NoES sequels especially. F13ths are mostly good goofy fun (but then F13 was no masterpiece to begin with!) and I like the Halloween films (beyond III) least of all. The money guys behind those films are BS munchers!
One day soon Im gonna post up my uber-ranking of all three series mashed together- from rewatching EVERYTHING in random order over the Summer. Im almost there- just a couple more to go, and of course now I can slot in H '18 !! :-D

Come on... WHO WANTS IT??
By inksb
@scojo I would love to see that super ranking. I can pretty much do it off the top of my head but would want to rewatch a few films through out all of them just to double check my ranking. I watched F13 part V this summer and my opinion has definitely changed on that one. I used to despise it but honestly found the sleazy nature of it and weird moments oddly entertaining.

HALLOWEEN (1978)
HALLOWEEN III (1982)
HALLOWEEN II (1981) - this may move down after re-watch
HALLOWEEN (2018)
HALLOWEEN IV

way down here are the other ones
Rob Zombies H2 - Directors Cut
H5
H6
H20
Rob Zombies Halloween (this may be better than the three above but I haven't seen it since the DVD came out)

Resurrection
By ScoJo
inksb wrote:@scojo I would love to see that super ranking. I can pretty much do it off the top of my head but would want to rewatch a few films through out all of them just to double check my ranking. I watched F13 part V this summer and my opinion has definitely changed on that one. I used to despise it but honestly found the sleazy nature of it and weird moments oddly entertaining.

HALLOWEEN (1978)
HALLOWEEN III (1982)
HALLOWEEN II (1981) - this may move down after re-watch
HALLOWEEN (2018)
HALLOWEEN IV

way down here are the other ones
Rob Zombies H2 - Directors Cut
H5
H6
H20
Rob Zombies Halloween (this may be better than the three above but I haven't seen it since the DVD came out)

Resurrection

Haha, Resurrection's 'barrel-scraper' placement made me LOL ;)

I'm almost ready with my 'One Horror Franchise List to Rule Them All'.... I think there's just one F13 movie to do, and the aforementioned barrel-scraper (which I have very little enthusiasm for attempting frankly, but hey - life is long!)
By Hatter313
I remember when you started noodling that idea, it inspired me to maybe doing all three franchises in release order myself, as it would be an interesting way to watch and see the evolution fo the 80's slasher.

DO NOT WATCH RESURRECTION. just put it at the bottom of your ultimate list as it deserves, trust me on this sir. As someone who is on the opposite side of the H20 discussion as you, i'm telling you not even my love of 90's dimension stye horror can overcome the awfulness of that movie. If i can't dig it, you my friend will only cause yourself pain.

As far as ranking for this franchise, i think i'm going to go with this right now (and including H3 and Zombie's in here, which i don't usually do) Annotated where needed:

Halloween - No comment needed

Halloween 3 - If this didn't carry the Halloween moniker, it would be rightfully recognized as a unique masterpiece. not on the same level as Halloween, but inspired fun, unbeatable score, and pits O'Herlihy against Atkins as a match for the ages.

Halloween (2018) - A triumphant return of the old school slasher, heavy on atmosphere, great call-backs, a new score by the master and a welcome installment in a storied franchise. i may decide to place Halloween 2 above it, but right now i'm having a hard time not loving what I saw.

Halloween 2 - Some of the best Loomis moments, genuinely frightening, and intensely moves the story forward in way that may not have been needed, but isn't entirely unwelcome.

Halloween 4 - Derivative, unnecessary, rushed, dated, and a whole lot of fun! Loomis shines and Pleasance makes this movie a joy to watch even if it feels more like later slashers than a halloween film.

Halloween: H20 - A controversial placement, but a solid performance from Curtis and some decent moments keep this one high up for me, also its short as hell and never drags, which i can't say for some other installments

Halloween 6: Producers cut/Theatrical cut - I like this one a little more than part 5 because it's got some nice atmosphere having actually been filmed in the fall and it's Pleasance's swan song as Loomis. Its not good, but it has a few good moments

Halloween 5 - Cleary the producers didn't know where tog after the ending to 4, also this movie is boring and nothing happens for long stretches of time. Watch for Loomis, nothing else. (and good god but Tina is one of the most annoying characters in horror history)

RZ H2 DC - a movie that fails in every imaginable way, but does it with such style effort, and love that i can't dismiss it entirely. there's no one to root for, its ugly and uncompromising in its grind house vision, and I really think he wanted it to be something special. I wonder if its this ties to the source material hold it back, and would it have stood better truly on its own without any of the baggage. The director's cut is a superior film, but it still suffers from bloat and an excess of excess.

RZ Halloween - The only modern horror remake that still gets talked about in any way. there's a lot to be said about this one, some of it good, a lot of it bad. The ways in which it cheapens the unknown primal force of The Shape is it's biggest flaw, but not its only one by far.

Halloween Resurrection - This movie is awful, its dated, cliched, poorly lit, badly acted, and the LEAST offensive part of it is Busta fighting Michael... let me repeat, that is the LEAST objectionable part of this waste of time. It's the only one I never watch, i'll even throw 5 or 6 on in the background when i'm doing my annual marathon, but this one just never gets played.
By Revolver_OcelScott
inksb wrote:@Revolver I think you are being too kind to 5 & 6, the new one is miles better than both of those as well. I bought Halloween 4 for $5 on Amazon last week so I'm going to watch that soon. The new one is comfortably the 4th best Halloween film for me at the moment (this could change after viewing 4) and I need to rewatch part 2 as I've never been a huge fan but I'm giving that the number 3 slot as I remember it being pretty entertaining and scary at times. I have read some pretty negative things on line about this one and it blows my mind, it's not a perfect film but a decent slasher with a bad ass lead in Jamie Lee that has some great little throwbacks and is briskly paced while being entertaining the entire run time. The amount of criticism leveled at this in comparison to every other Halloween is so strange. Halloween ('79) is a minor master piece, it is also a very basic film that is elevated by a great score and excellent directing, but if that movie came out today people would scoff at it and say it sucks.
I grade the films on a different level personally. Mainly because 1-6 (minus 3) all serve the same storyline in a way, even when not that great.(1>2>3>4>6>H2018>H20>5>H1R>Ressurection>H2R) is my personal order, but obviously everyone has their opinions.
By inksb
Interesting ranking @revolver like you said it's all personal preference.
I am curious, have you watch Zombies H2 directors cut? or is that based on the theatrical? I'm honestly surprised that it's below Resurrection.
By Revolver_OcelScott
inksb wrote:Interesting ranking @revolver like you said it's all personal preference.
I am curious, have you watch Zombies H2 directors cut? or is that based on the theatrical? I'm honestly surprised that it's below Resurrection.
The only reason I gave H2R a lower score is because I was bored beyond belief, Ressurection was god awful, but to the point of absurdly funny. H2R is the only Halloween film I haven't seen in theaters since H6, because I disliked the original remake so much. I bet if I watched both again recently I might change my mind, but even owning the deluxe box set, I doubt I'll watch em again. I'm pretty sure it was the directors cut.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote:*looks around*

That Mateo guy...the nerve. Always wantin' wolfen n' shit
ScoJo wrote:The worst.
Y'know, I'm not even really mad. Just...just disappointed.

PS - I just watched Halloween 2018.
By EvanCampbell
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
Hatter313 wrote:*looks around*

That Mateo guy...the nerve. Always wantin' wolfen n' shit
ScoJo wrote:The worst.
Y'know, I'm not even really mad. Just...just disappointed.

PS - I just watched Halloween 2018.
What did you think?...I have not seen it but because of you folks I will check it out.
By Mateo Sanboval
It was good. Some things hit and others missed. Now that I've acclimated to it, I'd like to see it again. I think that'll solidify my feelings. Until then, I'd reserve further judgement and recommend it to fellow enthusiasts.