A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
So I saw this last night at an Alamo Victory screening...Interested to hear forums take.

the original is one of the few if not the only "found footage" films i ever really enjoyed, so i was willing to give this one a shot based on the creative staff alone and the fact that i always admired the mythology the original built. After seeing the new film, I can say that I really liked it but with some caveats. Basically, I felt that it may have been a waste of Windgard and Barret's talents. It was basically the original film redrafted and remade by seasoned filmmakers. It was effective, fun, and as well done as it could have been I think, but still left me feeling a bit underwhelmed. There's also a tease in there of something that could have been blown out and really interesting if they had decided to get really wild in the last act, but then they played it relatively safe.

I can't decide how I really felt about it. I enjoyed it int he theater, and i'm still thinking about it, but i don't know which way my opinion will eventually settle. But I do feel that for better or worse, I almost wish that Windgard and Barrett hadn't spent the last two or so years making this when they could have been coming up with another original gem like You're Next and The Guest.

There is actually some very subtle ambient scoring in the movie that Windgard did himself. in the Q and A afterwards he said that he would be putting out a soundtrack that will include additional material with some "synthy" (his words :)) melodies he developed that didn't quite fit with the way the film was shot. There are some very nice ambient bits that didn't break the style of the film but added greatly to the atmosphere. I think it's a safe assumption that if said score made it to wax, it sounds like a DW release for sure, but who knows.

Anyway, interested in hearing what others will make of it. cheers.