A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Aremagod
Watched it last night and wanted to see what others thought of it. I didn't care for Snyder's take on Superman in Man of Steel as I don't think Snyder gets the character. I probably went into the viewing biased against the movie due to multiple factors...Snyder, Affleck's casting, the terrible trailers, the critical reception, etc but I was more open minded than I thought I'd be.

To me it was a convoluted mess.....a 90% shit sandwich with bits of brilliance that made me wish for what it could have been.
I'm not going to post specifics for spoiler reasons so generalities...I don't get the praise for Affleck as a great Batman as he just seemed to be Ben Affleck. Jesse Eisenberg plays Lex like he's the Riddler and it completely rips me out of the movie every time he's on screen. The score is terrible in relation to the movie that instead of immersing me in moments it takes me out of moments due to it being inappropriate for the scene.

Good moments include a Batman fight that is wonderfully edited and choreographed, Amy Adams, Gal Gadot in certain moments....I think she is getting overpraised but she does have moments. Henry Cavill has good moments but I want to punch Snyder in the face because it could have been better if he understood the character.

It's probably not as bad as the critics slamming it but it isn't good. I don't think they get the characters like Marvel gets theirs or like Ryan Reynolds gets Deadpool which is why we got that fabulous Deadpool movie.
I don't know . . . I'm not compromised by different takes on characters. I'm used to starting a new comic series and getting a completely different version of each character's background and whatnot already. It's a different universe; there's no absolute character to get. I didn't hear much complaining about either Burton's or Nolan's take on the Joker, yet they were polar. I thought this take was pretty interesting. Luthor actually captivated me. I can't remember ANY series in which he acted like that, but he was devious and enigmatic and bold like Luthor tends to be (although not even a hundredth as charming). And the costumes were on point - probably the best of any superhero movie to date. That along with the explosive fight scenes, I thought this was a pretty fair introduction into the prospective Justice League series.
I didn't dislike it in the least. script needed a lot of work, but I loved both Affleck and Gadot tremendously in their roles. Agree with Walter on Lex...something about his take really appealed to me even though it was so different from what we expect, but i was ok with that.
Little Walter wrote: I didn't hear much complaining about either Burton's or Nolan's take on the Joker, yet they were polar.
I don't think you heard complaining because they were true to the established heart of the Joker character even being two different takes on the character......Snyder's Superman to me just feels wrong.
Aremagod wrote:I don't think you heard complaining because they were true to the established heart of the Joker character even being two different takes on the character......Snyder's Superman to me just feels wrong.
That's fair. With this and Man of Steel it seemed like they just wanted a depressed Superman for contemporary audiences. But I don't think that's unreasonable. Post-9/11 America's government and media are more skeptical and cynical. The "good faith" approach is outdated, or at least unrealistic. I liked Wayne's line in this: "We're criminals, Alfred. We've always been criminals." It demonstrates the complacency and resulting apathy with how vigilantism might be perceived nowadays. It makes sense that Superman's very character might be compromised by negative labels and the whole god-complex. How Snyder approached him is reminiscent of how he saw Moore tackle Dr. Manhattan in the equally cynical Cold War setting. That shot where that woman makes a Superman distress logo on top of their flooded home as it pans up to Superman hovering uses that precise symbolism. "God exists, and he's American." No, it doesn't cut into the heart of Superman, and it's also not particularly innovative or riveting, but it's just realistic.
Little Walter wrote:
Aremagod wrote:I don't think you heard complaining because they were true to the established heart of the Joker character even being two different takes on the character......Snyder's Superman to me just feels wrong.
That's fair. With this and Man of Steel it seemed like they just wanted a depressed Superman for contemporary audiences. But I don't think that's unreasonable. Post-9/11 America's government and media are more skeptical and cynical. The "good faith" approach is outdated, or at least unrealistic. I liked Wayne's line in this: "We're criminals, Alfred. We've always been criminals." It demonstrates the complacency and resulting apathy with how vigilantism might be perceived nowadays. It makes sense that Superman's very character might be compromised by negative labels and the whole god-complex. How Snyder approached him is reminiscent of how he saw Moore tackle Dr. Manhattan in the equally cynical Cold War setting. That shot where that woman makes a Superman distress logo on top of their flooded home as it pans up to Superman hovering uses that precise symbolism. "God exists, and he's American."
That's fair also and I can buy into that but does Superman need to be that? Shouldn't Superman be that beacon of hope because post-9/11 America is cynical and skeptical? How many dark superheroes do we need?

And I say all this as a bigger Marvel fan but I would love to enjoy a good DC universe.
also, musically, any time Junkie XL came in (and i am confident that his contributions are easy to tell from Zimmer's) there was an energy that really picked up, specifically Batman's dream sequence that echoed his fury road score, and the impossibly cool wonder woman theme.