A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By deafmetal
I obviously live under a rock, and I just heard about the upcoming film adaption today, starring Idris Elba as Roland and Matthew McConaughey as Marten Broadcloak. I know nothing else about it other than the Director is Nikolaj Arcel, who I am not at all familiar with.

Should I slit my wrists now, or just wait until opening night?
Last edited by deafmetal on Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By deafmetal
@Aremagod - Ah, a modern-day sequel could possibly be easier to digest than some kind of odd adaptation of all the books so far.

I cringed when I saw this though:
By Mateo Sanboval
I had no idea this was that far into production. Remember when this was going to be a trilogy of films, helmed by Ron Howard, and supplemented by two full length TV seasons on HBO?
By Hatter313
Matthew McConaughey's casting is to my mind perfect, he can play {insert name character is going by here as to not spoil anything of new readers) with the gravitas and mystery needed by some incarnations and the charming good old boy smirk needed for..ahem...others. and Elba is an awesome actor so I'm sure he will be excellent. obviously his casting will change a lot of the initial tension between him and susannah, but otherwise not much will need to change i think. as far as i know, it won't be a direct adaptation of the gunslinger but instead the film series will aim to be an adaptation of the series as a whole, so i expect some condensing/changes/shuffling around. for a series with time jumps, dimensional thin spots, and a cyclical nature woven throughout, it could be done very well, and hopefully will be.

Plenty of the books take place in NY, and its not terribly hard to find parts of manhattan that look like they still did in the time periods that they need to portray, some set decoration is obviously needed, but overall filing in NYC is expected considering 3 major characters have their origins here.
By deafmetal
@Hatter - Thanks, that is helping to ease some of the anxiety. So, is it a multiple-film adaptation of the "greater story" and not just a one-off sequel?

Also, I see Ron Howard has a producer credit.
By Aremagod
Just think of the movie as Roland starting his journey again after book 7.....things will be the same but different. Gives them plenty of leeway to make whatever changes to the books they do.

Edit: I just read that this movie might start at the middle of the journey but since Roland has had this journey many times and I'm sure each one was similar but different, I'm not worried about a faithful representation to the pages but more the characters.
By Hatter313
seriously, put Matthew McConaughey in a denim jacket with smiley face button talking about time and thins spots and "hunkering down"...if nothing else he'll be perfect.
By deafmetal
I was wondering what was up with the release date for this film, but I have been trying to avoid any spoilers. I randomly saw a new book cover for The Wind Through The Keyhole that said "coming soon as a major motion picture" which had me curious, so I re-read the above wiki page:
Stephen King and Nikolaj Arcel have confirmed that the 2017 film The Dark Tower is a sequel to the events of The Dark Tower book series, following Roland Deschain on his "last time round" the cycle to the titular Dark Tower, equipped with the Horn of Eld.[13] The film is set to be released on August 4, 2017 in 3D and 2D by Columbia Pictures.[14][15][16] The film has been stated a combination of the first novel The Gunslinger and the third The Waste Lands, while also incorporating significant story points from The Wind Through the Keyhole.
That just made me even more curious, so I just watched the trailer. It looks like a lot of material from The Waste Lands will be featured, but I didn't catch anything from TWTTK at first glance. I like Idras Elba as Roland, but I'm hoping they don't go overboard with all the slo-mo gun play. I would much rather see this an otherworldly western than a modernized action film. Ah well, at least it looks decent enough. Here is the one-sheet which could be flipped around:

By Mateo Sanboval
I don't think this looks good at all. But here's to hoping I'm wrong as per usual!
By Hatter313
that trailer.....did not fill me with confidence....and that's about the best i can do right now..

here's hoping IT and the upcoming Castle Rock anthology from hulu will cover us.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote:that trailer.....did not fill me with confidence....and that's about the best i can do right now..

here's hoping IT and the upcoming Castle Rock anthology from hulu will cover us.
Hear hear.
By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote:This film was a monumental disappointment. Do not waste your time.
The trailer looked like a mess and since the film came out, that's all I've heard. Usually that virtually guarantees I'll see a film, but I actually think I'm going to give this a miss.
By Mateo Sanboval
maxlevel wrote:The grammar of King’s The Dark Tower is awful. Should just be Dark Tower, or, the Dark Tower with no owner.
I was holding out hope for it to be titled, Stephen King's The Dark Tower, Vol. 0 (based on the novel, Push, by Sapphire)