A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By texasvinyl
Denis Villeneuve's new film Arrival is exceptional. It is a dramatic sci-fi thriller with a resonant emotional core.

Max Richter's emotional piece "On the Nature of Daylight" opens and closes the movie, and the remainder of the (excellent!) score was composed by Johann Johannsen. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get an Academy nod for this one.

Villeneuve and Johannsen have worked together on Prisoners, Sicario and now Arrival.

I won't spoil anything, but it was a really great movie. I'm curious to hear what other people thought of it. Off the top of my head I can't think of a better film I've seen this year.
By deafmetal
Planning to see this tomorrow with the family. Glad to hear more positive reviews.
By deafmetal
I found this film to be very engaging and thoughtful, which contrasts well with the backdrop of giant floating spaceships and strange aliens. The pacing was tight, and the two hours went by very quickly. I had no idea what to expect, and the film kept me guessing. Gorgeous cinematography and overall art design throughout. It was really interesting to watch on a large projection screen. The score came across well, and I would like to hear it by itself. There were parts where I couldn't tell if it was added sound effects or part of the original tracks, but that is probably a good thing. Recommended.