A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Aremagod
From just the trailer it looks like a Alien/Prometheus hybrid. I know pretty much the whole world knows what a Xenomorph looks like but it was kind of weird seeing one at the end. Maybe the studio wants the people to know that there will be Xenomorphs in this movie...
By Hatter313
Like a lot of what I see, concerned by some of it too..., but trailers can be misleading. I've got enough hope for this I think.
By ScoJo
Ok. Was lucky enough to see a preview this morning.

In a nutshell.... fucking incredible.

No spoilers, of course....but I'll just say - it bridges the difference in ambition/tone between Alien and Prometheus brilliantly, as it's a horror film but also quite high-minded. It looks freakin' amazing. Cast are superb across the board, with huge nod to Fassbender for his work. And as for the score - well, I'll let you discover for yourself.....plus this motherfucker is hecka scary guys!

I bloody loved every minute of it, and would have happily sat through a second screening straight away. It's really that good. And for my money, as someone who actually enjoys Prometheus quite a bit (despite some terrible character writing...) I actually think that it makes the previous film even better for me in retrospect.

Plus there's a fantastic little Blade Runner easter egg which made me laugh out loud/smile a lot, its done so well.

Ridley, you beautiful bastard. Two thumbs way the fuck up!
By Hatter313
Oh that makes me very happy, seeing it next Thursday night and I was concerned it wouldn't be good after reading some poorer reviews. Can't wait!
By deafmetal
@ScoJo - Ayyy, the hype train has now left the station! Very stoked after reading your mini-review.
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote:Ok. Was lucky enough to see a preview this morning.

In a nutshell.... fucking incredible.

No spoilers, of course....but I'll just say - it bridges the difference in ambition/tone between Alien and Prometheus brilliantly, as it's a horror film but also quite high-minded. It looks freakin' amazing. Cast are superb across the board, with huge nod to Fassbender for his work. And as for the score - well, I'll let you discover for yourself.....plus this motherfucker is hecka scary guys!

I bloody loved every minute of it, and would have happily sat through a second screening straight away. It's really that good. And for my money, as someone who actually enjoys Prometheus quite a bit (despite some terrible character writing...) I actually think that it makes the previous film even better for me in retrospect.

Plus there's a fantastic little Blade Runner easter egg which made me laugh out loud/smile a lot, its done so well.

Ridley, you beautiful bastard. Two thumbs way the fuck up!
Well this is unexpected news. Welcome news mind you, but unexpected all the same. Prometheus left my faith shaken, but I want to believe so I'll try to put that aside for now.
By Aremagod
Good to read that mini review.....after GotG V2 exceeded my high expectations I was hoping Alien: Covenant would do the same.
By Mees
Aremageod wrote:Good to read that mini review.....after GotG V2 exceeded my high expectations of Wartrol I was hoping Alien: Covenant would do the same.
Is this worth watching if you haven't seen the other alien movies?
Last edited by Mees on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
By chiefbrody
I saw it last night. I am in the positive-about-Prometheus camp. I liked Covenant, and would say overall it is better, but less original and ambitious. I think it's similarly flawed, though in different ways to Prometheus. The acting is generally miles better, but it fails the logic test on occasions, and a couple of scenes lost my interest a bit.

@mees, it might in fact be better to see it if you haven't seen any of the Alien films, but I wouldn't watch it without seeing Prometheus.

I'd expect most people to like this more than Prometheus, but it's closer (for me) to Prometheus than Alien, and anyone crushed by Prometheus isn't likely to have their faith restored by Covenant (judging by the live and loud criticism of the film during my screening).

I'd say it's 65% Prometheus
30% Alien/s
5% Predator

Would definitely watch again, and look forward to doing so.
By J.R.
I'm looking forward to seeing this. I liked Prometheus and think Alien is one of the best constructed films ever, and Aliens is the perfect scifi action flick.
By Dollarhyde
Saw it last night and you can add me to the like camp.
Much better film than prometheus in terms of flow, acting and script.
There are some major 'why would you do that?!?!" moments but I think the pace, acting and style of the movie relieve this and, at times, they do to try and give reason for some of these stupid decisions.

Again Ridley really knows how to use darkness in movies, and this movie is dark.

The one criticism that hangs in my head is in regard to how the film adds to and treats the alien/prometheus lore. Resulting in more questions than answers which is a bit frustrating. I don't want to give any spoilers.

Maybe my favourite planet landing sequence out of all the alien films, need to see it again though.

Loved all the designs too!
Last edited by Dollarhyde on Fri May 19, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Hatter313
I mostly liked it, despite some questionable CGI and some mythological retcons that I didn't love, but some really great stuff nonetheless.

A note on the score, he uses A LOT of goldsmiths material, which is great, but I noticed two things that struck me as funny.

The opening titles are the original intended titles from the first film that Scott made goldsmith rescore, AND when the xeno shows up at one point the appearance is punctuated by a horn cue that goldsmith had intended to be the big chaps motif originally, but was also cut by Scott during the rescore. Goldsmith was outspoken about how much he liked his original score ideas so I found it funny that decades later Ridley finally comes around. The thing is, unless you are people who obsess over film scores (so, basically us haha) I wonder if the significance of his musical choices are apparent.

I'm going to listen to the score on it's own later since other than the goldsmith cues and the Prometheus theme I didn't really notice the new material too much.

Also there's an awesome set price that is designed from my favorite painting isle of the dead by bocken, which giger had done his own variation as well, although the set harkened more to the original art than his variation.

Overall, I give it a B right now. Some of the alien stuff seemed obligatory and out of place, but I liked it, but fassbender playing a miltonian satan type alone is worth the ticket. Heavy on classical and romantic imagery and themes for the literati among us.