A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
Dune is official. Brian Herbert broke the news last night. Denis Villeneuve is signed to direct. The film is under the Legendary Pictures banner. Between this and Blade runner, Villeneuve is really cutting in the high cotton.
https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/8 ... 7400565760
Now how many cheeseburgers and tall cans will it take to get Toto on board?
By Hatter313
Long Live the Fighters!

Ah and now my mind will go to the fan casting place for the next year or so until a cast in announced (if not longer). Thrilled about the director choice...(and i actually really like the Lynch film...[ducks head]) such an awesome book with so much potential. I'd lose my mind if he decided to contact Jodorosky and riff on some of those original designs, he's the type of director to do it i think.
By ScoJo
Alice Braga for Chani!

C'mon Denis, I really want to see some serious diversity up in this mother!!
By deafmetal
Blade Runner AND Dune? Wow, that is some serious faith in this director. I really enjoyed Arrival, so I have high hopes right now.

The spice must flow...
By Mateo Sanboval
That gif is having a similar effect on me to Ambient 1.
By deafmetal
Three years later... warning lots of high-res publicity shots/character spoilers in this article: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... scar-isaac

I am feeling about the same amount of trepidation I did for Blade Runner: 2049, but I enjoyed that film in the theater and even on a second watch. Part of me wonders if it's even worth the effort though, but that's probably just me holding on too tightly to the magical experience those original films were for me in the 80's. I have to wonder if these news films have the same effect on young kids today?
By inksb
deafmetal wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:08 pm Three years later... warning lots of high-res publicity shots/character spoilers in this article: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... scar-isaac

I am feeling about the same amount of trepidation I did for Blade Runner: 2049, but I enjoyed that film in the theater and even on a second watch. Part of me wonders if it's even worth the effort though, but that's probably just me holding on too tightly to the magical experience those original films were for me in the 80's. I have to wonder if these news films have the same effect on young kids today?
I would say no they don't have the same effect as they did back then. When we saw that stuff, it was magical, brand new technology and movie making magic. We have 20 years of CG spectacle films raking in the money at the box office that a majority of the population have seen. DUNE 2020 is made for the folks who love big sci-fi, the original books or movie. It's for our generation not the "kids". That's not to say that there won't be some kids/teens blown away by it, there definitely will be and it will spark some of them to go on and discover the original books.

Personally I have no connection to Dune, I've never read it and have only watched the film in pieces on TV over the years. I think it's one of two Lynch films I've never watched in full. But I am excited to check it out and I even decided to read the book this year, started it a few nights ago. I've had a friend who has been trying to get me to read the book since the mid 90's, this weekend he finally won.
By deafmetal
Good points, @inks. Anyway, I am glad to hear you are finally reading the book. Herbert truly created his own universe in that novel.
By Hatter313
I think the shots look incredible, and Villanueve is one of the few directors who’s work still does that to me. I’m so excited for this....if of course we still have a theater industry after all this
By ScoJo
I'm looking forward to paying twenty bucks to watch this on my iphone :)
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:22 pm
deafmetal wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:08 pm Three years later... warning lots of high-res publicity shots/character spoilers in this article: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... scar-isaac

I would say no they don't have the same effect as they did back then. When we saw that stuff, it was magical, brand new technology and movie making magic. We have 20 years of CG spectacle films raking in the money at the box office that a majority of the population have seen. DUNE 2020 is made for the folks who love big sci-fi, the original books or movie. It's for our generation not the "kids". That's not to say that there won't be some kids/teens blown away by it, there definitely will be and it will spark some of them to go on and discover the original books.

Personally I have no connection to Dune, I've never read it and have only watched the film in pieces on TV over the years. I think it's one of two Lynch films I've never watched in full. But I am excited to check it out and I even decided to read the book this year, started it a few nights ago. I've had a friend who has been trying to get me to read the book since the mid 90's, this weekend he finally won.
I watched Dune for the first time last year (I forgot which cut of it) and really loved it! No affinity with the books.
In the Netherlands movie theatres probably are going to open soon. They have a protocol in place to make sure people adhere to the social distance. No idea yet if the government thinks that protocol is sufficient.
By deafmetal
Trailer is out today. Not sure if that is a new Zimmer tune in the trailer, but it's not doing much for me. Anyway, I will definitely watch this film. I was worried about Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho, but seeing him in costume with the cropped hair is alright. I have some mixed feelings overall, but I think it's more due to the fact that Lynch's film is so ingrained in my mind as my first visual representation of Dune, and that was even before I had read the book for the first time. I was disappointed with the TV miniseries version back from 2000, mostly due to the terrible costuming and CGI, so I hope they fix both of those this time around stick to the great story.
By ScoJo
Honestly? I thought the trailer looked like a video game. That song mashup was terrible (it's Pink Floyd, right?) and I HATE the pretty boy kid from Little Women who is playing Paul. Just a fucking emotionless haircut.

So.... not so much I have to say. After being left utterly cold by Villeneuve's Blade Runner take I can't say I'm especially hyped up for this.

Last edited by ScoJo on Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
By NathanLurker
I haven't seen Timothy Chalamet's acting, never watched any movie of his. The music in the trailer does nothing for me. The trailer looks nice, it's cut in a way that doesn't feel right though. I'm definitely going to see it, I'm very interested in it, even though I have no expectations, since I haven't read the books ( I did see the lynch movie). I truly loved Blade Runner 2049, so I'm expecting to like Dune as well, and hopefully get blown away by it.
By inksb
I just watched the trailer, other than the not so great musical choices, it was a good trailer. I'm excited so it served it's purpose. Sandworm looks crazy
By deafmetal
ScoJo wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:59 pm Honestly? I thought the trailed looked like a video game. That song mashup was terrible (it's Pink Floyd, right?) and I HATE the pretty boy kid from Little Women who is playing Paul. Just a fucking emotionless haircut.

So.... not so much I have to say. After being left utterly cold by Villeneuve's Blade Runner take I can't say I'm especially hyped up for this.
Ah, it's a lame mashup? I'm not too up on my PF, so that's probably why I didn't pick up on it. It was just bad, and sounded like a bad kumbaya thing going on. I also agree with Nathan that the trailer just felt like it was cut oddly, and that music sunk it like a stone. I don't think I have seen this kid in anything, haven't seen Little Women. Paul is supposed to be fifteen years old and small for his age, but I agree I'm not blown away from the tease here. Willing to give it a chance though.
By Jimmy_Mike
I've only seen the dude in Ladybird. He was just fine in that. An expressionless haircut for sure.
By static14
Aside from the Pink Floyd cover (which not only stinks, but feels wildly out of place) I’m Excited for it.
By Hatter313
static14 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:55 pm Aside from the Pink Floyd cover (which not only stinks, but feels wildly out of place) I’m Excited for it.
PF was supposed to do the music for jodorowsky’s version and I’m almost positive that was a deliberate nod. I had the same thought.
By Mateo Sanboval
I had the same niggles as many of you, but I think it is quite literally the price one pays to make a major motion picture in today's Hollywood. I liked idea of the Pink Floyd easter egg, but the song itself is wet trash. Unfortunately that's exactly what studio execs want in their trailers. Much like Johannsson getting 86'd for Zimmer on BR2049, it's a virtual lock that the sullen, vocal fry filled vintage pop/rock cover was a mandate. There seems to be one in nearly every studio sci-fi/action trailer the past few years. I'd blame Donnie Darko, but they probably never saw that film. Also, I have some Momoa fatigue. He is the same in everything. I like him, but he's always himself and that pulled me out of the universe the trailer was trying to create. Hopefully that won't be the case in the film. There were some other cool casting choices though and I'm going to maintain some semblance of cautious optimism going forward. Even if they were fighting suspiciously fast while wearing their force shields.

PS - The first trailer for BR2049 was cut weird, too. It was cut like Generic Tent Pole Film even though the actual movie was better than that. Hopefully that is also the case here.
By deafmetal
Ugh, release date pushed back to October 1st, 2021. Supposedly, the financial failures of both Tenet's theatrical run and Mulan streaming are enough trainwreck things for an entire year. What a mess out there, theaters now closing shop for the remainder of the year or perhaps forever.