A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
Tickets booked: Midnight screening tomorrow. Ffs, I am so ready for this.
1.jpg
1.jpg (367.54 KiB) Viewed 4139 times
By inksb
I am all booked up for the next few days but I just bought my tickets for 11:30 AM on Sunday. I can't fucking wait. Any of you going to listen to the score before the film or are you waiting?
By NathanLurker
Waiting. actually, waiting to pick up a copy of the vinyl at my local store, they don't have it in stock yet, so, I'll probably be able to watch the movie before.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote:I am all booked up for the next few days but I just bought my tickets for 11:30 AM on Sunday. I can't fucking wait. Any of you going to listen to the score before the film or are you waiting?
I've been spinning it all day....I love listening to scores before seeing the movie, have done since I was a kid :D

Come on, midnight!!!! Mcbride, Gordon-Green, don't fuck this up boys...

(And I ain't sayin' nuffin' about either the record or the film, lips sealed until we're all on the same page...)

*fist bumps*
By Hatter313
Tomorrow night at 745, i'm ready!

Unfortunately I had to cancel my plans to see the original and H20 in a double feature on Tuesday (I know ScoJo will think it a blessing for the second half of the bill haha) due to work, but it'll all be made up for by tomorrow night hopefully.

I do wish there was a way to have Loomis, but i'm thrilled for it nonetheless.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote:
I do wish there was a way to have Loomis...

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Unfortunately I had to cancel my plans to see the original and H20 in a double feature on Tuesday (I know ScoJo will think it a blessing for the second half of the bill haha)
Hey brother, you get your 90s horror on, no judgement here! :D
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote:
Hatter313 wrote:
I do wish there was a way to have Loomis...

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, no, not that, for sure not that. I didn't mind it all in rogue one and and was a cool idea that had all the blessing in the world from Cushing's estate, but it was also in a glossy SFX laden fantasy movie so it wasn't all that incongruous. Definitely don't want that to be the norm.
By Mateo Sanboval
I won't see this until Tuesday so I'm likely going to have to put this thread on timeout until then.

And no talking about me while I'm gone!
By Hatter313
*looks around*

That Mateo guy...the nerve. Always wantin' wolfen n' shit
By Hatter313
Well I don’t know about the rest of you but I was quite pleased.

I need to simmer a bit on it before I assign a ranking, but a solid sequel with some great moments.
By ScoJo
I had a great time at the moving pictures. Praise be. Lots to say of course, but shall 'keep schtum' for now...
By chiefbrody
I'll not say too much about plot, but I thought it was good, and I enjoyed it as an 'event'. They had fun with the many callbacks to the original and sequels, and it was an enjoyable watch. I thought most of the film lacked tension, choosing to focus on slasher rather than stalker. I think I'm pre-disposed to like Halloween films, so I still enjoyed it, probably more than I would have if it was a 'new' slasher. I found myself wondering whether there was anything new to be found in the slasher genre to be honest. I can't remember the last one I was gripped by (anyone have any recommendations?). I did, however, think it ended strongly, and I enjoyed the score. I thought it was similar enough to the original with some variations that distinguish it.

I went to see John Carpenter live straight after and was surprised and happy that he chose to play a cut from the new score too. Unfortunately, my plan to buy the Tour edition of the score was scuppered as they didn't have any in Glasgow. Gutted, and I held off on the Dinked Ed specifically so I could pick one up. Standard edition for me now.

I'll be interested to know what others think of it. I doubt anyone will think it's an all-time classic, but I hope those of us who think it's ok/good aren't doing a 'Phantom Menace' on ourselves!
Last edited by chiefbrody on Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
By chiefbrody
ScoJo wrote:@chief - can't believe you invoked 'Phantom Syndrome'!! ;-)
I know @ScoJo, I'm sorry to bring it up. I feel like I'm a nostalgia-apologist - I find it so difficult to admit an Alien, Carpenter, Star Wars, Rocky or Halloween film is a pile of sh*t.
By ScoJo
chiefbrody wrote:
ScoJo wrote:@chief - can't believe you invoked 'Phantom Syndrome'!! ;-)
I know @ScoJo, I'm sorry to bring it up. I feel like I'm a nostalgia-apologist - I find it so difficult to admit an Alien, Carpenter, Star Wars, Rocky or Halloween film is a pile of sh*t.
Heh...well I'm happy to help you out a bit there- H2 is watchable for various elements, though not very good- but this new one is the first Myers film since then that hasn't been a pile of shit! (and tbh we should all be bloody grateful for that alone! ;-)
By Hatter313
Yeah I like h2 and h4 a lot. but more for loomis than anything else, so from a purely cinematic standpoint I gotta say this was stellar, and the call backs were done perfectly (especially the look over the balcony, just great! )

It’s not a great film, but it’s a very good one.
By chiefbrody
deafmetal wrote:Haven’t caught the film yet, but I just read there is a post-credits scene.
I think that is over-stating what it is, @deaf (not by you, by the various authors of articles referring to it as a post-credits scene).

I'm glad others here seem to share my view of where it stands, in terms of quality. I hope it makes enough money to have justified itself. Not sure I want it to spark more sequels, unless they go for a HIII type diversion!
By Hatter313
also, regarding the truly best part of the film, the score, the track “the shape hunts Allyson” sweet Jesus, but did Carpenter et al pull out the stops for that one!
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote:also, regarding the truly best part of the film, the score, the track “the shape hunts Allyson” sweet Jesus, but did Carpenter et al pull out the stops for that one!
Agreed, Hatter. In fact overall I'm really into the score- like the Lost Themes albums, it's a fine listen right out the gate, but definitely grows and grows with further plays.

That's on top of the trippiness of having a new Horror Master (and fam) treatment of his iconic themes. Crazy times!
By Hatter313
There was an almost warm feeling whenever a classic stinger would pop in, even more so than when the theme would play, it was those sharp little cords, including the one that got a full throated appreciated laugh from the full audience. I’ll wait a few days for this thread to get a little spoilery in case we’ve got lurkers, but I’m sure you know which one I mean.
By Revolver_OcelScott
Hatter313 wrote:Yeah I like h2 and h4 a lot. but more for loomis than anything else, so from a purely cinematic standpoint I gotta say this was stellar, and the call backs were done perfectly (especially the look over the balcony, just great! )

It’s not a great film, but it’s a very good one.
This is exactly my thoughts. The movie was fine, but it has major flaws. Way better than I expected, score is fantastic, movie was better than H20, Ressurection and Rob Zombie's takes (my opinion) I might be in the minority that really disliked the remakes.