A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:15 pm Finished Bly last night. I loved it. The ending was fitting and wasn't "everyone lives happily ever after" like Hill House.

If any of you are participating in ScoJo's Halloween festival, I'm very excited about tonight's offering. I discovered it a few years back and was completely floored by. It Follows seemed to have taken a bit from this one (or that was quite the coincidence) and the Final Destination films drew some inspiration as well.
The finale of Hill House was pretty ruinous for me unfortunately. Way too sappy, I recall thinking at the time that it played out with a teeth-gritting Wonder Years/Thirty Something vibe! (I may have been a bit harsh but you get my drift..)

It's when I also realised that the series was Six Feet Under with Ghosties ;-) But there was much that I really liked overall, and the youtube vid showing all 43 hidden ghosts actually blew my tiny mind.

By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:58 pm
inksb wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:15 pm Finished Bly last night. I loved it. The ending was fitting and wasn't "everyone lives happily ever after" like Hill House.

If any of you are participating in ScoJo's Halloween festival, I'm very excited about tonight's offering. I discovered it a few years back and was completely floored by. It Follows seemed to have taken a bit from this one (or that was quite the coincidence) and the Final Destination films drew some inspiration as well.
The finale of Hill House was pretty ruinous for me unfortunately. Way too sappy, I recall thinking at the time that it played out with a teeth-gritting Wonder Years/Thirty Something vibe! (I may have been a bit harsh but you get my drift..)

It's when I also realised that the series was Six Feet Under with Ghosties ;-) But there was much that I really liked overall, and the youtube vid showing all 43 hidden ghosts actually blew my tiny mind.

The hidden ghosts were the best part of Hill House. The farther I get from my viewing of Hill House the more I dislike it, not because of the ending but just how much I didn't care about any one in that show. Your comparison to Six Feet Under is interesting as I completely get where you are coming from but it is also the perfect example of how you write complex unlikeable characters in a show which Hill House failed to do imo. You given them moments that you can relate to and feel for, Nate sucked he was a shitty person but he tried. His family was broken and they all did terrible shit to each other at some point through out but they were human and made mistakes. Hill House just felt like terrible people doing terrible things to each to only better themselves, I didn't care for any one in that show. I felt bad for Nell but that's because none of her awful siblings believed or helped her. Who knows maybe it's just rich peoples plight versus a normal persons struggles which is why I connect with Six Feet Under and don't with Hill House?
By inksb
I tried watching Hack-o-lantern last night and got about an hour into and decided to watch something that wasn't boring. I'll go back and finish it maybe this week, I hope something happens because the first 60 minutes or so was awfully slow
By Hatter313
I have no interest in bly, I tried but my sourness about hill house overshadows. I just don’t like Flanagan approach to things, I keep thinking maybe “this one will change my mind” but he’s just not for me. I did like the theme from “the innocents” being incorporated into that first episode though, and it seemed there was SLIGHTLY more fidelity this time to the source material. I think that’s my other thing, are you using the source material to create something new and exiting or are you exploiting the intellectual capital of a classic work of the supernatural? I’m just saying if next year he busts out with “the haunting of sleepy hollow” or “The haunting on dunwhich” or “the haunting of owl creek bridge” then I’m gonna have words

Also finally tried midsommar, and I know this is going to be a hot take, but I don’t care for Ari Aster either. I think he thinks he’s above his material and I feel that through his work and I don’t know, could be totally off base but “horrifyingly sad” doesn’t equal “horror” for me and I just can’t get into him.

On the other hand, finally watched...

Luz - after seeing the love it was getting on here a while back. Awesome movie, clever framing, loved it.

Gretel and Hansel - great vibe for the season, great mood, wasn’t crazy about the narration choice but I always like Alice Krieg and she was pitch perfect. Also loved the design and the anachronistic architecture, like it wasn’t set in any particular time or place and that really added to it. Good score and cool take on the material. Norman’s kid makes good movies if you are in the mood for a slower pace.
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:37 pm I have no interest in bly, I tried but my sourness about hill house overshadows. I just don’t like Flanagan approach to things, I keep thinking maybe “this one will change my mind” but he’s just not for me. I did like the theme from “the innocents” being incorporated into that first episode though, and it seemed there was SLIGHTLY more fidelity this time to the source material. I think that’s my other thing, are you using the source material to create something new and exiting or are you exploiting the intellectual capital of a classic work of the supernatural? I’m just saying if next year he busts out with “the haunting of sleepy hollow” or “The haunting on dunwhich” or “the haunting of owl creek bridge” then I’m gonna have words
Just a bit of information in case you didn't know, Flanagan only directed the first episode, the rest of the episodes are directed by various other talent and it feels better for that. Axelle Carolyn directed ep 8 and it felt very different from the rest. I'm not saying you'll like this but I'm just putting it out there that this felt so different from Hill House which I didn't like that if you are staying away strictly because Flanagan was the show runner I think you may be missing out.

Glad you liked Luz. Everyone should watch it
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:37 pm I have no interest in bly, I tried but my sourness about hill house overshadows. I just don’t like Flanagan approach to things, I keep thinking maybe “this one will change my mind” but he’s just not for me. I did like the theme from “the innocents” being incorporated into that first episode though, and it seemed there was SLIGHTLY more fidelity this time to the source material. I think that’s my other thing, are you using the source material to create something new and exiting or are you exploiting the intellectual capital of a classic work of the supernatural? I’m just saying if next year he busts out with “the haunting of sleepy hollow” or “The haunting on dunwhich” or “the haunting of owl creek bridge” then I’m gonna have words

Also finally tried midsommar, and I know this is going to be a hot take, but I don’t care for Ari Aster either. I think he thinks he’s above his material and I feel that through his work and I don’t know, could be totally off base but “horrifyingly sad” doesn’t equal “horror” for me and I just can’t get into him.

On the other hand, finally watched...

Luz - after seeing the love it was getting on here a while back. Awesome movie, clever framing, loved it.

Gretel and Hansel - great vibe for the season, great mood, wasn’t crazy about the narration choice but I always like Alice Krieg and she was pitch perfect. Also loved the design and the anachronistic architecture, like it wasn’t set in any particular time or place and that really added to it. Good score and cool take on the material. Norman’s kid makes good movies if you are in the mood for a slower pace.
I'll echo @inks regarding Bly - it really benefitted from the broad roster of directors (and writers!). It has stayed with me all day.

I'm with you too @hatter - never been in the Flannegan camp. I think Oculus was probably the only one which I liked, tho in retrospect it feels like it was pretty damn goofy. My dispassion turned to dislike with Hush and Dr Sleep however. Thought the latter was a bloody mess and left me thoroughly bummed.

I plan on rewatching Gretel & Hansel this week- I really liked it, and think a second watch will be even better. Oz slaps!

By Hatter313
On the strength of both of your recos I’ll give Bly another chance.

Oz slaps indeed! I just showed a friend “blackcoats daughter” and he was vocally upset that it didn’t get the praise we both think it deserves, and I am the Pretty Thing That Lives In The House really hit me in the right way even though I’m pretty sure next to nothing actually happens for 90 minutes. Something about this mood grabbed me though. So far he’s 3 for 3 for me, looking forward to seeing what else he’s got.
By inksb
I didn't really care what happened in I Am The Pretty Thing, it was so beautiful and captivating, I was just glued to the screen.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:19 pm I didn't really care what happened in I Am The Pretty Thing, it was so beautiful and captivating, I was just glued to the screen.
Ditto. And Elvis' musical evocations on his brother's first two films are fully my thing. Wonder why they didn't collab on Gretel?
Kicking myself actually, that I didnt grab his album when it randomly showed up in a local charity shop.

By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:19 pm I didn't really care what happened in I Am The Pretty Thing, it was so beautiful and captivating, I was just glued to the screen.
100% edge of my couch the whole run time when it came out. Just sort of breathed a little when it ended. Not sure what it is, just something about it.

And @scojo yeah I was wondering the ame thing, I LOVED Elvis Perkins scores, especially blackcoats daughter. I think I read somewhere he didn't particularly care for film scoring and probably wouldn’t have done it if it wasn’t his brothers movie. Shame, he’s very good at it.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:24 pm
100% edge of my couch the whole run time when it came out. Just sort of breathed a little when it ended. Not sure what it is, just something about it.

And @scojo yeah I was wondering the ame thing, I LOVED Elvis Perkins scores, especially blackcoats daughter. I think I read somewhere he didn't particularly care for film scoring and probably wouldn’t have done it if it wasn’t his brothers movie. Shame, he’s very good at it.
If you've not heard his LP 'Ash Wednesday', it's beautiful classic folk/singer-songwriter. The record goes for the bucks now sadly.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O ... 0IbXCPzqTA[/youtube]

By vinyljunkie
was Elvis' score for "I am the Pretty Things..." ever released in any format? Cant seem to find it anywhere, would love to hear it outside of the film!
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:09 pm And what the heck, whilst I'm recommending pretty music by long-haired fellows who did music for scary movies - check out Orville Stoeber's (Let's Scare Jessica to Death) 1971 LP 'Songs', it's magic:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj9eP2I_Qw4[/youtube]
Oh all of this is delightful. Thank you sir!
By Hatter313
vinyljunkie wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:52 pm was Elvis' score for "I am the Pretty Things..." ever released in any format? Cant seem to find it anywhere, would love to hear it outside of the film!
I don’t think so
By vinyljunkie
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:39 pm
vinyljunkie wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:52 pm was Elvis' score for "I am the Pretty Things..." ever released in any format? Cant seem to find it anywhere, would love to hear it outside of the film!
I don’t think so
unfortunately, yeah, that's what I thought... thanks
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:38 pm
ScoJo wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:09 pm And what the heck, whilst I'm recommending pretty music by long-haired fellows who did music for scary movies - check out Orville Stoeber's (Let's Scare Jessica to Death) 1971 LP 'Songs', it's magic:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj9eP2I_Qw4[/youtube]
Oh all of this is delightful. Thank you sir!
You're very welcome bud. Inspired by my own rec'd, I played the Stoeber lp on our portable battery powered deck whilst hanging out in the garden with good friends we've not seen since The Unpleasantness began, and a big old fire. A+ confluence of elements! :D

By inksb

I knew absolutely nothing of this film. I've seen a few positive opinions but didn't read anything about it. I sat down to watch it last night, I was tired and kind of not in the mood for a movie. The first 15 minutes I kept picking up my phone checking stuff and browsing (generally not a good sign for a first time watch). Shortly after that the film started to open up and dig it's little moldy claws into me. It kept drawing me in more and more as the story progressed. Let me tell you the final 30 minutes were some intense edge of your seat shit. I really loved it and highly recommend everyone check it out, I feel like it may even fit into @ScoJo's 13 Days of Halloween. Try not to read about it, watch it and let me know what your thoughts are
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:12 pm Image

I knew absolutely nothing of this film. I've seen a few positive opinions but didn't read anything about it. I sat down to watch it last night, I was tired and kind of not in the mood for a movie. The first 15 minutes I kept picking up my phone checking stuff and browsing (generally not a good sign for a first time watch). Shortly after that the film started to open up and dig it's little moldy claws into me. It kept drawing me in more and more as the story progressed. Let me tell you the final 30 minutes were some intense edge of your seat shit. I really loved it and highly recommend everyone check it out, I feel like it may even fit into @ScoJo's 13 Days of Halloween. Try not to read about it, watch it and let me know what your thoughts are
One of the best 'horror' films this year, all the better for actually being about something and not just a scare machine - adult, intelligent and quite affecting.

By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:18 pm
One of the best 'horror' films this year, all the better for actually being about something and not just a scare machine - adult, intelligent and quite affecting.

So many great moments in it. The scene with the ring was terrifying (sorry for being vague don't want to ruin anything). Films don't often make me feel anxious, that last 30 minutes just got into my head.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:22 pm
ScoJo wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:18 pm

So many great moments in it. The scene with the ring was terrifying (sorry for being vague don't want to ruin anything). Films don't often make me feel anxious, that last 30 minutes just got into my head.
just now finished this. Really great stuff. Brilliant sound design. Those creaking floors... Also love it that it's only women. If not for the praise of you and ScoJo I probably wouldn't have watched this.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Mad doctor double feature.
I, Madman was a first time watch, did not really click with me. Playing it safe with the second one, for me this one just gets better with age.
Attachments
B519070F-4AF4-485D-95E8-18755E224690.jpeg
B519070F-4AF4-485D-95E8-18755E224690.jpeg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 1802 times
5F99B4E7-434C-4055-9C15-15324533805A.jpeg
5F99B4E7-434C-4055-9C15-15324533805A.jpeg (2.77 MiB) Viewed 1802 times
By inksb
Oh man I loved I, Madman. Bummer it didn't click, I know it's not for everyone.

House by the Cemetery is on the list of films to watch soon, I recently got the 4K release.
By ChrisMcQueen007
inksb wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:00 am Oh man I loved I, Madman. Bummer it didn't click, I know it's not for everyone.

House by the Cemetery is on the list of films to watch soon, I recently got the 4K release.
I‘ll give I, Madman another try eventually. I quite liked Jenny Wright and the overall premise, maybe I just wasn‘t in the right frame of mind.

The 4K release of HBTC looks spectacular, Blu Underground did a great job with that one.